Orgo Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Milkteeth

Extractionista
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok...
someone please help me out in knowing the general rules and/ or trends for identifying:
1. Acidity
2. Basicity
3. Boiling point
4. Melting point of a compound, please.

For example, The more substituted a compound is, the higher boiling point it will have, etc

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

from highest to lowest for acidity... carboxy acid attached to benzene then carboxy acids then phenols then alcohols then alkynes then akenes then alkanes:D:cool:

u can have groups that increase basicity which include nh2 ch3 c2h5
u can have groups that increase acidity cooh no2 cn so3h

Ok...
someone please help me out in knowing the general rules and/ or trends for identifying:
1. Acidity
2. Basicity
3. Boiling point
4. Melting point of a compound, please.

For example, The more substituted a compound is, the higher boiling point it will have, etc

Thanks!

groups that increase basicity: DEstabilize the lone e pair (usually 2 donating groups)
groups that increase acidity: electron withdrawing groups (groups that can STABILIZE the resulting neg. charge after losing a proton) eg: conjugated systems, highly electronegative atoms, etc

Boiling point: when external pressure = vapor pressure

higher MW = higher BP,
more branching = lower BP, MP (london dispersion forces weaker because molecules are "stacked" more loosely due to branching)
hydrogen bonding = higher BP, MP (remember, only NH, OH, and FH are capable of H bonding)
cis/trans: cis isomers will have a higher BP than trans isomers because cis isomers are more polar. Trans isomers will have a higher melting point because their conformation allows them to be "stacked" more tightly, their symmetry generally allows better packing in the solid state

ionic compounds will have a higher melting point than covalent compounds due to ionic interactions

Hope tihs was helpful, feel free to correct me if I got something wrong!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also: compounds with more "s" character tend to be more acidic than compounds with less "s" character

example:
ethane (sp3) < ethene(sp2) < ethyne(2p3)
increasing acidity-->

Thnak u so much guys this was very helpful! MissNo - very specific thanks a mil!
Sometimes I get so confused. One minute I know it n then a question or two totally throws me off.