Osteopathic Match Day Earlier than Allopathic Match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

weezynation

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Next year I am planning on taking Step 1 in addition to COMLEX 1 so I can apply to allopathic residencies that do not accept COMLEX. I just found out this year's AOA match day is February 10th and the allopathic match day is March 21st. I do not understand how this works. What if you get matched to an AOA residency and then find out the following month you got matched in an allopathic residency too? This may be a dumb question but I obviously am misunderstanding something.

Members don't see this ad.

If you match through the osteopathic match system you're withdrawn from the allopathic match.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are GUNG HO on getting in Allopathic then what some DO students do is take their chances, apply only MD and scramble into DO if they don't match. Risky business since you may not be able to land a residency in the end.

I still think it is wisest to apply to both matches, see what interviews you get, and then decide whether or not to drop out of the DO match. Seems far too risky to just apply to one match and then suddenly realize you may not have enough interviews and be forced to scramble. Go overboard with applications and then, and only then, start dropping some and/or drop out of the DO match.

I think that the nrmp match stats for 'independent' applicants (DO and fmg) plateaus at 90% likelihood of matching with 10 ranked programs, for internal medicine at least. Hey, that's kind of like the oxygen dissc curve! Left shift if you interview well, I imagine.

Next year I am planning on taking Step 1 in addition to COMLEX 1 so I can apply to allopathic residencies that do not accept COMLEX. I just found out this year's AOA match day is February 10th and the allopathic match day is March 21st. I do not understand how this works. What if you get matched to an AOA residency and then find out the following month you got matched in an allopathic residency too? This may be a dumb question but I obviously am misunderstanding something.

Just to clarify, whether or not it's necessary...this is how it has always been (not just "this year's" match) the do match is always before the MD. Plan accordingly.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

How does this work for programs that are dually-accredited?

How does this work for programs that are dually-accredited?
There are two matches. You should apply to your respective match. IE: Don't apply to an allopathic spot if there is an osteopathic spot. That said, if the osteopathic spots don't fill they can be moved to the allopathic match.

Reactions: 1 user
You decide if you will apply to AOA match, ACGME match or both.

If you pursue both:
If you match during the AOA match, you are done.
If you do not match, you can scramble for open spots. If you match here, you're done.
If you do not scramble or fail to match in the scramble, you can go through ACGME match.
If you match ACGME, you are done.
If you fail to match ACGME, you can still scramble.
If you match here, you are done. If you fail to match here... You are out of options and must reapply next year.

Basically 4 chances to match - 2 per each match.

Can you apply for one specialty in AOA match and a different specialty in ACGME match??

Can you apply for one specialty in AOA match and a different specialty in ACGME match??
Yea dude, you can apply for multiple specialties in either match if you want to.

You are out of options and must reapply next year.
Not true, if you forgo the AOA scramble initially you can go back and scramble AOA if you fail to match/scramble ACGME. Of course with greatly reduced options, but maybe you decided FM in Detroit was better than going without a spot.

Basically 4 chances to match. As stated.

I think that the nrmp match stats for 'independent' applicants (DO and fmg) plateaus at 90% likelihood of matching with 10 ranked programs, for internal medicine at least. Hey, that's kind of like the oxygen dissc curve! Left shift if you interview well, I imagine.
It isn't quite a plateau but there are certainly diminishing returns beyond 10 ranks.

I still think it is wisest to apply to both matches, see what interviews you get, and then decide whether or not to drop out of the DO match. Seems far too risky to just apply to one match and then suddenly realize you may not have enough interviews and be forced to scramble. Go overboard with applications and then, and only then, start dropping some and/or drop out of the DO match.

Curious if you did this.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

Not true, if you forgo the AOA scramble initially you can go back and scramble AOA if you fail to match/scramble ACGME. Of course with greatly reduced options, but maybe you decided FM in Detroit was better than going without a spot.

Straight FM, or you could just scramble into one of the many unmatched TRIs to at least have a job, and apply all over again. That seems really scary though, being in a TRI with no guaranteed exit plan...

Yup, I did, once I had enough MD interviews I cancelled DO ones and then dropped out of the DO match.

Ok, good to know. I'm in a similar position as you were but am going fm/psych and psych but was anticipating skipping everything DO match related. Maybe I'll rethink my plan

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD