OR shoes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Not NPO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for new shoes to wear in OR. any suggestions??

Members don't see this ad.

I just wear sneakers. I feel like I see less and less people wearing Danskos/Calzuros etc. Makes sense if you’re a surgeon standing on your feet 12 hours a day, but otherwise Danskos are really clunky to walk in.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Used to wear merrell jungle mocs but I found the heel wore down fast and they quickly became dirty. Switched to calzuros and so far have been liking them.

I wear Sanuks. I have flat feet so anything with actual support hurts by the end of the day.

adidas 93/17

Reactions: 1 user
Brooks running shoes for me. I replace them about every 6 months. Started wearing them with custom orthotics when I was supervising and easily hitting 10K steps a day and struggling with plantar fasciitis. Definitely walk much less now, but it ain’t broke so going to leave it alone.

Birkenstock Bostons
I’m on my 6-7th pair of Boston’s. Took the plunge and never looked back.

Get the soft footbed and there’s virtually no break in period. The normal non-padded soles take about a week to break in and get comfy.

Three years ago I got these: Keen PTC Slip-On II. They're still going strong (just changed the insoles a couple times)

Men's PTC Slip-On II

They're waterproof (and whatever-else you encounter in the OR-proof) and have good grip. They feel like wide relaxed shoes, not at all like awful clogs.

Can you walk fast in the Boston's? Sometimes I'm hiking up 3 flights of stairs to respond to an airway, this is why I never like the calzuros/danskos, they're comfy and good for posture but I'm a fast walker.
I'm in merrells now, comfy but I'd rather a slip on

Can you walk fast in the Boston's? Sometimes I'm hiking up 3 flights of stairs to respond to an airway, this is why I never like the calzuros/danskos, they're comfy and good for posture but I'm a fast walker.
I'm in merrells now, comfy but I'd rather a slip on
I’ve never felt like they hold me back. You can adjust the strap over the instep to make it as secure as you want. As they break in, I’ll gradually need to tighten the strap.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m on my 6-7th pair of Boston’s. Took the plunge and never looked back.

Get the soft footbed and there’s virtually no break in period. The normal non-padded soles take about a week to break in and get comfy.

I bought Birkenstock Boston’s in residency. They’re basically a less comfortable alternative to Crocs, but at least they cost 5 times as much.

I actually wear UltraBoosts based off an older version of this thread in this forum. They’re very comfortable.

Merrell Moab Adventure mocs. They're comfortable, breathable, have great traction, and nice insulation. Used some Clarks loafers before, but the tread wasn't so nice, and they would start falling apart after six months to a year.

$10-15 shoes from Walmart. Yup. I have 2 pairs I trade out every day.

Nike Killshots or other various Nike sneakers. Tell me more about these Ultraboosts. Are they just extremely cushioned or what?

Crocs will not only leave your feet comfy and odor-free, but they're as fast as lightning when you're responding to that airway pager, plus the ladies LOVE EM

Hate to say it, but I'm still a Dansko guy. Not too warm, lots of protection, durable AF (still on the pair I bought when I started on faculty, NINE years ago). Sure I roll an ankle once in awhile, but nothing's perfect.

Crocs will not only leave your feet comfy and odor-free, but they're as fast as lightning when you're responding to that airway pager, plus the ladies LOVE EM

pFnb9tQ.jpg

Interchange between Sanita ( original maker of Dansko) and Hoka One One when I'm gonna be on my feet more than 16 hrs. Usually switch them after 8 hrs to off load certain area of my foot.

Another vote for adidas ultraboost. They are worth every penny, especially if you get them on sale

Does anyone wear all birds and comment on if they are worth it ? Thinking of getting these and washing them every few weeks

Everyone I see that wears Calzuros, walks like a damned duck.

New Balance running shoes for me...

Does anyone wear all birds and comment on if they are worth it ? Thinking of getting these and washing them every few weeks

Got a pair. They say they can be worn without socks. My opinion is they can ONLY be worn without socks. They're uncomfortable when I've got socks on, but really comfortable without. That being said, I don't like wearing my hospital shoes elsewhere, so my Allbirds are strictly used for throwing on after I've been home barefoot for a while and need to go outside for a minute (trash, mail, walk the dog, etc). Waste of money given what I use them for.

Adidas Boost in the hospital. Got a pair of PureBoost I love currently, going to buy some UltraBoost in the near future.

Dansko Wayne. Slip-on.Comfortable. Last forever. Fluids wipe off easily. Can stand all day. Not clunky like the clogs

While I don’t recommend it, I have done a few cases in flip flops.

Started with Crocs, not comfy at all. Upgraded to super birki, they were great and comfortable until they started to fall apart. And they also had no ventilation so my feet reeked. Next were Keens, they are functional, not bad shoes but eh. Now I swap with calzuro, and man they are taking time to get comfortable in, good for standing but walking it's like it's going to flop off even though it's my size. I wanted to be able to vent my foot but less comfort than I would like...

Lucchese barnboot with the rubber slip resistant sole. Once worn in it's unbelievable comfy. Keep'em fresh with some mink oil every once and a while. Although you can get a similarly comfy boot from Ariat for half the price but I like the Lucchese quality.
Barn Boot | Lucchese - Since 1883.

I have a couple of pairs of Lucchese’s but they’re too tight in the toe for every day use plus the leather soles are pretty loud in a hospital hallway.
It looks like there are 2 types of barn boots and one, the Rudy, has a wide toe. Do you have those and can you feel the difference vs other boot toes? I could go for some more boots to rotate with my UltraBoosts. With wide toes and rubber soles those Lucchese Barn Boots sounds like a good option.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a couple of pairs of Lucchese’s but they’re too tight in the toe for every day use plus the wooden soles are pretty loud in a hospital hallway.
I can tell you why they are too tight in the toes...
pointy-mexican-boots2-550x365.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
I have a couple of pairs of Lucchese’s but they’re too tight in the toe for every day use plus the wooden soles are pretty loud in a hospital hallway.
It looks like there are 2 types of barn boots and one, the Rudy, has a wide toe. Do you have those and can you feel the difference vs other boot toes? I could go for some more boots to rotate with my UltraBoosts and with wide toes and rubber soles those Lucchese Barn Boots sounds like a good option.

I have two pairs of Lucchese's that have fit me just fine but I don't have a very wide foot so I'm 10.5D. Obviously there's the breaking in period where they are pretty tight around the top and midfoot but they now fit like a glove. Wooden soles are pretty loud and slippery which is why I only use the rubber soles in the hospital. Plus they are extra comfy.

I have two pairs of Lucchese's that have fit me just fine but I don't have a very wide foot so I'm 10.5D. Obviously there's the breaking in period where they are pretty tight around the top and midfoot but they now fit like a glove. Wooden soles are pretty loud and slippery which is why I only use the rubber soles in the hospital. Plus they are extra comfy.

Oops, I meant leather soles. Anyway, I’ve had my Lucchese Ropers for like 12 years so they’re pretty broken in. They’re comfortable for a few days but then the toe squeeze gets uncomfortable. Lots of people seem to wear them every day so maybe it’s just me idk

Last edited by a moderator:
Hate to say it, but I'm still a Dansko guy. Not too warm, lots of protection, durable AF (still on the pair I bought when I started on faculty, NINE years ago). Sure I roll an ankle once in awhile, but nothing's perfect.
"Sure I roll an ankle once in a while". Hilarious.
This doesn't bother you? Like one day you could really injure yourself?

I have a couple of pairs of Lucchese’s but they’re too tight in the toe for every day use plus the leather soles are pretty loud in a hospital hallway.
It looks like there are 2 types of barn boots and one, the Rudy, has a wide toe. Do you have those and can you feel the difference vs other boot toes? I could go for some more boots to rotate with my UltraBoosts. With wide toes and rubber soles those Lucchese Barn Boots sounds like a good option.

Look into the Ariat thunderstocks or western heritage. I have wide feet and I dont have this problem. I ordered 0.5 size up in the EE. So 10EE. Fits like a glove. If it feels a little loose, switch to thick wool socks, and itll add padding. They're both rubber soles. Mine does make noise when I walk down hallways, but I feel it adds a little pep to my step. Make my presence known lol.

LL bean boat shoes. The leather is inpentrenable and they look awesome