Osteopathic Hospitals in California...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alexcc_ms

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where are they? How many are there? What's the story with residencies there????
Anybody?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi-

There are few osteopathic hospitals left anywhere in the United States. In California there haven't been any DO hospitals since the 1960s.

However, there are a number of osteopathic residencies. These can be found at the AOA website: http://opportunities.aoa-net.org

I'm partial to the Downey Regional Medical Center Family Medicine Residency Program. But that's because I'm the Director of Medical Education there.
wink.gif

I actually went to the site and found it to be very informative. I did notice one thing though, I hear that surgery was a difficult field to go into. But, notice that many of the really sought after residencies remain unfilled. For instance I saw many General surgery and even one Neurological surgery residency unfilled. I'm just curious why, was it because nobody was interested in it?

It's usually because the program is not accepting residents, but the program remains listed by the AOA.

Also, don't pay much attention to the numbers the AOA lists in the Opportunities directory -- they're wrong. For instance, the information for our program is completely incorrect: we have 10 interns and 20 residents. However, the Opportunities site lists us as having 11 interns and 12 residents.