Optometry Admission Timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tifftiff5

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just found this site and it looks like it could be of some help, well at least I hope so. :)
Basically, I'm graduating this June with a bachelors degree and I'm going to take a year off before going to optometry school, but I'm just confused with how the admission timeline works.
I know I have to use OptomCAS and such, but I'm confused as to when I would have to apply to attend school in fall of 2018.
Since I'm going to have a gap year, that means I will not be attending school the fall of 2017, but the year after. So, when would I need to have the OAT completed and the application submitted by?

Any help would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

If you plan on attending school in fall 2018, you would apply this upcoming summer! I believe the next application cycle opens up on July 1, 2017. You can submit the application basically anytime between July 1 up to the deadline, which can vary depending on the school, but amost all optometry schools run on a rolling admission basis, meaning that they review applications in the order they receive it so its best to submit your application as soon as possible to give yourself the better chance of being invited for an interview. Some schools start interviews as early as September so I would recommend taking the OAT sometime in June-July and having your application submitted by August if you have everything ready by then. Good luck with everything! :)

If you plan on attending school in fall 2018, you would apply this upcoming summer! I believe the next application cycle opens up on July 1, 2017. You can submit the application basically anytime between July 1 up to the deadline, which can vary depending on the school, but amost all optometry schools run on a rolling admission basis, meaning that they review applications in the order they receive it so its best to submit your application as soon as possible to give yourself the better chance of being invited for an interview. Some schools start interviews as early as September so I would recommend taking the OAT sometime in June-July and having your application submitted by August if you have everything ready by then. Good luck with everything! :)

Thank you so much!!
And I heard that the OAT scores can be submitted after you submitted the application, is that true? Or does everything have to be submitted in together?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much!!
And I heard that the OAT scores can be submitted after you submitted the application, is that true? Or does everything have to be submitted in together?

Yes I believe you can submit your OAT scores after you submit the application but schools most likely won't extend an interview to you until they have everything.