organic chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

luckyxsmurf

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
According to the prereqs for the entering class of 2007, 4 schools require 1 year of ochem (indiana, michigan, oregon, and berkeley).
I finished the 1st semester of ochem with a C+ this spring and I was wondering if I should complete the series. I asked my adviser if it would look better if i completed the series, and he said, "only if you do well". I've heard that the 2nd part of ochem is a lot harder than the 1st part and very few students do better on the 2nd session than the 1st. I don't want to risk lowering my gpa.
What do you guys think? What would/did you do?
 
I got a C+ first semester too. Second semester I got a B-, so, there you go. I hated ochem.. I never studied so much for a single class and still, got a C+. For me, the second half was a little easier, I don't really know why. And since our final was cumulative over the whole year, I had to go back and basically re-learn first semester. Only then did it all click and make sense. If I could do it again I'd probably re-take the first semester before moving on.
 
how bad does it look if I got a D, and a D+ in organic chem both semesters and then retook them both and then got a B and a A (lab) first semester and a B+ and a A (lab) n the second semester, Im really freaking out because they significantly affect my overall GPA
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would recommend that you take the second part of Orgo if you are looking to go to one of those 4 schools. If not, there's no harm in taking the second part, which I also found alot easier than the first orgo course.

Better to take it than not to and regret it!
 
I agree with the above poster. Organic 2 was much easier because there were not as many concepts introduced. Organic 2 is memorization of certain reactions really. I thought it was way easier. I supposedly had an evil teacher that people thought was Satan reincarnate but I thought he was good and I did well...got an A-. He was evil in that I had a 90.1 but he gave me an A-. But I like organic so my opinion is slightly biased. Chemistry is interesting you just have to apply yourself. So take it.
 
What I don't understand is why many opto schools require biochemistry but not organic 2, when organic 2 is a pre-req for biochemistry. 😕
 
What I don't understand is why many opto schools require biochemistry but not organic 2, when organic 2 is a pre-req for biochemistry. 😕

I KNOW. That doesn't make sense to me either!
 
that is what you call killing 2 birds with 1 stone lol.

Hehe, yeah, I guess so! 🙂
I think orgo 2 is probably easier than orgo 1 as well. It is a lot more memorization of mechanisms and a lot less processes that you have to be able to apply to a range of problems. I took the second semester a year after taking the first, and still was able to do pretty well in the class (although I did work really hard at it😎).
 
What I don't understand is why many opto schools require biochemistry but not organic 2, when organic 2 is a pre-req for biochemistry. 😕

Some schools like mine don't require you to have 2 semesters of OChem, just one.
 
I don't think orgo 2 is necessarily easier than orgo 1; I think by that time you're so used to the difficult crap from orgo 1 that your study habits have improved to compensate for the difficulty. I got an A in orgo 1 and a B+ in orgo 2. I think orgo 1 seems harder because it's like a huge smack in the face compared to your other classes, but once you get used to it and stick to a good study schedule it's not bad at all.