• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

Billy Gilmore

10+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
What orthodontics textbook is most commonly used in residency?

I would assume that Profitt and Graber are the top two. Is one used by more programs than the other or do many programs require both?

I noticed the list price for Graber is about twice that of Profitt.

Jediwendell

10+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2004
Status (Visible)
What orthodontics textbook is most commonly used in residency?

I would assume that Profitt and Graber are the top two. Is one used by more programs than the other or do many programs require both?

I noticed the list price for Graber is about twice that of Profitt.

They are both good to have. Proffit is more of a "basic" text, but it may be the best written textbook I have ever seen. Even with a fair amount of experience I can reread it and find things that I have missed or didn't understand before. Graber is more of an "advanced" text, but it doesn't offer many insights like Prof does. The bone biology and basics of Graber are good. Something that makes me mad, though, is the chapters on Speed, Damon, etc. These chapters are nothing but infomercials and if you have seen their speils at a meeting then you have read the chapters. They even use the same pictures. Prof's book is a work of art, really. Graber is a great text too. I would buy both. Don't buy McNamara's book. It is too expensive, very dated and highly biased. Okeson's book on TMD and occlusion is a must have, also.

gryffindor

15+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2002
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
"Biomechanics and Esthetic Strategies in Clinical Orthodontics" by Nanda. I bought this book a few months ago and I like it because of the cases presented/discussed in there. I've looked in this book a number of times now while trying to treatment plan some of my patients and it has given me some direction on what to do. I like books with pictures and this one has a lot of them (the text is good too!). However, it is quite expensive.

If you buy multiple textbooks at the Elsevier booth at a dental meeting, they will give you a discount and free shipping. I think it was 4 books = 20% discount. It worked out well since a resident & I combined our order to get the discount.

Edit: oh, I see you asked for the most common books. Then I guess I would say Proffit and Graber as well. I just feel like those books leave me hanging when I'm trying to treatment plan.

Jediwendell

10+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2004
Status (Visible)
"Biomechanics and Esthetic Strategies in Clinical Orthodontics" by Nanda. I bought this book a few months ago and I like it because of the cases presented/discussed in there. I've looked in this book a number of times now while trying to treatment plan some of my patients and it has given me some direction on what to do. I like books with pictures and this one has a lot of them (the text is good too!). However, it is quite expensive.

If you buy multiple textbooks at the Elsevier booth at a dental meeting, they will give you a discount and free shipping. I think it was 4 books = 20% discount. It worked out well since a resident & I combined our order to get the discount.

Edit: oh, I see you asked for the most common books. Then I guess I would say Proffit and Graber as well. I just feel like those books leave me hanging when I'm trying to treatment plan.

I agree. For treatment planning try the MBT book by McLaughlin. It is easy to read and basically tells you how to do orthodontics.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.