-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Orgo? Or O-Chem?
Started by DVMorBust
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Although I dislike the name "orgo" because there's no second O and it doesn't make sense to me, I call it orgo. (college in New York)
We always called it "Organic" at my small undergrad school in VA.
I call it ochem because I think it sounds stupid the other way and I don't really pay attention to what other people call it. 
Schools in MA, OH, FL and CA, from Pennsylvania originally.

Schools in MA, OH, FL and CA, from Pennsylvania originally.
I call it O-chem. I agree, Orgo sounds dumb... where does Orgo even come from? I took a summer class at Tufts after I took Ochem and heard people talking about Orgo. I had to ask what it was!
BTW. I absolutely loved Ochem!!! 😍 First semester really, I started tiring at the end of second semester though.
BTW. I absolutely loved Ochem!!! 😍 First semester really, I started tiring at the end of second semester though.
I type orgo cause it's quicker, but I usually call it OChem or Organic.
I had to vote O-chem because that is what I always called it before. I had never even heard "Orgo" before I came to SDN. haha Now I say Orgo. It sounds cooler. O-Chem was my default though. 

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
orgo from NY
it seems this is quite popular in the northeast (MA,NY etc) to be called orgo, interesting
it seems this is quite popular in the northeast (MA,NY etc) to be called orgo, interesting
Although I dislike the name "orgo" because there's no second O and it doesn't make sense to me, I call it orgo.
That is me exactly as well - schools in MD and VA.
In Kansas I've only heard it called 'organic' or 'o-chem'.
Sometimes there are colorful adjectives preceding the term...
Sometimes there are colorful adjectives preceding the term...
2
237397
haha i feel like we should compile this by school.
UGA: o-chem
Georgia Tech: orgo (my brother goes there)
but usually i just try to avoid talking about it altogether.
UGA: o-chem
Georgia Tech: orgo (my brother goes there)
but usually i just try to avoid talking about it altogether.
1
168135
I've never heard it pronounced O-Chem or Orgo. We call it Organic here in Nova Scotia.
I know I've heard Orgo here at OK State, but Organic is most common I think.
it was orgo at my undergrad school in Atlanta (Emory). At UTK, I have heard both o-chem and orgo
I still have several names for that course. None of them are in the poll. "Hell" is the nicest one I remember.
I've heard orgo, organic and o-chem here in NC.
(That said, I live in an international dorm...)
(That said, I live in an international dorm...)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Orgo. Sometimes organic, but mostly orgo.
Yeah, as others have mentioned, it's ochem here in Southern California.
I am at NDSU in Fargo, ND and everyone that I talk to (including myself 🙂 ) calls it O-chem.
O-chem or Organic here in KY.
I loved this class so ridiculously much 😍. I could literally spend five or six hours working problems and not notice the time pass. Funny how some people really like it and others would rather die than take it again.
I loved this class so ridiculously much 😍. I could literally spend five or six hours working problems and not notice the time pass. Funny how some people really like it and others would rather die than take it again.
I've always called it Organic...sorry to everyone but "orgo" makes me want to gouge my eardrums out with screwdrivers.....oh, im sorry, that was very dramatic
I'm just partial to call it was it is just since this is the third year sitting through it...I tutor other students so I sit through class every day, Aced it the first time, sitting through it for the third time...woo
by the way, totally love organic chemistry, one of my favorite chem courses next to biochemistry....yes i am a nerd
I'm just partial to call it was it is just since this is the third year sitting through it...I tutor other students so I sit through class every day, Aced it the first time, sitting through it for the third time...woo
by the way, totally love organic chemistry, one of my favorite chem courses next to biochemistry....yes i am a nerd

I call it organic, but I've also heard plenty of o-chems and the occasional orgo here in Iowa.
Organic.
Alberta, Canada.
Alberta, Canada.
Organic and O-Chem here.
Lol this thread is great! Something I would never think to ask but it's interesting how it's divided up by region...
Depends who I'm talking to but usually orgo sometimes organic chem. That O-chem/p-chem comparison makes so much sense!!
NYC btw =) for part 1, Philly, PA for part 2. I think I only called it Organic here... I believe I got strange looks for orgo 😀
And I'm on the haters list... though I'm glad to have that knowledge in my memory bank and I loved biochem
Depends who I'm talking to but usually orgo sometimes organic chem. That O-chem/p-chem comparison makes so much sense!!
NYC btw =) for part 1, Philly, PA for part 2. I think I only called it Organic here... I believe I got strange looks for orgo 😀
And I'm on the haters list... though I'm glad to have that knowledge in my memory bank and I loved biochem
That O-chem/p-chem comparison makes so much sense!!
Agreed! For all of you orgo users, do you use p-chem for physical chemistry? Or something else entirely?
Organic of O-Chem. The College of Wooster, Ohio.
Orgo just sounds weird.
Orgo just sounds weird.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I call it ochem (CA).
Now I'm at a school in MD, and they call it orgo here.
Now I'm at a school in MD, and they call it orgo here.
.
Last edited:
