Osteopathic medical students for the use of a MDO title

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

miam042

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I ask are we becomming
Doctors of Osteopathy or Doctors of Osteopathic Medicine?
Why is there an M missing from our professional title?
This post is to see what other osteopathic students know about the discussion of this topic amongst their peers or more importantly at the national level. Please post links to articles, ect. about changing the osteopathic title from DO to MDO, ect. Please DO NOT POST your opposition to this idea. Create your own thread. This is a PRO - MDO title thread. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously, on SDN, you're expecting only supportive posts? Oh lord.

MDO still implies osteopathy, and we have this huge boatload of issues with osteopath vs. osteopathic vs. osteopathy. It's a PR disaster. It's very nice that students want positive change, but don't overestimate your ability to get this right - it's been a problem for over a century, and plenty of wicked smart DOs have been pushing to fix DO since it was chosen. Plus you have about 50,000 DO's in practice that you'd have to convert - you don't really think that's a cakewalk, do you? Could we just get the AOA (the osteo org) to hire a decent PR firm and get this figured out for good? I'd even help pay for the evil genius Karl Rove if it would get the job finished.

The problem still comes down to "osteopath" and "osteopathy" and "osteopathic" and that these terms are all of the following:
1. stigmatized and contentious
2. orthogonal and ancillary to "medicine" and "physician"
3. the only identifiers that differentiate DO from MD
4. fine in some cases and verboten in others
5. incredibly f***ing confusing to explain even to smart people

With respect to acronym usefulness and overloading, the field of osteopathic medicine is completely ******ed:

AOA (Am Osteo Assoc) vs. AOA (MD honor society) vs. AMA (Am Med Assoc)

SOMA (students of osteo) vs. SOMA (school of osteo med AZ)

DO (doctor of osteopathy whether we like it or not) vs. MD (Latin for teacher of med) vs. OD (seriously, do we expect patients to know that DO is equiv to MD and not at all like the eye doctor they saw last week?)

Just the stupid naming conventions are my second biggest fear about becoming a DO.

If you want your voice really heard about this issue, go to the people who may actually have some influence on this issue. http://blogs.do-online.org/aoapresident.php. Look under "Using Osteopathic physician over osteopath." I for one don't think there is a need for a change, just a need for better marketing campaigns.

perhaps we should just shorten it to "O" or "O Dr!" I wouldn't mind hearing the nurses say "O DOCTOR COBB!" when ever I return a page.

I agree with max: MDO is just stupid. Either keep it DO or get rid of DO all together and just have one profession.

I agree with max: MDO is just stupid. Either keep it DO or get rid of DO all together and just have one profession.

one profession, indivisible, with medicine and manipulation for all.

An extra letter to sign? Ugh.

people already know that DO means physician and therefore no need to change to reflect that were are Doctors of Osteopathic Medicine, that's just being too picky with semantics. The title has been around for
100 yrs and changing it would be a disregard to the osteopathic heritage. MDO or DO, both essentially mean osteopathic doctor, the M is just superfluous and silly and can be confused with the MD degree which the DO is not.

An extra letter to sign? Ugh.

HaHa. I feel ya, when I have to sign my name with OMS-II at the end, I just pray when I can just put MS-II...it would give my thumb and index finger a little break. :laugh::laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
why use letters at all? How about a symbol, like prince?

why use letters at all? How about a symbol, like prince?
Yeah, just write your name, followed by a little spiral with a line thru it representing the snake around the staff :cool:

i agree. down with DOs ! make them Rn's!

I ask are we becomming
This post is to see what other osteopathic students know about the discussion of this topic amongst their peers or more importantly at the national level. Please post links to articles, ect. about changing the osteopathic title from DO to MDO, ect. Please DO NOT POST your opposition to this idea. Create your own thread. This is a PRO - MDO title thread. Thanks!!

By your logic we would be DOM's not MDO and DOM's is just confusing and stupid

Either just have one degree, or keep it D.O., in my opinion. I don't really care which.

I ask are we becomming

Who cares?

Why don't you people quit worrying about screwing around with the name and the title, and the degree and just BE A DO. Everyone knows who the hell you are, if they don't, it takes a 1 minute explanation. Be the best damn doctor you can be. If you have time to sit around and think about this crap you aren't reading enough. Go read a textbook and memorize something. Quit being stupid and making the rest of us look stupid.

Why don't you people quit worrying about screwing around with the name and the title, and the degree and just BE A DO. Everyone knows who the hell you are, if they don't, it takes a 1 minute explanation. Be the best damn doctor you can be. If you have time to sit around and think about this crap you aren't reading enough. Go read a textbook and memorize something. Quit being stupid and making the rest of us look stupid.

:thumbup:

If you're worried about the initials, go to an allopathic school. If you can't get in, find another line of work.

BRAVO!!!! :clap: :clap:

I ask are we becomming

Keep in mind that this is ultimately a TIME WASTER. Focus on how you are going to further yourself in your career. Not this nomenclature B.S. that the NBOME is so infamous for.

:thumbup:

If you're worried about the initials, go to an allopathic school. If you can't get in, find another line of work.

Or go Caribbean, although I highly dont recommend it. Funny enough, some pre-meds are willing to go carribean for the MD rather than a well-known DO school.

I ask are we becomming

:sleep:Yet another thread about changing our designation; how original. I really have difficulty understanding all this focus on what seems to be utter triviality. What gives? Why are some folks so unhappy with being a DO? I guess, more importantly, why did they choose to attend an osteopathic medical school knowing that this is the degree they would get? Nevermind; maybe it's not that important. Put your energy into become a good physician instead of trying to change the initials after your name.

"What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet..."

(Juliet, Romeo and Juliet, Shakespeare)

Or go Caribbean, although I highly dont recommend it. Funny enough, some pre-meds are willing to go carribean for the MD rather than a well-known DO school.

Don't know if its funny. Many people don't believe in OMT (and things like cranial). If they are honest about that at an interview, they won't get into a DO school anyway.

There is plenty of evidence that soft tissue manipulations work for certain things. I don't know anything about cranial, but anyone who claims that they simply don't believe in OMT as a whole has **** for brains.

Whether its really worth taking the time to teach in medical school, I don't know. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

There is plenty of evidence that soft tissue manipulations work for certain things. I don't know anything about cranial, but anyone who claims that they simply don't believe in OMT as a whole has **** for brains.

Whether its really worth taking the time to teach in medical school, I don't know. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Err, I am not disputing OMT, as I am not an expert on it and I have no idea if it works. I am simply pointing out the fact that many people don't believe it works, and think its pretty much like Chiropractics (you know, some of whom believe that it can take the place of vaccines) and that could be a reason why they would rather go to Caribbean MD over DO.

Err, I am not disputing OMT, as I am not an expert on it and I have no idea if it works. I am simply pointing out the fact that many people don't believe it works, and think its pretty much like Chiropractics (you know, some of whom believe that it can take the place of vaccines) and that could be a reason why they would rather go to Caribbean MD over DO.

Because of something you spend 1 week on in the OMT lab?

I wasn't talking about you. I was talking about the people who don't think it works. I cannot imagine anything worse than going to the Caribbean for medical school. The whole thing seems like it would be a nightmare. I supposed I'd do it if I had to, and I'm sure the education would be fine, but the hassle would probably kill me.

what...??? No DO would believe that OMT can take the place of vaccines. The fact that chiropractors often claim their techniques work over "conventional medicine" is because they CANT use conventional medicine (prohibited by law). The fact that DO's can and do prescribe medicine and perform surgery, means that OMT is used in CONJUNCTION with conventional medicine, never used as a total replacement. Your not going to see DO's try to use OMT for anything more than it's use. (ie. musculoskeletal problems).. I have seen OMT done and it's used with contraindications. Meaning it's not even used if the patient is not in the appropriate condition (ie. after Back surgery, Hip surgery, age,...etc)

I have yet to come across any DO who thought OMT was above anything more than it is. I have NEVER met a DO who thought that conventional medicine was second to any "osteopathic" techniques. It's used in conjunction, and the decision for it's use is based on diagnosis, contraindictions, and numerous other factors...etc. I cant see any DO who would put OMT first for all and any illness, especially since 95% of DO medical education is "conventional medicine".

what...??? No DO would believe that OMT can take the place of vaccines. The fact that chiropractors often claim their techniques work over "conventional medicine" is because they CANT use conventional medicine (prohibited by law). The fact that DO's can and do prescribe medicine and perform surgery, means that OMT is used in CONJUNCTION with conventional medicine, never used as a total replacement. Your not going to see DO's try to use OMT for anything more than it's use. (ie. musculoskeletal problems).. I have seen OMT done and it's used with contraindications. Meaning it's not even used if the patient is not in the appropriate condition (ie. after Back surgery, Hip surgery, age,...etc)

I have yet to come across any DO who thought OMT was above anything more than it is. I have NEVER met a DO who thought that conventional medicine was second to any "osteopathic" techniques. It's used in conjunction, and the decision for it's use is based on diagnosis, contraindictions, and numerous other factors...etc. I cant see any DO who would put OMT first for all and any illness, especially since 95% of DO medical education is "conventional medicine".

Google viola frymann

Google viola frymann

A native of England, she is a graduate of the University of London M.B., B.S., the Royal Colleges, M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P., the College of Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeons of Los Angeles, a Fellow of the American Academy of Osteopathy (F.A.A.O.) and charter Fellow of The Cranial Academy. She is also a member of the Faculty of Homeopathy of the Royal London Homeopathic Hospital.
http://www.osteopathiccenter.org/bios.html

I am sure she is very much the minority though. Homeopathy? Where does that fit in?

http://www.osteopathiccenter.org/bios.html

I am sure she is very much the minority though. Homeopathy? Where does that fit in?

She also had her medical license suspended twice. Once in 1991 and once in 1999, both for gross negligence. Both times, some parents brought their child to her for various things and she failed to do even a basic workup on the children. Instead, she did some cranial bull**** that didn't work, and both times the kids ended up in an ER on antibiotics for serious UTIs. Both kids were fine in the end, thanks to doctors who DON'T value OMT over the current standard of care. That was the point I wanted you to see: she DOES (and has) put OMT first, and it has resulted in at least two kids getting sicker.

She also had her medical license suspended twice. Once in 1991 and once in 1999, both for gross negligence. Both times, some parents brought their child to her for various things and she failed to do even a basic workup on the children. Instead, she did some cranial bull**** that didn't work, and both times the kids ended up in an ER on antibiotics for serious UTIs. Both kids were fine in the end, thanks to doctors who DON'T value OMT over the current standard of care. That was the point I wanted you to see: she DOES (and has) put OMT first, and it has resulted in at least two kids getting sicker.

Do you know why/how her license was restored?

Well, im glad to see no one can read in this osteopathic forum. Just more evidence to support the low admissions standards to our osteopathic schools. I believe this thread was meant to be PRO-MDO, as clearly stated in the title and first post. But instead of creating your own thread you all bum rush this one with second grade opposition, destroying its purpose. Well done. No offense to you traditionalist, what world do you live in? Studies show 15% of Americans know what a DO is or that they are a physician. Im in on the heritage and thats why I choose osteopathy, but lets be realistic about our title. It is not identified as physician outside of the osteopathic academias we all reside in. We are limiting this profession by leaving an M for MEDICINE out of title. Do you tell friends and family you are in you osteopathy school or osteopathic Medical school? Are you becoming a doctor of osteopathy or osteopathic Medicine. Will you practice osteopathy one day or osteopathic Medicine.
This discussion has been in the open for over 30 years amongst DOs, its not some random new idea. Its time for change. Now go onward with your negative portrayal of this idea; the thread seems ruined anyway and you all spend to much time posting garbage on here anyway. But do try to improve on your reading skills.......:)

Well, im glad to see no one can read in this osteopathic forum. Just more evidence to support the low admissions standards to our osteopathic schools. I believe this thread was meant to be PRO-MDO, as clearly stated in the title and first post. But instead of creating your own thread you all bum rush this one with second grade opposition, destroying its purpose. Well done. No offense to you traditionalist, what world do you live in? Studies show 15% of Americans know what a DO is or that they are a physician. Im in on the heritage and thats why I choose osteopathy, but lets be realistic about our title. It is not identified as physician outside of the osteopathic academias we all reside in. We are limiting this profession by leaving an M for MEDICINE out of title. Do you tell friends and family you are in you osteopathy school or osteopathic Medical school? Are you becoming a doctor of osteopathy or osteopathic Medicine. Will you practice osteopathy one day or osteopathic Medicine.
This discussion has been in the open for over 30 years amongst DOs, its not some random new idea. Its time for change. Now go onward with your negative portrayal of this idea; the thread seems ruined anyway and you all spend to much time posting garbage on here anyway. But do try to improve on your reading skills.......:)

I see this is your first post. For that and for what it says I say one thing:

Welcome to SDN.

:laugh:

Well, im glad to see no one can read in this osteopathic forum...

:rolleyes:

We are limiting this profession by leaving an M for MEDICINE out of title.

Interesting opinion, but that's pretty much all that it is. You have no evidence to corroborate your hypothesis, except your own conjecture.

:corny:

Do you tell friends and family you are in you osteopathy school or osteopathic Medical school? Are you becoming a doctor of osteopathy or osteopathic Medicine. Will you practice osteopathy one day or osteopathic Medicine.

I am attending medical school, will become a physician one day, and will be practicing medicine. That's all there is to it, in my humble opinion. There's no reason to mince words, or to get lost in symantics.

Now go onward with your negative portrayal of this idea; the thread seems ruined anyway and you all spend to much time posting garbage on here anyway. But do try to improve on your reading skills.......:)

Right. Welcome. Thanks for offering your opinion. :)

DOM is already used for Doctor of Oriental Medicine.

Then reverse it to MOD: Medical Osteopathic Doctor. Or Maybe EMO-MOD: Exceptionally Medically Osteopathyish Medically Oriented Dude (or dudette). Let's get this thing going!!

Status
Not open for further replies.