Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

organic chemistry

Discussion in 'Pre-Optometry' started by luckyxsmurf, Jun 17, 2008.

1. luckyxsmurf

Pre-Optometry
    According to the prereqs for the entering class of 2007, 4 schools require 1 year of ochem (indiana, michigan, oregon, and berkeley).
    I finished the 1st semester of ochem with a C+ this spring and I was wondering if I should complete the series. I asked my adviser if it would look better if i completed the series, and he said, "only if you do well". I've heard that the 2nd part of ochem is a lot harder than the 1st part and very few students do better on the 2nd session than the 1st. I don't want to risk lowering my gpa.
    What do you guys think? What would/did you do?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. JMU07

5+ Year Member

Optometrist
    I got a C+ first semester too. Second semester I got a B-, so, there you go. I hated ochem.. I never studied so much for a single class and still, got a C+. For me, the second half was a little easier, I don't really know why. And since our final was cumulative over the whole year, I had to go back and basically re-learn first semester. Only then did it all click and make sense. If I could do it again I'd probably re-take the first semester before moving on.

4. danielallen2008

2+ Year Member

how bad does it look if I got a D, and a D+ in organic chem both semesters and then retook them both and then got a B and a A (lab) first semester and a B+ and a A (lab) n the second semester, Im really freaking out because they significantly affect my overall GPA

5. aDubs

2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    I would recommend that you take the second part of Orgo if you are looking to go to one of those 4 schools. If not, there's no harm in taking the second part, which I also found alot easier than the first orgo course.

Better to take it than not to and regret it!

6. seminolefish

2+ Year Member

Rehab Sci Student
    I agree with the above poster. Organic 2 was much easier because there were not as many concepts introduced. Organic 2 is memorization of certain reactions really. I thought it was way easier. I supposedly had an evil teacher that people thought was Satan reincarnate but I thought he was good and I did well...got an A-. He was evil in that I had a 90.1 but he gave me an A-. But I like organic so my opinion is slightly biased. Chemistry is interesting you just have to apply yourself. So take it.

7. FL Opt Girl

FL Opt Girl NSUCO c/o 2012!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    What I don't understand is why many opto schools require biochemistry but not organic 2, when organic 2 is a pre-req for biochemistry. :confused:

8. JMU07

5+ Year Member

Optometrist
    I KNOW. That doesn't make sense to me either!

9. aDubs

2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    that is what you call killing 2 birds with 1 stone lol.

10. Habitual Rx

2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    Not the case at most Canadian schools :D

11. luckyxsmurf

Pre-Optometry
    thanks for all of the input guys!!
    i guess i'll take the plunge into another semester of ochem!

12. sportsdude00

2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
  13. FL Opt Girl

FL Opt Girl NSUCO c/o 2012!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    Hehe, yeah, I guess so! :)
    I think orgo 2 is probably easier than orgo 1 as well. It is a lot more memorization of mechanisms and a lot less processes that you have to be able to apply to a range of problems. I took the second semester a year after taking the first, and still was able to do pretty well in the class (although I did work really hard at it:cool:).

14. BroD

Pre-Dental
    Some schools like mine don't require you to have 2 semesters of OChem, just one.

15. Giina

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    I don't think orgo 2 is necessarily easier than orgo 1; I think by that time you're so used to the difficult crap from orgo 1 that your study habits have improved to compensate for the difficulty. I got an A in orgo 1 and a B+ in orgo 2. I think orgo 1 seems harder because it's like a huge smack in the face compared to your other classes, but once you get used to it and stick to a good study schedule it's not bad at all.