Orthodontics Residency question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ninna

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am an international dentist that would like yo apply to Orthodontic Residency in a couple of years. I will like to know any suggestions about improving my CV to be accept.

First, I don't have the best grades in dental school, in my country is until 20pts (A+) and I have 15.85 (I don't know if that is a B or C) -

I graduated in December 2015 and in June 2016 I start doing research in Uconn, as a post-doctoral fellow position -I don't have PHD- (my contract was for 1 year). Then, this year in May I got a Research Fellowship until 3 years (also in Uconn). I already have a publication (I am the 3rd author) and I hope for the time to apply to school I will have another publication (1st author).

I know that I have to present, NBDE part 1 and 2, GRE and TOEFL. (Im working on it). I am pretty young (I'm 25 years). Do you think I should do AEGD or any other programs, or social work?

I really not familiar with the profile of student that Orthodontics faculty like.

I would appreciate any help or suggestion.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

I am an international dentist that would like yo apply to Orthodontic Residency in a couple of years. I will like to know any suggestions about improving my CV to be accept.

First, I don't have the best grades in dental school, in my country is until 20pts (A+) and I have 15.85 (I don't know if that is a B or C) -

I graduated in December 2015 and in June 2016 I start doing research in Uconn, as a post-doctoral fellow position -I don't have PHD- (my contract was for 1 year). Then, this year in May I got a Research Fellowship until 3 years (also in Uconn). I already have a publication (I am the 3rd author) and I hope for the time to apply to school I will have another publication (1st author).

I know that I have to present, NBDE part 1 and 2, GRE and TOEFL. (Im working on it). I am pretty young (I'm 25 years). Do you think I should do AEGD or any other programs, or social work?

I really not familiar with the profile of student that Orthodontics faculty like.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!
That's great , How did you find this research opportunity?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All,

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

As you may or may not know, recently a graduate of the UConn ortho program became faculty. They were an international dentist that got their PhD at UConn and then did the ortho residency there too. If you're very interested in research, that's one possible avenue. Or you could apply to orthodontic fellowship programs to get your foot in the door at a program, as many look for well-qualified international dentists with interests in research. However, that may be costly.

Does the current research you're doing have relevancies in orthodontia?

As you may or may not know, recently a graduate of the UConn ortho program became faculty. They were an international dentist that got their PhD at UConn and then did the ortho residency there too. If you're very interested in research, that's one possible avenue. Or you could apply to orthodontic fellowship programs to get your foot in the door at a program, as many look for well-qualified international dentists with interests in research. However, that may be costly.

Does the current research you're doing have relevancies in orthodontia?

Thank you for your response.

My first collaboration research was in tibia bone. My actual project is about mouse teeth.

I know they want student with research, but I don't know if they want the residents have Phd (I like research so far, but no really to go into a Phd program).

Don't forget that there is also a new exam out called the ADAT that people who want to apply to dental specialty programs must take in the future.

Reactions: 1 user