Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Osteopathic Hospitals in California...?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by alexcc_ms, Oct 2, 2000.

1. alexcc_ms

alexcc_ms Member

Where are they? How many are there? What's the story with residencies there????
    Anybody?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Lee

Lee Sleestack
    Staff Member Administrator

Attending Physician
    Hi-

There are few osteopathic hospitals left anywhere in the United States. In California there haven't been any DO hospitals since the 1960s.

However, there are a number of osteopathic residencies. These can be found at the AOA website: http://opportunities.aoa-net.org

I'm partial to the Downey Regional Medical Center Family Medicine Residency Program. But that's because I'm the Director of Medical Education there. [​IMG]

4. TNT

TNT Senior Member

I actually went to the site and found it to be very informative. I did notice one thing though, I hear that surgery was a difficult field to go into. But, notice that many of the really sought after residencies remain unfilled. For instance I saw many General surgery and even one Neurological surgery residency unfilled. I'm just curious why, was it because nobody was interested in it?

5. Lee

Lee Sleestack
    Staff Member Administrator

Attending Physician
    It's usually because the program is not accepting residents, but the program remains listed by the AOA.

Also, don't pay much attention to the numbers the AOA lists in the Opportunities directory -- they're wrong. For instance, the information for our program is completely incorrect: we have 10 interns and 20 residents. However, the Opportunities site lists us as having 11 interns and 12 residents.