Orgo? Or O-Chem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What do you call Organic Chemistry?

• Orgo

Votes: 40 44.9%
  • O-chem

Votes: 35 39.3%
  • Organic or Organic Chemistry. We're not on intimate terms.

Votes: 14 15.7%

• Total voters

DVMorBust

UW SVM Class of 2013
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, the linguistics background is compelling me to post this one. What do you call it (or what's the nickname at your university)? And where is your university located?

Nickname: O-chem

Members don't see this ad.

I attended colleges in MA & NH, and I've always heard it referred to as Orgo.

Although I've heard it called many other things that I really can't post here....:rolleyes:

Down here in Fl, Orgo is what I've always heard.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in southern California where we called it O-Chem.

I was in MA and we called it orgo.. out here in colorado when I say orgo I get weird looks... seems to go by O-chem out here :)

Although I dislike the name "orgo" because there's no second O and it doesn't make sense to me, I call it orgo. (college in New York)

We always called it "Organic" at my small undergrad school in VA.

I call it ochem because I think it sounds stupid the other way and I don't really pay attention to what other people call it. :laugh:

Schools in MA, OH, FL and CA, from Pennsylvania originally.

I call it O-chem. I agree, Orgo sounds dumb... where does Orgo even come from? I took a summer class at Tufts after I took Ochem and heard people talking about Orgo. I had to ask what it was!

BTW. I absolutely loved Ochem!!! :love: First semester really, I started tiring at the end of second semester though.

I type orgo cause it's quicker, but I usually call it OChem or Organic.

I had to vote O-chem because that is what I always called it before. I had never even heard "Orgo" before I came to SDN. haha Now I say Orgo. It sounds cooler. O-Chem was my default though. :laugh:

I say O-chem, as do most people I know down here. Down here = born, raised, and schooled in Texas! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
MA for undergrad--Orgo
CA for post-bacc--O. Chem (people in CA don't know what you're talking about if you say Orgo, which I found out the hard way)

Reactions: 1 user
I've always known it as OChem at my University located in SW Ohio.

orgo from NY

it seems this is quite popular in the northeast (MA,NY etc) to be called orgo, interesting

Although I dislike the name "orgo" because there's no second O and it doesn't make sense to me, I call it orgo.

That is me exactly as well - schools in MD and VA.

That dang chem class - no just kidding
Organic in FLorida

In Kansas I've only heard it called 'organic' or 'o-chem'.

Sometimes there are colorful adjectives preceding the term...

haha i feel like we should compile this by school.

UGA: o-chem
Georgia Tech: orgo (my brother goes there)

but usually i just try to avoid talking about it altogether.

It's Orgo at schools in NY and Vermont

I've never heard it pronounced O-Chem or Orgo. We call it Organic here in Nova Scotia.

I still have several names for that course. None of them are in the poll. "Hell" is the nicest one I remember.

grew up in the philadelphia area, where it's referred to as orgo, but at my liberal arts school in portland (oregon), it's definitely o-chem. o-chem makes more sense to me because people also refer to physical chemistry as p-chem.

Academically-Organic
Socially-Ochem
Personally-Damm blasted, Piece of *Bleeeep* course!:bang:

The latter being my fav :D

I think the most interesting part of this discussion is actually seeing all the different places where people have attended schools! Many of us have more than one.

For me:
Vermont: orgo
Albany NY: ochem
Pittsburgh PA: ochem

I am at NDSU in Fargo, ND and everyone that I talk to (including myself :) ) calls it O-chem.

O-chem or Organic here in KY.
I loved this class so ridiculously much :love:. I could literally spend five or six hours working problems and not notice the time pass. Funny how some people really like it and others would rather die than take it again.

I've always called it Organic...sorry to everyone but "orgo" makes me want to gouge my eardrums out with screwdrivers.....oh, im sorry, that was very dramatic

I'm just partial to call it was it is just since this is the third year sitting through it...I tutor other students so I sit through class every day, Aced it the first time, sitting through it for the third time...woo

by the way, totally love organic chemistry, one of my favorite chem courses next to biochemistry....yes i am a nerd:laugh:

I call it organic, but I've also heard plenty of o-chems and the occasional orgo here in Iowa.

O-chem in BC, Canada...though some people here call it Organic Chem or Organic. Never heard anyone say Orgo before.

Organic and O-Chem here.

Lol this thread is great! Something I would never think to ask but it's interesting how it's divided up by region...

Depends who I'm talking to but usually orgo sometimes organic chem. That O-chem/p-chem comparison makes so much sense!!

NYC btw =) for part 1, Philly, PA for part 2. I think I only called it Organic here... I believe I got strange looks for orgo :D

And I'm on the haters list... though I'm glad to have that knowledge in my memory bank and I loved biochem

Organic. ugrad - Western PA.

Organic of O-Chem. The College of Wooster, Ohio.

Orgo just sounds weird.

Orgo - Massachusetts/Rhode Island

Moved to virginia, and no one had even heard orgo used before...!

I call it ochem (CA).

Now I'm at a school in MD, and they call it orgo here.

Out of curiosity, anyone use the book "Electron Flow in Organic Chemistry" by one Paul Scudder? He was my professor in ochem at New College.