Orgo Topic List

Started by Jay2910
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Jay2910

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,

Question about the Orgo list that AAMC puts out for the MCAT.

I realize that they want us to know Claisen Condensation and Pinacol rearrangement. I haven't seen examples of either of these so far in the practice tests. I don't think TPR talks about them either.

Should I prioritize these last then?
 
Lol this is my first time hearing/reading of them since I took orgo 1.5 years ago but I just looked at the reactions and they seem fairly intuitive.

I don't know about how high yield they are on the test though.
 
I'm not sure if they'll ask really in depth questions on Claisen condensation or pinacol rearrangement (like requiring you to have memorized the mechanism exactly) and if they do show up, I feel a lot of the information will be in the passage. I guess maybe if you have a general understanding of enolate chemistry and acid catalyzed mechanisms with carbonyls that should be sufficient in understanding those two. But then again, who knows what MCAT test will throw at you.
 
I'm not sure if they'll ask really in depth questions on Claisen condensation or pinacol rearrangement (like requiring you to have memorized the mechanism exactly) and if they do show up, I feel a lot of the information will be in the passage. I guess maybe if you have a general understanding of enolate chemistry and acid catalyzed mechanisms with carbonyls that should be sufficient in understanding those two. But then again, who knows what MCAT test will throw at you.

Claisen, not so much. Aldol, Grignard, Saponification, YES!
 
Claisen, not so much. Aldol, Grignard, Saponification, YES!

This. I recommend practicing mechanisms of carbonyl chemistry to get an idea of the things that tend to happen when dealing with carbonyls. The test does not directly test mechanisms, but being able to visualize these things in your head makes it all so much easier. Like pinacol rearrangement, I never studied it, but when I had that Q on a practice test I chose the right answer because I was able to think up a rational mechanism for it.
So, in short, if you have the time, consider practicing mechanisms of the reactions, or at least carbonyl ones.