Organic chemistry 1 and 2 during summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ihoop24

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on taking organic chemistry 1 and 2 this upcoming summer. This is because:
- the professor is the best in the chem department, have heard nothing but amazing things from other people who have taken it with him, everyone highly recommended it
- o chem is not required for my major, so I have to figure out another time to avoid cramming during semesters

However, after reading on this forum, it seems like many people say that taking summer classes is looked down upon by admissions. Is this something that can significantly lower my chances?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Adcoms will view it as you "taking a shortcut." How much it negatively affects your application varies between schools.

Reactions: 1 user
I am planning on taking organic chemistry 1 and 2 this upcoming summer. This is because:
- the professor is the best in the chem department, have heard nothing but amazing things from other people who have taken it with him, everyone highly recommended it
- o chem is not required for my major, so I have to figure out another time to avoid cramming during semesters

However, after reading on this forum, it seems like many people say that taking summer classes is looked down upon by admissions. Is this something that can significantly lower my chances?

Thanks in advance!

I taught orgo labs way back when I was in chemistry graduate school.

I remember people having like 2 A's maximum out of a class of 30 in the summer.

In the fall, it was like 6-8 A's out of 30.

I think summer is just a harder. In fact, miserable would be a fair word to use. If you are willing to do absolutely nothing but organic chemistry during the summer semester, you might have a chance.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
On the flip side (and at least, where I'm located), the advice was always to take them during the summer with the reasoning that the concentrated material stays in your brain better (right, wrong or indifferent). It doesn't hurt that the class is over quick.

I seriously doubt admissions committees have an issue with anyone taking it in the summer, but then I'm not an AdCom guy either, so take that for what it's worth.

Thanks in advance!

I don't know why that would be looked down upon. In my experience, summer classes are much harder and would advise against it on that basis alone. What adcoms think is a different story. If you need the classes and that's the only way to do it, then go for it. It's probably not a big deal if that's your concern.

I very much would not recommend taking orgo over the summer. It's already fast paced and hard to keep up with over 16 weeks, trying to get orgo 1+2 done in 2 months over the summer seems like a huge challenge. Doable, depending on whether you have to work or have other responsibilities outside of focusing literally all your time and energy on this class, but I definitely wouldn't do it. (This is coming from someone who DID take anatomy and physiology 1+2 in 8 weeks during the summer, and that was rough).

I very much would not recommend taking orgo over the summer. It's already fast paced and hard to keep up with over 16 weeks, trying to get orgo 1+2 done in 2 months over the summer seems like a huge challenge. Doable, depending on whether you have to work or have other responsibilities outside of focusing literally all your time and energy on this class, but I definitely wouldn't do it. (This is coming from someone who DID take anatomy and physiology 1+2 in 8 weeks during the summer, and that was rough).
I hear you. At my school, everyone recommends the summer because the professor is amazing and the ones during the semester are average at best. If the professor wasn't good, I would for sure wait until semester.

Adcoms will view it as you "taking a shortcut." How much it negatively affects your application varies between schools.

What? Where do you source this information? I don't think it would have any negative bearing on their academic record.

What? Where do you source this information? I don't think it would have any negative bearing on their academic record.

See the following:

Rule 1: Take a Breath
1) You are trying to bite off more than you can chew
2) Taking classes in summer and at CC make you less competitive for medical school
3) Many medical schools do not, repeat, do not accept course credit via AP. Consider retake of Chem 1
4) maintaining high GPA is key
5) there is no reason to rush. You are better off spending the time, effort and money in an additional year then rushing
That is incorrect. Because they are condensed, they are viewed as needing to go quickly and therefore lightly over material. Summer classes are generally perceived by medical admissions as less rigorous than fall/spring classes no matter where they are taken. It is advisable to avoid them if possible

Frequently Asked Questions | College of Medicine | SUNY Upstate Medical University
Applicants should avoid taking more than one or two prerequisite science courses during the summer and avoid taking them at community colleges.
Taking summer preq classes no matter the course load should be avoided

taking a full course load in the summer is not only extremely difficult with the short time, and risks impact to GPA, doing so may be perceived as trying avoid tougher regular term

If the Summer professor is better, take it then. I took general chemistry I & II over the Summer and made As. You'll just be very busy. Organic chemistry is like most other subjects, if you dedicate the time to study the material you'll be fine.

See the following:

I disagree... If OP complete the coursework and received an A they showed competency in the material being taught. I don't understand why you think someone can be penalized for taking a class during an available time frame offered by their university. This is hardly a make or break it deal for an applicant anyways...

Because of the short time frame in the summer (usually 4-5 weeks) instead of the typical term (13-15 weeks), it perceived that the material will not fully covered with the same rigor and depth and therefore is considered "light." This is the same reason why many schools either require, recommend, or prefer that prereqs are taken at a 4 year school and not a CC. Whether or not you argue that it is the same material and that you mastered it is immaterial. This isnt a judgement on whether the wide-spread perception is fair, it is the reality
Thanks for the info. How detrimental is this to an application?

I can see why people think it’s not as rigorous as normal semester classes. However when you do the math it’s actually not as bad as people think.my school provides 6 wks long summer organic 1 and 2. We have classes 5 days a week and each class is 75 minutes long.

overall we have 5*6=30 classes and minus 3 exams which is 27 classes
for normal semester this is equivalen to 27/3=9 weeks ( normal semester has 3 classes a week, M/W/F)
now, let’s take 75 minutes class into consideration, 75/50=1.5 times class length

9*1.5=13.5 weeks

therefor for my school, our summer orgpanic chemistry class is equivalent to a normal semester 13.5 weeks long class. This doesnt look too bad.

besides students study so hard before and after each class. to me, it’s like an organic chemistry summer bootcamp.

but if you ask me which one is better, id definitely say normal semester is better for you to understand the material
. But this raises another question, if you can get A in the summer, but only A- or B + during normal semester. Which one would you choose?

Thanks in advance!
I took orgo 1 summer A and orgo 2 + lab summer B, and it was a hell of a summer. I'll leave it at that

Because of the short time frame in the summer (usually 4-5 weeks) instead of the typical term (13-15 weeks), it perceived that the material will not fully covered with the same rigor and depth and therefore is considered "light." This is the same reason why many schools either require, recommend, or prefer that prereqs are taken at a 4 year school and not a CC. Whether or not you argue that it is the same material and that you mastered it is immaterial. This isnt a judgement on whether the wide-spread perception is fair, it is the reality
Interesting information. My school actually offers a summer term that is 12 weeks long, very comparable to the length of a normal term. Most students end up taking summer courses during the 12-week summer semester., including myself. Does that change anything? Would it not be looked down upon anymore?

i did it. worked out for me. do what is best for you

I took several pre reqs over the summer because it was cheaper for me. No one has brought it up or seemed to care at any interviews I’ve had.

How about taking 1 in the summer and 2 in the semester. Is that less of an issue? @gonnif

I don't know why people say admissions will look down upon it. If anything, you should be rewarded for completing 2 semesters of ochem in 10 weeks! Lol! But on a serious note, I tried to take Ochem 1 this summer ( my uni does a 5 week course) and I thought it was intense and too fast paced for me. I dropped it at 4 days so it wouldn't show up in my transcript as a W. Imagine trying to learn the first 4 chapters of Ochem + do HW and practice problems in 4 days? I was stressing out so much.

Now I took it in the Fall with a new professor and it was wayyyyy easier. We move at such a slower pace (ex. it takes about 2.5-3 lectures to finish 1 chapter which is more than 1 week). This gives me more time to understand the ins and outs of everything in ochem which I appreciate. I have an A in the class right now and I honestly don't think it's too hard anymore. Having a test every week vs. having a test once a month is how I see it. If you can make an A in ochem in a 5 week course, my hat goes off to you.

Thanks in advance!

Take it if he is better than the professors during the year. If you get A grades do you think adcoms will care much as long as the rest of your grades are also superb? I doubt it. Most don't even organic II anymore so only one prerequisite during the summer shouldn't be a big deal. If you take them all in the summer that might be a different story.