Osteopathic medicine and primary care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bth7

It's worth it in the end . . .
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am researching into the relationship (past, present and future) of osteopathic medicine and primary care medicine.

I working with the following articles:

If you have any others sources, suggestions or thoughts on this topic, I'm all ears!

bth

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I am researching into the relationship (past, present and future) of osteopathic medicine and primary care medicine.

I working with the following articles:

If you have any others sources, suggestions or thoughts on this topic, I'm all ears!

bth

I think it was primarily a serrendipitous relationship. Most DO's gravitated toward primary care because 1) DO's were in rural areas and that was the need at the time; 2) Specialty training was limited; 3) Holistic attitude and orientation of traditional osteopathy supported the interest.

A very interesting historical period to research would be post-world war II and pre-Hill-Burton Hospital Act.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill-Burton_Act

It was this peroid of time when DO's really "stepped up" out of the background into the lime light. Since they did not go oversees to fight the war, they ended up expanding their practices while their MD colleagues were away.

When the war was over, DO's were very successful in lobbying and getting Hill-Burton $$ for osteopathic hospital construction. What followed was an expansion in internship/residency training for DO's (and specialization).