This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's funny, that's actually what I'm hoping for in my potential/future surgical career. That's what I loved about playing basketball as well; you've practiced something endlessly, and when it comes to performance time you can enter an awesome flow state where even when unexpected things happen, you adjust and keep rolling. Plus, your team is on the same "wavelength" as you.

The term was coined by positive psychologist Mihály Csíkszentmihályi, and is described as:
"Flow is an optimal psychological state that people experience when engaged in an activity that is both appropriately challenging to one’s skill level, often resulting in immersion and concentrated focus on a task. This can result in deep learning and high levels of personal and work satisfaction."

You can't really compare surgery to playing basketball. Even routine cases can go south in a hurry. I know it was an example, but just wanted to say that. The easier cases at times are like that and go smoothly, you're still anxious and prepared tho.
 
Earlier in the thread you referred to sports med as voodoo, so I'm curious, what kinds of procedures are you referring to?

There's data now that suggests that degenerative meniscus tears do just as well with PT vs meniscectomy. But partial meniscectomybis like the most common case orthopods do.

There's also studies that show that you don't necessarily have to do a subacrimial decompression with rotator cuff repairs. But pretty much everyone (including me) does this.

And then there's PRP....
 
There's data now that suggests that degenerative meniscus tears do just as well with PT vs meniscectomy. But partial meniscectomybis like the most common case orthopods do.

There's also studies that show that you don't necessarily have to do a subacrimial decompression with rotator cuff repairs. But pretty much everyone (including me) does this.

And then there's PRP....

As I said...voodoo [emoji848][emoji23]


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You can't really compare surgery to playing basketball. Even routine cases can go south in a hurry. I know it was an example, but just wanted to say that. The easier cases at times are like that and go smoothly, you're still anxious and prepared tho.
Oh I certainly wasn't trying to compare apples to oranges- more just commenting on the flow state in general. The "immersion and concentrated focus on a task" is something that I personally tend to experience more with active tasks than sedentary ones.
 
Oh I certainly wasn't trying to compare apples to oranges- more just commenting on the flow state in general. The "immersion and concentrated focus on a task" is something that I personally tend to experience more with active tasks than sedentary ones.

Out of curiosity why the focus on this “flow state” thing?


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Out of curiosity why the focus on this “flow state” thing?


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Well, I don't have an exclusive focus on it. It's just nice to find things in life where you can "get in the zone" and enjoy doing them.

((I was also a psych major back in my youth and weirdly some of the vocab stuck around in my head :laugh: ))
 
Also, more on target-- in ortho trauma when nerves are involved, do you tend to handle the issues on your own or bring a neurosurgeon into the OR with you? To what degree in trauma do you end up handling concurrent nerve issues?
 
In my experience, see a lot of nerve contusions/entrapment/compression than outright severed nerves. With entrapment/compression, you just release the nerve and wait for it to become functional again. Most of the times, that's all you need. If that doesn't work, usually need tendon transfers, which some trauma surgeons do, or you can refer to specific hand/F&A surgeons.

With complete severance of a nerve, usually the injury is so severe that you have severe vascular compromise as well. Most of these patients end up with an amputation. In a rare situation when the nerve is repaired, usually a micro surgeon is involved. Can be hand/plastics.
 
Also, more on target-- in ortho trauma when nerves are involved, do you tend to handle the issues on your own or bring a neurosurgeon into the OR with you? To what degree in trauma do you end up handling concurrent nerve issues?

I haven’t had to involve anyone because most nerve injuries in trauma are neurapraxias. If there are hand nerve issues, my hand partners can handle.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Why the flow state? Well it has to do with those who enter it have a higher satisfaction in life and they do their best work in this state. I like to describe it as the "go away time feeling" where the time just flies by because whatever task that elicited the flow state put you in a different state of consciousness.

The flow state can be part of meditation and those who meditate are able to achieve it more so than those who do not. Plus, meditation is seriously the number one self development tool anyone can develop. I highly recommend it.
 
Why the flow state? Well it has to do with those who enter it have a higher satisfaction in life and they do their best work in this state. I like to describe it as the "go away time feeling" where the time just flies by because whatever task that elicited the flow state put you in a different state of consciousness.

The flow state can be part of meditation and those who meditate are able to achieve it more so than those who do not. Plus, meditation is seriously the number one self development tool anyone can develop. I highly recommend it.

I don’t have the patience for meditation. In terms of the “go away time feeling,” it happens when you’re busy as well...in residency the days flew by like crazy.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Hello!

I've stumbled across this thread and thank you so much for taking the time to answer/clarify our questions! A lot of my initial questions were answered from skimming previous posts.

I'm currently a MS3 and also probably one of the few girls in my class to be interested in ortho.

1) As an attending, how can you tell if a student will become an excellent surgeon? What makes you say, 'wow that person is going to be an amazing doctor someday?'

2) I just did an ortho elective at a program and I've had several residents tell me that matching into their program will be 'extremely difficult' because I'm a girl... they said that it's because they've never had a female resident and I should focus elsewhere for better luck. I'm just sick of the obvious 'because you're a girl and no offense' comments. Does it get any better? During a hip case, I did get a little sassy after they asked how much I can bench press, if I could at all. I told them, "this leg plus the bar."

3) Other than reading ahead, working hard/keeping your head down, and getting along with everyone, is there any other advice? I'm going to another ortho elective at a different program next month and I'm hoping to shine. What do you expect from a third year medical student rotating with you in terms of knowledge and skills? I can adequately read X-rays, know the common fracture classifications, and I've been brushing up on basic anatomy like a crazy person.

Again, thank you so much! This has been so helpful!!!
 
Hello!

I've stumbled across this thread and thank you so much for taking the time to answer/clarify our questions! A lot of my initial questions were answered from skimming previous posts.

I'm currently a MS3 and also probably one of the few girls in my class to be interested in ortho.

1) As an attending, how can you tell if a student will become an excellent surgeon? What makes you say, 'wow that person is going to be an amazing doctor someday?'

2) I just did an ortho elective at a program and I've had several residents tell me that matching into their program will be 'extremely difficult' because I'm a girl... they said that it's because they've never had a female resident and I should focus elsewhere for better luck. I'm just sick of the obvious 'because you're a girl and no offense' comments. Does it get any better? During a hip case, I did get a little sassy after they asked how much I can bench press, if I could at all. I told them, "this leg plus the bar."

3) Other than reading ahead, working hard/keeping your head down, and getting along with everyone, is there any other advice? I'm going to another ortho elective at a different program next month and I'm hoping to shine. What do you expect from a third year medical student rotating with you in terms of knowledge and skills? I can adequately read X-rays, know the common fracture classifications, and I've been brushing up on basic anatomy like a crazy person.

Again, thank you so much! This has been so helpful!!!

Suck it up and hit the gym
 
1. There is no good way to tell. Great students sometimes make crappy residents. If a student is consistently interested in the topic, doesn’t complain, and doesn’t throw people under the bus, they have a good chance of being a good doctor.

2. They were just messing with you to see if you can take some crap with the bench press comment. Yes, there are some programs that are afraid of girls because they have never had one. A few stopped taking them because of a bad experience. Unfortunately a few bad eggs ruin it for the rest of us. I’ve had a few terrible experiences with females as well that makes me look at future ones very carefully for signs of insanity. You’d be shocked to hear the horror stories I know about, all of which have been confirmed. My advice is just to move on and find a program that fits you. Maybe you’ll be the first at that place, or maybe not. Don’t look at the gender thing at all—look at program fit otherwise and apply accordingly.

3. I don’t expect students to know anything. I expect them to be interested and engaged, and read about cases beforehand. Be VERY careful with saying you “know” how to adequately read xrays. Most residents I know can’t read xrays adequately. There is a nuance to it that goes far beyond “there’s a femur fracture.” Winquist type what? What’s the percentage of femoral neck fractures associated with femur fractures? Who wrote the article? What other studies do you need? How do you know it’s not atypical? Pathologic? Where is the isthmus? What is the bow angle? Etc. I would have a field day with you if you told me that you “know” something that takes years to learn properly. Remember, you are there to learn, not to “show” ortho skills. If you had ortho skills, you wouldn’t need residency. As long as you’re not cocky and have decent hands (that is, they’re not growing backwards), that’s all you need. We will teach you the rest.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The ortho women at my place are pretty chill. I enjoy having them in the OR. Except for the playlists though, they need to update their music library
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you so much!

I guess got a little excited when I said I 'know' how to read X rays and I apologize for that. It's probably because I'm coming off the high of presenting for the first time at a fracture conference- it was my first time reading an Xray in front of anyone (it was a room full of residents and attendings) and I was so surprised at how far I've come along since the start of my rotation. Before, I could barely tell you what view it was. I know there's SO much that I haven't even begun to even cover and I'm really truly excited to learn more.

And I'll definitely look up those questions!
 
Thank you so much!

I guess got a little excited when I said I 'know' how to read X rays and I apologize for that. It's probably because I'm coming off the high of presenting for the first time at a fracture conference- it was my first time reading an Xray in front of anyone (it was a room full of residents and attendings) and I was so surprised at how far I've come along since the start of my rotation. Before, I could barely tell you what view it was. I know there's SO much that I haven't even begun to even cover and I'm really truly excited to learn more.

And I'll definitely look up those questions!

Haha you don’t have to, i was just making a point that there’s always more to learn.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
I’ve seen lots of female applicants on the trail and it surely seems that more programs are female friendly than not. Don’t even let that hold you back one bit.

Honestly after rotations and interviewing it seems like with ortho work ethic, fit, and interest in the subject matter >>>>>>>> grades, gender, research or anything else
 
Hi! I have searched this topic in advance and did not see this question asked. I apologies if it has already.

I am an MS1 in Detroit with an interest in Ortho. This year we have a shorter than normal summer break that is going to be 9 weeks. I am planning on contacting institutions soon to try to organize and out of state summer externship in order to broader my horizons (i have done my undergrad, masters, and now med school at the same school). What i am confused about is what the average summer externship consists of. Since my summer is 9 weeks, i would probably only be able to do one for about 6 weeks or so. What should i be looking for in terms of outcomes, goals, and learning during those 6 weeks if any institution is willing to take me?
 
Hi! I have searched this topic in advance and did not see this question asked. I apologies if it has already.

I am an MS1 in Detroit with an interest in Ortho. This year we have a shorter than normal summer break that is going to be 9 weeks. I am planning on contacting institutions soon to try to organize and out of state summer externship in order to broader my horizons (i have done my undergrad, masters, and now med school at the same school). What i am confused about is what the average summer externship consists of. Since my summer is 9 weeks, i would probably only be able to do one for about 6 weeks or so. What should i be looking for in terms of outcomes, goals, and learning during those 6 weeks if any institution is willing to take me?

It really depends on the institution. Also depends on your goals. Ask the program involved what they expect of their externs. Some programs may have a research component, others clinical type of stuff. I would focus on research since you want to get that under your belt early. Also get to know the docs, so that you could get a letter of recommendation out of it at some point, especially if you do research with them.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Hi again!

Was wondering - what do you guys think when you see "manuscript in progress" on an application? Do you think any more positively of it compared to just having the project listed as "ongoing"?

Also, how do you view publications done through a public database such as the NSQIP compared to a retrospective review of in-hospital charts? If you view any difference that is.
 
Hi again!

Was wondering - what do you guys think when you see "manuscript in progress" on an application? Do you think any more positively of it compared to just having the project listed as "ongoing"?

Also, how do you view publications done through a public database such as the NSQIP compared to a retrospective review of in-hospital charts? If you view any difference that is.

If in progress, i will ask about it. Obviously we prefer publications, “in progress” can mean literally anything from “about to submit” to “still collecting data” so I just ask about the project itself and gauge how much you know about the topic etc. As for database vs retrospective, they are both level IV data, so to me there is no difference.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
If in progress, i will ask about it. Obviously we prefer publications, “in progress” can mean literally anything from “about to submit” to “still collecting data” so I just ask about the project itself and gauge how much you know about the topic etc. As for database vs retrospective, they are both level IV data, so to me there is no difference.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks!

I thought database/case series was more level IV and retrospective more level III...Is my understanding wrong? So a retrospective chart review would be a level III paper while a database study from the NSQIP would be level IV. Would you be able to clear up my understanding if I'm wrong.
 
Thanks!

I thought database/case series was more level IV and retrospective more level III...Is my understanding wrong? So a retrospective chart review would be a level III paper while a database study from the NSQIP would be level IV. Would you be able to clear up my understanding if I'm wrong.

Meta-analysis and RCTS: level 1
Prospective observational; low quality RCT: level 2
Case control: level 3
Retrospective; case series (no control group): level 4
Expert opinion: level 5
 
Are letters of recommendation from DO ortho surgeons viewed negatively or weighted any less than ones from MD ortho surgeons? I’m at an MD school.
 
Are letters of recommendation from DO ortho surgeons viewed negatively or weighted any less than ones from MD ortho surgeons? I’m at an MD school.

Depends on where you are. If the DO surgeon is well known, it will be fine. It’s really the content of the letter that’s more important than the title of the doc. But I would try to get MD letters if you’re applying to MD residencies.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
I am a PGY2 deciding between hand and total joints for fellowship. Which one would you pick between the two and why?

I can’t really answer that for you. If you asked me what I would choose, I would say neither because I dislike them both. If you like more variety and working with tiny bones, choose hand. If you want a rote and predictable life, with the occasional horrible complication, choose joints.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are nerve transfers and other elements of microsurgery part of the training in orthopedics, particularly within a hand fellowship? I ran into this video on orthobullets by a plastic surgeon, and was wondering if there were orthopods who did this.

 
Hello,

I am third year about to take a year off for research. My dilemma begins summer after first year. I applied for a summer research fellowship at the top program for orthopedics because, at first, I just wanted to spend my summer in NYC (I was planning on going into something else). Somehow I got in, and I fell in love with orthopedics. I developed a great relationship with my mentor and some residents there during the research period and came out with a podium presentation, a paper in a top ortho journal, and a book chapter. My mentor asked me if I wanted to come back to do a research year. At the time, I was so new to ortho that I said possibly but not sure. But the program made a big impact on me, and it became my dream program.

I came back from NYC and met the newly hired chair of the ortho department at my program. I started working with him and we've published some papers since then with more on the way. My program was not very academic before he came so he wanted to increase the amount of research coming out of the department. He has been looking to me to increase the paper output, and he has become a very important mentor of mine.

Now I am in the last semester of my third year, and I have to decide where I want to spend my research year. There's obviously a huge benefit staying at my home program and publishing papers with various attendings in the department, or I could pursue my dream and try to go to NYC. However, my hesitation about NYC is that my boards are a little below median for ortho and I likely will not be AOA, so I'm not sure if going to NYC will even help my chances of matching there. I'm afraid that if I go to NYC, I'll be burning some bridges at my home program and then end up not matching at the NYC program anyway. At the same time, it is my dream and part of me is just telling me to go for it.

I would really appreciate any advice on this... I apologize if it seems like I'm humble bragging, but I am genuinely worried.

Thanks in advance.
 
Are nerve transfers and other elements of microsurgery part of the training in orthopedics, particularly within a hand fellowship? I ran into this video on orthobullets by a plastic surgeon, and was wondering if there were orthopods who did this.



Some in residency, but it really depends on what your attendings are comfortable with. Usually you learn that stuff in fellowship.
Just an FYI, I’m sure you’re aware of this already but you can get a hand fellowship from either ortho or plastics, which is why you’re seeing a plastic surgeon in that video.
 
Hello,

I am third year about to take a year off for research. My dilemma begins summer after first year. I applied for a summer research fellowship at the top program for orthopedics because, at first, I just wanted to spend my summer in NYC (I was planning on going into something else). Somehow I got in, and I fell in love with orthopedics. I developed a great relationship with my mentor and some residents there during the research period and came out with a podium presentation, a paper in a top ortho journal, and a book chapter. My mentor asked me if I wanted to come back to do a research year. At the time, I was so new to ortho that I said possibly but not sure. But the program made a big impact on me, and it became my dream program.

I came back from NYC and met the newly hired chair of the ortho department at my program. I started working with him and we've published some papers since then with more on the way. My program was not very academic before he came so he wanted to increase the amount of research coming out of the department. He has been looking to me to increase the paper output, and he has become a very important mentor of mine.

Now I am in the last semester of my third year, and I have to decide where I want to spend my research year. There's obviously a huge benefit staying at my home program and publishing papers with various attendings in the department, or I could pursue my dream and try to go to NYC. However, my hesitation about NYC is that my boards are a little below median for ortho and I likely will not be AOA, so I'm not sure if going to NYC will even help my chances of matching there. I'm afraid that if I go to NYC, I'll be burning some bridges at my home program and then end up not matching at the NYC program anyway. At the same time, it is my dream and part of me is just telling me to go for it.

I would really appreciate any advice on this... I apologize if it seems like I'm humble bragging, but I am genuinely worried.

Thanks in advance.

You should be worried. Not to be mean, but your “a part of me is just telling me to go for it” statement is ridiculously naive. I’m assuming by “top ortho program” you’re talking about HSS. It is the most competitive ortho residency in the US. With median scores, don’t even think about it. Those guys not only have the 250+ scores and AOA and research to make them the best applicants in the country, they likely have moms dads and uncles making a phone call for them behind closed doors. There’s a reason it is also sometimes called the “Hospital for Special Sons.” Do not give up an excellent chance at your home program to get the prestige of the HSS name. No one cares where you went in the end, it’s all about taking care of patients and being a good surgeon. Your home program is practically giving you an open door to their residency by offering you the research year. You did what you were supposed to do at HSS; get the letter from your mentor there, and apply to your home program and to realistic places based on your scores.
I say this as someone who has plenty of experience with an ivory tower program... do not chase an unrealistic dream. Get your residency, then apply to an HSS fellowship if you’re so hung up on NYC.
 
You should be worried. Not to be mean, but your “a part of me is just telling me to go for it” statement is ridiculously naive. I’m assuming by “top ortho program” you’re talking about HSS. It is the most competitive ortho residency in the US. With median scores, don’t even think about it. Those guys not only have the 250+ scores and AOA and research to make them the best applicants in the country, they likely have moms dads and uncles making a phone call for them behind closed doors. There’s a reason it is also sometimes called the “Hospital for Special Sons.” Do not give up an excellent chance at your home program to get the prestige of the HSS name. No one cares where you went in the end, it’s all about taking care of patients and being a good surgeon. Your home program is practically giving you an open door to their residency by offering you the research year. You did what you were supposed to do at HSS; get the letter from your mentor there, and apply to your home program and to realistic places based on your scores.
I say this as someone who has plenty of experience with an ivory tower program... do not chase an unrealistic dream. Get your residency, then apply to an HSS fellowship if you’re so hung up on NYC.

Thank you. I really needed to hear an objective point of view.. Up until just recently, I was committed to staying at my home program, but I think hearing people say that I should "go for it" made me second guess myself. They clearly do not know what they're talking about and I feel naive for listening to that. Thank you again.
 
Thank you. I really needed to hear an objective point of view.. Up until just recently, I was committed to staying at my home program, but I think hearing people say that I should "go for it" made me second guess myself. They clearly do not know what they're talking about and I feel naive for listening to that. Thank you again.

No problem.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
With Match Day quickly approaching, I'm starting to work on a plan B for the worst possible scenario. What do you recommend for applicants who are dead-set on ortho but don't match? A research year or a prelim general surgery year? The reason for not matching would be low scores that got the applicant screened out at many programs.

The prevailing advice I've heard is to go for the prelim year because then you're eligible for any spot that opens up during the year / PGY2 position (super rare but possible) and you can impress the associated ortho program like you would on an away. The other argument is that a research year won't change my low scores and I'd still get screened out the second time around.

My main concern with the prelim year is that it's the final step in the process. If I don't match after the prelim year, I'm screwed. If I don't match after a research year, then I can still go prelim, which gives me an extra shot.

How do you look at prelim surgery applicants? Do they have a chance anywhere besides their home program?

I've talked to a few applicants in this position and there's no clear answer so we're utterly confused as to what we should do. Also, I apologize if this has been addressed already. I've been following the thread and didn't see anything related to not matching.
 
With Match Day quickly approaching, I'm starting to work on a plan B for the worst possible scenario. What do you recommend for applicants who are dead-set on ortho but don't match? A research year or a prelim general surgery year? The reason for not matching would be low scores that got the applicant screened out at many programs.

The prevailing advice I've heard is to go for the prelim year because then you're eligible for any spot that opens up during the year / PGY2 position (super rare but possible) and you can impress the associated ortho program like you would on an away. The other argument is that a research year won't change my low scores and I'd still get screened out the second time around.

My main concern with the prelim year is that it's the final step in the process. If I don't match after the prelim year, I'm screwed. If I don't match after a research year, then I can still go prelim, which gives me an extra shot.

How do you look at prelim surgery applicants? Do they have a chance anywhere besides their home program?

I've talked to a few applicants in this position and there's no clear answer so we're utterly confused as to what we should do. Also, I apologize if this has been addressed already. I've been following the thread and didn't see anything related to not matching.

Yes there’s no clear answer.

First I don’t know why you’d be screwed if you did a prelim year and didn’t match. Not sure why you couldn’t do a research year at that point. That being said I matched ortho after a prelim year, but had I not matched I was ready to move on with my life (I interviewed at and ranked a handful of Gen Surg programs)

It depends on what you think is right for you, and an honest assessment of your deficiencies. You can’t fix a Step one score, but you can show that you are good clinician, have a superior work ethic, and have a not terrible personality. Those would be a good reasons to do a prelim year, in addition to getting a pgy2 spot. If you don’t have a lot of research, a year doing that may help you out. You can also make connections at your new home program and those guys may be willing to go to bat for you if needed.

Either way, be forewarned that not matching carries a rather bleak prognosis no matter what.
 
With Match Day quickly approaching, I'm starting to work on a plan B for the worst possible scenario. What do you recommend for applicants who are dead-set on ortho but don't match? A research year or a prelim general surgery year? The reason for not matching would be low scores that got the applicant screened out at many programs.

The prevailing advice I've heard is to go for the prelim year because then you're eligible for any spot that opens up during the year / PGY2 position (super rare but possible) and you can impress the associated ortho program like you would on an away. The other argument is that a research year won't change my low scores and I'd still get screened out the second time around.

My main concern with the prelim year is that it's the final step in the process. If I don't match after the prelim year, I'm screwed. If I don't match after a research year, then I can still go prelim, which gives me an extra shot.

How do you look at prelim surgery applicants? Do they have a chance anywhere besides their home program?

I've talked to a few applicants in this position and there's no clear answer so we're utterly confused as to what we should do. Also, I apologize if this has been addressed already. I've been following the thread and didn't see anything related to not matching.

I agree with the above answer. I haven’t seen anyone match outside the home program out of a prelim year. I think a research year would be better, because it may get you good LORs that may trump low scores. But be ready to move on if it doesn’t work the second time around.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
What's the best approach for selecting programs to do away rotations at? I'm having trouble finding objective data on the competitiveness of programs, which makes it hard to determine where I would be a competitive applicant. If I'm doing home rotation + 3 aways, is it worth rotating at 1 reach program or is that a waste of time?
 
What's the best approach for selecting programs to do away rotations at? I'm having trouble finding objective data on the competitiveness of programs, which makes it hard to determine where I would be a competitive applicant. If I'm doing home rotation + 3 aways, is it worth rotating at 1 reach program or is that a waste of time?

I answered a similar question before in this ama....yes if your grades are good, rotate at a reach because it’s basically like doing a month long interview. If you rotate and sell yourself well, you have a better chance of matching there than a non-rotator.
Objective data on competitiveness is hard to come by. Orthogate has some.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
I answered a similar question before in this ama....yes if your grades are good, rotate at a reach because it’s basically like doing a month long interview. If you rotate and sell yourself well, you have a better chance of matching there than a non-rotator.
Objective data on competitiveness is hard to come by. Orthogate has some.

Ah, sorry about that! My skimming of this thread was not thorough enough because I totally missed it. 😱

What do you mean by good? I'm pretty average for ortho (average step 1 and average publications for ortho) so I'm not sure if it's worth trying to rotate at one of the big name places like Iowa, Rothman/Jeff, Washington U, etc.
 
Ah, sorry about that! My skimming of this thread was not thorough enough because I totally missed it. 😱

What do you mean by good? I'm pretty average for ortho (average step 1 and average publications for ortho) so I'm not sure if it's worth trying to rotate at one of the big name places like Iowa, Rothman/Jeff, Washington U, etc.

I’m trying not to answer specifics on this ama but for me 245+ would be worth rotating.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
First I don’t know why you’d be screwed if you did a prelim year and didn’t match. Not sure why you couldn’t do a research year at that point. .

I was under the impression that research years are for people still enrolled in med school, either between 3rd and 4th year or after not matching. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

Also thank you and @OrthoTraumaMD for responding so quickly and offering your advice.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When you were first learning surgeries, how did you find you best picked techniques up?
For example, watching operations/videos vs. sim/cadaver practice vs. reading on your own, etc.
 
When you were first learning surgeries, how did you find you best picked techniques up?
For example, watching operations/videos vs. sim/cadaver practice vs. reading on your own, etc.

Hoppenfeld’s, and practice practice practice in real people with supervision from my attendings. Nothing else compares.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Excellent question.

1. The writer and their reputation, particularly if I know them well. Based on what my colleagues in the trauma world say in their letter, I can tell whether they like the applicant or not, just from reading so many of their letters and comparing what they say about one applicant versus another. Most use a template, and very rarely deviate from it. When they do, it is usually a significant “tell,” either for the better or the worse.
2. Length of the letter—size does matter. A short letter means the writer doesn’t know applicant well, or care that much.
3. Content words like “the best,” “good,” etc. I pay attention to adjectives. “The best student I’ve worked with in the past ten years” is very different from “He was a great student who worked hard.”
4. Specifics. Generic phrases kill a letter. If a writer tells me an applicant-related story or event that somehow highlights the applicant as an individual, it goes a long way.
5. Speculations about the person’s (positive) future in the field. In my own fellowship rec letter, my mentor stated, in a very Vader-like way and as only he could, “i have no doubt she will be a master after her training is complete.” (In case anyone cares, I am a huge Star Wars fan, and I told him that like any true Sith, I would have to kill him before I could get an apprentice of my own!) If someone writes about a bright future and tells me why they think this applicant is destined for one, it definitely piques my interest.
6. Ultimately though, if I’m having trouble deciphering a letter writer’s intentions... like if they write a great letter but I am not sure what they truly think, I just call them and ask, the same way my mentor does, “would you stake your reputation and career on this person, that they will make a good orthopod?” It’s hard to say “yes” to that unless you really feel this way.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thank you for this! Saving this for the future 🙂
 
Thanks! I've read back on your previous responses for med student prep to be competitive for ortho residencies. For M1, obviously my first priority will be settling in academically and (hopefully) putting myself in a good position for the boards.
In addition to this, it seems like my focus should be finding ortho clinical research- and hopefully, through that research, a department mentor. Is that accurate? Is there anything else that you would view as very important for M1/M2 to put students on a solid path for residency apps?

(Apologies if previously addressed and I missed it)
 
@OrthoTraumaMD

I think it would be awesome if a moderator or someone went through and dug all the Q&A's and made them a sticky at the beginning of this thread. This has become so helpful for so many students. Just reading back at your answers and others (@VincentAdultman), there is a lot of wisdom in here.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.