Osteopathic Cardiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gagolden

Call me the DOgg
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question

In order to apply to osteopathic cardiology fellowships what are the rules. Of course you need to finish a IM residency, and doing a AOA IM program would be a straight shot, but could you...

Go do a good allopathic IM program, get your internship year approved by resolution 42 for hardship. Pay your dues to the AOA for all three years so your a member of the AOA etc. Then apply for osteopathic cards fellowships?
Or do they require that you attend a true AOA IM program?

Members don't see this ad.

gagolden said:
I have a question

In order to apply to osteopathic cardiology fellowships what are the rules. Of course you need to finish a IM residency, and doing a AOA IM program would be a straight shot, but could you...

Go do a good allopathic IM program, get your internship year approved by resolution 42 for hardship. Pay your dues to the AOA for all three years so your a member of the AOA etc. Then apply for osteopathic cards fellowships?
Or do they require that you attend a true AOA IM program?

You can do an ACGME program. Yes, you'll have to have the internship year approved.

OSUdoc08 said:
You can do an ACGME program. Yes, you'll have to have the internship year approved.

I dont see anywhere where this is spelled out, and in my searches, Ive in fact found that the opposite may be true. Ive been told by practicing physicians on this board that once you enter the ACGME for residency that fellowships may be limited to you in the AOA realm. It would be highly beneficial to contact some specific programs and ask rather than take the word of someone here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where are the osteopathic cardiology fellowships? I did not even realize that we had any...

It would seem like a hard thing to do when you could just go through the ACGME all the way and then have more opportunities available to you anyways.

I did not know you where interested in cards, me too by the way.

babyruth said:
Where are the osteopathic cardiology fellowships? I did not even realize that we had any...

It would seem like a hard thing to do when you could just go through the ACGME all the way and then have more opportunities available to you anyways.

I did not know you where interested in cards, me too by the way.

Why would you have more opportunities through the ACGME? That doesn't make any sense. Here are the AOA Cardiology Fellowships:

NSUCOM/Sun Coast Hospital - Cardiology Residency

Cardiology

Largo

FL

Mercy Heart Ctr/Mercy Center-North IA - Cardiology Residency

Cardiology

Mason City

IA

St James Hosp & Health Centers - Cardiology Residency

Cardiology

Olympia Fields

IL

Botsford General Hospital - Cardiology Residency

Cardiology

Farmington Hills

MI

Garden City Hospital - Cardiology Residency

Cardiology

Garden City

MI

Ingham Regional Medical Center - Cardiology Residency

Cardiology

Lansing

MI

Mount Clemens General Hospital - Cardiology Residency

Cardiology

Mount Clemens

MI

Pontiac Osteopathic Hosp Med Center (POH) - Cardiology Residency

Cardiology

Pontiac

MI

Oakwood Southshore Medical Center - Cardiology Residency

Cardiology

Trenton

MI

PCOM/Deborah Heart & Lung Ctr - Cardiology Residency

Cardiology

Browns Mills

NJ

UMDNJ/SOM/Kennedy Mem Hsp/Our Lady of Lourdes - Cardiology Residency

Cardiology

Stratford

NJ

OUCOM/Doctors Hospital - Cardiology Residency

Cardiology

Columbus

OH

OUCOM/Grandview Hosp & Medical Ctr - Cardiology Residency

Cardiology

Dayton

OH

UHHS Richmond Heights Hospital - Cardiology Residency

Cardiology

Richmond Heights

OH

Tulsa Regional Medical Center - Cardiology Residency

Cardiology

Tulsa

OK

PCOM/Frankford Hospitals - Cardiology Residency

Cardiology

Philadelphia

PA

UNTHSCFW/TCOM/Plaza Medical Center - Cardiology Residency

Cardiology

Fort Worth

TX

aren't those just residencies? I thought there was a difference between residencies and fellowships.

Idiopathic said:
I dont see anywhere where this is spelled out, and in my searches, Ive in fact found that the opposite may be true. Ive been told by practicing physicians on this board that once you enter the ACGME for residency that fellowships may be limited to you in the AOA realm. It would be highly beneficial to contact some specific programs and ask rather than take the word of someone here.

I agree with contacting programs. I can tell you however that at the hospital where I work (St James Olympia Fields), all but one cardiology fellow came from an allopathic internal medicine residency. The people in the department will tell you there that you should go to the BEST place you can for your medicine residency. The applicants they get for their cardio fellowship program mostly come from very good allopathic medicine residencies. Two of the guys I know went to Georgetown and Univ of Miami for their medicine residency.

FL DOC said:
aren't those just residencies? I thought there was a difference between residencies and fellowships.

Internal Medicine = Residency

Cardiology = Fellowship

Since my origional post, Ive talked to two program directors and the ACOI. And here is the official word.

1) Program directors think the AOA rules are obsurd and out of date
2) You must get your internship approved by resolution 42
3) Get your residency approved by a process similar to resolution 42. The ACOI made it sound like if your internship is approved, its pretty hard to deny your residency. You must do some paperwork and some osteopathic CME. (Whatever that means? OMT confrence or what?)
4) Take the osteopathic IM boards. You must pass the osteopathic IM boards before you can apply for the osteopathic specialty boards.

So its doable, just some extra loops to jump thru. Hope this helps everyone.

Keep in mind, you can do a fellowship, but as for board certification, there are completely different rules other than prop 42 to think about. You have to be careful as to what is involved in being a board certified cardiologist, as opposed to someone who has just completed a cardiology fellowship. Ive had it reported to me that someone who does an ACGME residency and an AOA fellowship may run into trouble becoming board certified by the ACGME boards, and Ive heard people who wont hire someone only certified by the AOA boards.

I dont doubt that you could get an AOA fellowship after completing an ACGME residency however.

"Why would you have more opportunities through the ACGME? That doesn't make any sense."

I meant there are far more fellowships out there through the ACGME so you have more choices.