organic chem in summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

floatingrib

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm going to be taking organic chem I & II in the summer and since these are courses that are seen as tough will it be looked down on that I took them in summer?

It's at the same university I'm attending and right now I'm taking 21 credits with 2 labs so there's no way my dean will allow me to take 5 more credits (and the rest of my semesters are looking around 19-22 credits as well so no room). I personally would love to take it during the normal semesters b/c paying out of pocket for 10 credits is lots of work lol, but would it hurt my chances or would it be seen as a negative? The only other summer classes I've taken in summer are Calc I and for the same reason.

(both would be taken in the same summer + the same professor that teaches orgo during normal semesters teaches it in summer if that makes a difference)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
From my understanding, admissions counselors don't look down on classes taken over the summer, so long as they were taken at the same university

Med schools don't know which professor you took your class with. No where on the application do you list this information.

Members don't see this ad :)
@floatingrib is the class shorter over summer? Im taking biochem over summer at my university and it is the same length as a regular class during the year.

No one will care. The end. As long as it's a 4 year school it's fine. No ifs, ands, or buts. Admissions are looking at far more important aspects of your application not where you chose to take a class.