Organic Chemistry on New MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StrawHatDMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all

How emphasized is organic chemistry on the new MCAT? How many questions did you see? Is it worth devoting a ton of time to?

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak for the actual MCAT but in my opinion there isn't a whole lot of specific organic chemistry questions on the practice tests I'm taking, but there are a good amount of questions where you would need to know some organic chemistry to arrive at the answer. However, the MCAT can test you on any topic that they list that you need to know, whether it's "common" or not. I've read stories of some people saying they had 2 or 3 actual physics questions and other stories where people say they had 3 physics passages. Better to be safe than sorry in my opinion.

I had 2 absolute without a doubt o chem questions on my MCAT. Otherwise, knowing what makes electrons move will be your highest yield. I would devote most time to biochenmistry because it really does encompass so many of the other topics.

Hi all

How emphasized is organic chemistry on the new MCAT? How many questions did you see? Is it worth devoting a ton of time to?

There wasn't a ton on mine. I would definitely know oxidizing/reducing agents, basics of sn1/sn2, and the most basic h-nmr stuff at a bare minimum. The other poster is right though it's better to be safe than sorry and you should cover this content area if you have the time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

Before you can properly answer my question, I may need to provide you with some background information about myself. I am entering a university this fall after having completed two years of running start at my local community college. For those who don't know, the running start program allows high school students to spend their last two years at a community college in order to obtain college credit and high school credit simultaneously. After two years, I successfully completed my AA and therefore possess the same amount of credits as an entering college junior--despite being only 18. During running start, I completed all of my pre-reqs for medical school except for gen Chem and O-Chem. Though most people take their chemistry courses earlier in their education, I am going to have to start as a junior. My plan is to earn my bachelors degree in two years and immediately enter medical school if possible. Since I am taking general chemistry this coming year, I will be prepared for any chemistry questions on the MCAT. However, if I am to take the MCAT during summer 2018, I would have no formal O-Chem under my belt. My plan was to supplement the year of o-Chem with Khan academy videos, an O-Chem textbook, and through an MCAT prep service. Will this suffice or should I wait to take the MCAT the following summer of 2019 after I have taken some o-Chem and biochem courses?

Hi everyone,

Before you can properly answer my question, I may need to provide you with some background information about myself. I am entering a university this fall after having completed two years of running start at my local community college. For those who don't know, the running start program allows high school students to spend their last two years at a community college in order to obtain college credit and high school credit simultaneously. After two years, I successfully completed my AA and therefore possess the same amount of credits as an entering college junior--despite being only 18. During running start, I completed all of my pre-reqs for medical school except for gen Chem and O-Chem. Though most people take their chemistry courses earlier in their education, I am going to have to start as a junior. My plan is to earn my bachelors degree in two years and immediately enter medical school if possible. Since I am taking general chemistry this coming year, I will be prepared for any chemistry questions on the MCAT. However, if I am to take the MCAT during summer 2018, I would have no formal O-Chem under my belt. My plan was to supplement the year of o-Chem with Khan academy videos, an O-Chem textbook, and through an MCAT prep service. Will this suffice or should I wait to take the MCAT the following summer of 2019 after I have taken some o-Chem and biochem courses?

No it will not suffice. You might think it does, and some can do it, but its far from ideal.

Don't rush. You're young, and you have plenty of time. There is zero rush. Get your prereqs done first, and get great grades on them. Not just bio/biochem/gen chem/org chem, but also psych, sociology, genetics, cell bio, etc. Also, a minority of medical schools do not accept CC credits for prereqs.

Also, remember your grades and MCAT are only a part of your application. 3.6/510 gets your foot in the door, but your ECs are what get you admitted. Volunteer hours, community service, evidence of leadership and maturity, and thorough exposure and commitment to the medical field. Also research if you want to get into a research heavy medical school.

Finish your prereqs and get your LORs, and your ECs fleshed out properly. Then take your MCAT with proper prep.

Reactions: 1 user
No it will not suffice. You might think it does, and some can do it, but its far from ideal.

Don't rush. You're young, and you have plenty of time. There is zero rush. Get your prereqs done first, and get great grades on them. Not just bio/biochem/gen chem/org chem, but also psych, sociology, genetics, cell bio, etc. Also, a minority of medical schools do not accept CC credits for prereqs.

Also, remember your grades and MCAT are only a part of your application. 3.6/510 gets your foot in the door, but your ECs are what get you admitted. Volunteer hours, community service, evidence of leadership and maturity, and thorough exposure and commitment to the medical field. Also research if you want to get into a research heavy medical school.

Finish your prereqs and get your LORs, and your ECs fleshed out properly. Then take your MCAT with proper prep.

Thank you for your advice. A few people from my new school have said similar things and it is becoming increasingly clear to me that rushing through this process is not the way to go about entering medical school. I didn't even think about my lack of experience in the social sciences so I will definitely expand my knowledge in that area as well.

Thank you for your advice. A few people from my new school have said similar things and it is becoming increasingly clear to me that rushing through this process is not the way to go about entering medical school. I didn't even think about my lack of experience in the social sciences so I will definitely expand my knowledge in that area as well.

No problem. There's an entire section on sociology and psychology that was introduced for MCAT2015 so you definitely need to keep that in consideration. You sound motivated which is great, but some things just need to be done properly. Meet with the pre-health committee at your four year college and make sure you get everything done right.