Jan 6, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I'm an MSIII looking to apply for ortho army programs - and yes, I know ortho is competitive. I'm looking for any advice on which ortho programs are the most competitive. I have a slightly above average USMLE step 1 score and grades. Looking to do 2 rotations and I'm not sure if I should play it safe ... or rotate, rank to match, and interview knowing that I have a 50/50 chance to get my match. Is it better to play it safe and rank the lower programs to ensure that I match ortho? Or is worth risking where I want to match knowing that I may do a GMO or transitional year. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

bleeker10

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2008
GA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
All the programs are competitive. Rotate where you want, not where you think you have the best chance. If you go in with the mindset that you are gonna rank the "lower programs" (a ridiculous notion in its own right), then you will be disappointed. I rotated at places where I wanted to live, which is why I never rotated at Walter Reed or SAMMC. Rotate, work hard, be personable and get along with the residents. If you want more advice, PM me. I'm a resident at one of the programs.

bustbones26

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I'm an MSIII looking to apply for ortho army programs - and yes, I know ortho is competitive. I'm looking for any advice on which ortho programs are the most competitive. I have a slightly above average USMLE step 1 score and grades. Looking to do 2 rotations and I'm not sure if I should play it safe ... or rotate, rank to match, and interview knowing that I have a 50/50 chance to get my match. Is it better to play it safe and rank the lower programs to ensure that I match ortho? Or is worth risking where I want to match knowing that I may do a GMO or transitional year. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Medical professions that are competitive in the civilian world are still competitive in the Army (e.g. ortho, ENT, etc). Its all a numbers game! While you may not be competing against potentially all medical students in the country, you will be competing for only a handful of programs. Truth is, the Army can backfire on you!! I have seen students with exceptional board scores, grades, found cures for HIV, climbed Everest, won and arm wrestling match against the Worlds' Most Interesting Man, yadda yadda yadda and did NOT match because there simply was more applicants than spots. In the civilian world, if you do not match, you can at least scramble. If the Army world, if you do not match, say hello to a TY year followed by a two year tour as a GMO and/or flight surgeon.

I'd advise you to apply to all programs, even the ones that you do not want to go to. This is the problem with Army GME, virtually impossible to rotate at every hospital that has your chosen specialty. Bear in mind, words go far!! If you do rotate at a lesser known program, keep in mind that those attendings came from somewhere, they can add insight into their former programs and advise you appropriately. For what it's worth, I am not an ortho, but I have known a few guys in ortho that did their training at one of the "lesser known" program and were very happy there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shikima

Baron Samedi

7+ Year Member
May 30, 2010
Hell
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Rotated at MAMC a while back and found the program to be malignant and also learned it's one of the more popular places for applicants to rank #1 for some reason.

OP
P
Jan 6, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Any details about your rotation? Also- have you heard much about Tripler or Eisenhower? I've heard SAMMC is one of the most competitive - is this true? Has anyone ever been matched at a location that you did not rotate at?

bleeker10

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2008
GA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I matched at a program I didn't rotate at. I rotated at Tripler and am a resident at Eisenhower

Baron Samedi

7+ Year Member
May 30, 2010
Hell
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Any details about your rotation? Also- have you heard much about Tripler or Eisenhower? I've heard SAMMC is one of the most competitive - is this true? Has anyone ever been matched at a location that you did not rotate at?
What sort of details would you like?

OP
P
Jan 6, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Details such as... Which programs are most competitive? What are the staff in the Ortho programs like in these programs? How are the hospitals in comparison? Any suggestions on how to prepare for ADTs that are Ortho specific (i.e. books).

bleeker10

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2008
GA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Details such as... Which programs are most competitive? .
Madigan, WR and SAMMC seem to generate the most interest. It seemed like most east coast applicants wanted WR, while midwest and west coast wanted SAMMC and Madigan. But they all are good and competitive. It seemed like Beaumont and Eisenhower had the least amount of rotators due to location and them not being as well known as the big 3.

What are the staff in the Ortho programs like in these programs? .
At my program, all of them are fellowship trained. When I was at Beaumont and Tripler, they each had a new attending that was a chief who just graduated from that program. The culture at each program is different. But staff come and go during your residency. The most important thing for the culture is the residents since you will work with them for 1-4 years. Do they hang out outside the hospital? Do they routinely get together for dinner? When I was at Madigan, the residents would hang out at the hospital even after they were off. At my program, we get together at least once a month for a "family" dinner/get together. We will go on weekend trips together. Are you married? Do you have kids? Look at each program and see how many single vs. families there are. My program is about 50-50.

How are the hospitals in comparison?.
What exactly are you wanting to know with this question? Size? Layout? Types of pathology seen? Cell phone service? Trauma?

Any suggestions on how to prepare for ADTs that are Ortho specific (i.e. books).
Netter's ortho anatomy should be your primary source. Handbook of fractures is helpful although I didn't use it much on my rotations. If you have cases to read about, ask the residents to print you off an article about it. Know your anatomy cold. Work hard, stay late, take call. Not all programs will even get you computer access. Of the 4 programs I've been to, only Eisenhower and Tripler asks students to get labs and vitals on patients for rounds.

Getting along with the residents is really important. You will be with these people a lot of the time and they don't want someone who is awkward or a d-bag.

kmawfo

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 26, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Are you ARMY? Message me and I will give you the run down on the ARMY Orthopadeics

kmawfo

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 26, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Orthopaedics is the correct spelling

Sent from iPhone/iCloud

kmawfo

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 26, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
psca26: just a heads up buddy. Due to the downsize and needs of the Army. GMO lands equals 2 years in the field or flight surgery before you can reapply for residency. GME changed the guidelines after they brought in an enormous amount of docs in 2011 and 2012.

Sent from iPhone/iCloud