The nomial reactivity of methyl benzoate is affected by the
presence of certain substituents. Which of the following
substituents wi ll decrease methyl benzoate reactivity making
it safer for transport?
A) N02
B) Hydrogen
C) Br
D) CH3

From reading EK, I understood that the more electron donating the group the less reactive the molecule will be. However for this question the answer says A, which is NO2, a very electron with drawing group. Can anyone kindly explain this, Thank you!

Aug 27, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
NO2 is a STRONG meta director, and a nitro group highly deactivate the benzene ring. to reason through this draw the resonance of the benzene ring and you will see that there is a plus charge of the benzene ring next to another plus charge of the nitro group causing unfavorable reaction at the ortho and para . So NO2 will cause it be meta to methyl benzoate (another electron withdrawing group).

BerkReviewTeach

Company Rep & Bad Singer
Vendor
10+ Year Member
May 25, 2007
Hopefully you are aware that benzene reactivity was removed from the MCAT back in 2004. It has not appeared since that time. The mentality of studying it for the sake of learning to think or just in case it's on the exam became a HUGE moot point when the writers added a new section full of memorization. You are wasting time studying outdated material that could be spent on high yield topics.

Reactions: moneyking
Aug 27, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Yes I agree. .. @moneyking org Chem only counts for 5 percent of the new exam . Just focus on the ochem lab techniques

OP
M
May 20, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Hopefully you are aware that benzene reactivity was removed from the MCAT back in 2004. It has not appeared since that time. The mentality of studying it for the sake of learning to think or just in case it's on the exam became a HUGE moot point when the writers added a new section full of memorization. You are wasting time studying outdated material that could be spent on high yield topics.
Thank you for the guidance. I would like to know where I can find a list of high yield topics, that'd be greatly appreciated!

BerkReviewTeach

Company Rep & Bad Singer
Vendor
10+ Year Member
May 25, 2007
org Chem only counts for 5 percent of the new exam . Just focus on the ochem lab techniques
According to the OG, it is 5% of the Bio/BC section, but it's 15% of the Ch/Ph. So it's actually more tested than you think. That basically amounts to about 13 questions. However, there are many topics listed as OC, BC (such as carbohydrates). So knowing OC well can do wonders on BC questions. It's not a subject to blow off.

Reactions: Cawolf