Orthopedics Reserach

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perrotfish

Has an MD in Horribleness
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to send an E-mail to one of the deans at my new medical school asking where to start looking for a research job in Ortho. My question is: does that make sense as a request? Do you do reserarch in Orthopedics, specifically?

I really have no experience in medical research, in case you can't guess.

Members don't see this ad.

Make sure you do a lot of digging and research on your school website and at the school of medicine on research opportunities in Orthopedics before bugging a dean.

I'm looking. This is the person admissions told me to contact, though, so this isn't out of the blue. The didn't even say go to the website, they said 'E-mail this person'.

So really I'm fine with it as long as the E-mail itself makes sense. I'm just worried it sound like

'I wanna do reasearch on the medicine, do you know where I go to do research on the medicine?'

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh. No. You should be fine then.

Ask him if he knows of any Orthopedic-centric research programs looking for some eager beavers to lend a helping bonesaw.

I'm about to send an E-mail to one of the deans at my new medical school asking where to start looking for a research job in Ortho. My question is: does that make sense as a request? Do you do reserarch in Orthopedics, specifically?

I really have no experience in medical research, in case you can't guess.

Are you a medical student right now, or will you be one in fall?

You can go through the Dean of Students, but your best bet would be to look at your school's affiliated hospital's website. Look under the ortho department and it should list all the surgeons and researchers who work there somewhere. E-mail contacts are available sometimes if you're lucky.

Also, yes there's ortho research. Basic science (lookin under a microscope at osteoclasts n blasts n cytes n all that) and then clinical (just looking at charts and retrieving data etc.). Then transitional is a combination thereof.

Right, another route is to look up the ortho faculty's web bios and see who has a research interest you think would be, well, interesting. Then just shoot him/her (or their secretary) an email asking if there's any room for an assistant on any of their projects, or even better, if there are any 'dead' projects that just need a motivated person to take over and get going.

BTW this will be easier if you're actually in the med school.

Right, another route is to look up the ortho faculty's web bios and see who has a research interest you think would be, well, interesting. Then just shoot him/her (or their secretary) an email asking if there's any room for an assistant on any of their projects, or even better, if there are any 'dead' projects that just need a motivated person to take over and get going.

BTW this will be easier if you're actually in the med school.

True talk. Also, I wouldn't wanna jump the gun about being fully devoted to a research project just yet. If you're not in med school yet which it seems like, this is just my opinion, but I'd suggest a relaxing summer off. Also, you'll soon realize that med school's a time consuming b*tch and juggling something huge like ortho research might not be a great idea. Most med students do research between first and 2nd year.

True talk. Also, I wouldn't wanna jump the gun about being fully devoted to a research project just yet. If you're not in med school yet which it seems like, this is just my opinion, but I'd suggest a relaxing summer off. Also, you'll soon realize that med school's a time consuming b*tch and juggling something huge like ortho research might not be a great idea. Most med students do research between first and 2nd year.

okay so quick question about that... if med students do research only that summer, isn't that only like 2 months? I thought you had to get publications, etc to get into the really competitive fields. Doesn't that take much longer, or am I mistaken:confused:?

Yeah, I just finished an SMP at the school, so I've already passed almost all of the first semester's courses. Since that leaves the first semester pretty much empty other than two light courses and TAing, I figured this would be a good time to get a publication or two before I started drowning in work again.

Also between first and second year I'm going to be... wherever the military tells me to be. HPSP student.

Yeah, I just finished an SMP at the school, so I've already passed almost all of the first semester's courses. Since that leaves the first semester pretty much empty other than two light courses and TAing, I figured this would be a good time to get a publication or two before I started drowning in work again.

Also between first and second year I'm going to be... wherever the military tells me to be. HPSP student.

Ah that makes sense then :thumbup: