Organic Chem Tests

peyton

Current Optometry student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey

Does anyone know if we have to learn how to predict results of tests for chemical reactions- like iodoform or Tollens test? Do we have to know any lab information or just theory? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey

Does anyone know if we have to learn how to predict results of tests for chemical reactions- like iodoform or Tollens test? Do we have to know any lab information or just theory? Thanks

I just took the OAT yesterday and I doubt you will be tested on that. However, I did have a question on separation and purification. With the iodoform I'd just be familiar with it. But I would definitely spend more time on core concepts because I had no idea for the answer in the separation question but knew the core stuff like mechanisms, properties etc. and I got a 400.

Last edited:
and good job! haha

one more- do you think we should know common names of organic molecules or only IUPAC?

Hey nice score on your Org!

Question here for you, how was like the rough breakdown of the org section? Like was it say ~10 questions on pure reactions ~10 theory etc etc?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
and good job! haha

one more- do you think we should know common names of organic molecules or only IUPAC?

I would definitely know the common names because the question could all be in words and ask you what the end product could be. For example, what is the end product when aniline (aminobenzene) is treated with Br2/FeBr3? and of course you must know IUPAC
Good Luck!

Hey nice score on your Org!

Question here for you, how was like the rough breakdown of the org section? Like was it say ~10 questions on pure reactions ~10 theory etc etc?

Thanks
I went through it pretty quickly (had like 20-25 minutes) but I recall alot of reactions. Mainly end products and reagents needed to complete a rxn, few questions on stability (Ex:carbocation) and couple on solubility, also a few on aromatic compound reactions.