Ortho Scribe Looking for Info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedAvenger

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a scribe in an orthopedic practice and work with a few different specialties, ranging from podiatry to spine surgery. My particular program is heavy on scribe responsibilities, relatively low on training. I've learned a ton by asking questions, but I'm trying to get up to speed ASAP. So, are there any resources out there that other scribes have found helpful? Anything from trips and tricks for navigating EMR's (we use Epic) or guidelines on what sorts of things really ought to be included in the documentation that I might be missing. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was an Orthopaedic scribe for 2 yrs. Are you looking for coding info or ortho terms? I always looked up the obscure codes on google, just google “lumbar ddd/djd icd10” for example. For ortho terms, did you get a manual from ScribeAmerica or some other company?

I didn’t have a lot of background knowledge coming in or floor training, but I got better w/ time. Once you get the hang of it, certain codes become ingrained in your memory, same with the hpi, PE, and treatment sections.

Looking for anything and everything that might be useful. I don't have to do much with ICD10 stuff at this point, but that may change in the spring. I'm more curious about proper documentation and knowing what types of elements insurance companies require for approving different procedures/orders. Or at least where to find that info. I don't have a manual. We're hired by the practice directly, not a contract-type company.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a scribe in an orthopedic practice and work with a few different specialties, ranging from podiatry to spine surgery. My particular program is heavy on scribe responsibilities, relatively low on training. I've learned a ton by asking questions, but I'm trying to get up to speed ASAP. So, are there any resources out there that other scribes have found helpful? Anything from trips and tricks for navigating EMR's (we use Epic) or guidelines on what sorts of things really ought to be included in the documentation that I might be missing. Thanks!

Hi I just saw this post and wanted to ask if you ever ended up finding any resources for getting up to speed in your ortho practice?

I am just looking for scribing practice and info I can work on in the meantime, while looking for a scribing position.

Hi I just saw this post and wanted to ask if you ever ended up finding any resources for getting up to speed in your ortho practice?

I am just looking for scribing practice and info I can work on in the meantime, while looking for a scribing position.
Hey! Honestly, no. Google was helpful for coding but ultimately I ended up refusing to code for my docs unless my employer would properly train me to do so. I learned a lot on the job and familiarized myself with new docs/clinics by reading as many of that doc’s old notes as I could. Like the other commentor said above, it all comes with time, you just have to put some extra effort in at first. I wish you luck finding a position! It was great experience!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! Honestly, no. Google was helpful for coding but ultimately I ended up refusing to code for my docs unless my employer would properly train me to do so. I learned a lot on the job and familiarized myself with new docs/clinics by reading as many of that doc’s old notes as I could. Like the other commentor said above, it all comes with time, you just have to put some extra effort in at first. I wish you luck finding a position! It was great experience!
thank you! I just received an offer letter with an employment at will policy that's a little nerve wracking " company can terminate your job with or without cause at any time" , but no pressure to me lol. I will make sure to put some extra supplemental work before I start!