Options if unmatched for fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LatinDoctor

MD / Internal Medicine PGY-3
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the options if you go unmatched on a J1 visa? Do you have to do a waiver and re-apply in 3 years? Can you quit the waiver in one year and re-apply? What are all the options to re-apply in one year?

Members don't see this ad.

What are the options if you go unmatched on a J1 visa? Do you have to do a waiver and re-apply in 3 years? Can you quit the waiver in one year and re-apply? What are all the options to re-apply in one year?
Do a chief year or a 1yr fellowship… say heart failure if you are looking to do cards or hospice or geriatrics.
Otherwise you would have to complete your waiver.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! And those options are available after the match or it would be too late?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! And those options are available after the match or it would be too late?
If you are worried you won’t match…you should be thinking about plan b…you can scramble into an unfilled spot for something else, but that is risky… would think about maybe applying to a 1 yr fellowship and rank after your first choice as back up…hospice is a good one for hem/onc or obesity for gi…

Reactions: 1 user
If you are worried you won’t match…you should be thinking about plan b…you can scramble into an unfilled spot for something else, but that is risky… would think about maybe applying to a 1 yr fellowship and rank after your first choice as back up…hospice is a good one for hem/onc or obesity for gi…
Thank you! I am applying to Cards.. I don't know what will happen but I want to be prepared for any outcome..