Orgo and the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JulianCrane

The Power of Intention
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just how detailed does the Orgo on the MCAT get? I mean, I finished the Orgo sequence in April and I'm taking the MCAT next year. I most likely will forget some stuff during that time. But, just how much detail is tested?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by JulianCrane
Just how detailed does the Orgo on the MCAT get? I mean, I finished the Orgo sequence in April and I'm taking the MCAT next year. I most likely will forget some stuff during that time. But, just how much detail is tested?

not very. some nomenclature, sterochemistry, elimination and substitutions, some elementary reactions (grignard, diels alder, alkenes, etc), lab prep and sep, and a little bit of spectroscopy. I took orgo 4 years before taking the mcat and was suprised by how manageable it was and got a 13 on the bio. i'd say keep all your flashcards from o chem if you still have them, they might be useful.

dw

I'm reviewing right now, to take it in april. and i took orgo in '97 and '98 academic year, and i'm still scoring excellent (in AAMC books), in berkeley review books, not so excellent. Granted, i did supreme in orgo, but i think they test more on stuff that are not memorized in orgo, but rather bigger concepts...
i guess.

Sonya