Osteopathic Medicine or Allopathic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dlacroix

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a take on this?
I'm trying to decide between Nova and Univ of Miami.
Any tips?
Or should I just apply to both and pray that one of them accepts me?

Come on folks, show me love.
I need help.

Members don't see this ad.

I say apply to both, you may not need to choose. If you do get accepted to both, then I think the most important issue is how the school, its atmospere and its philosophy fits with your own. Don't choose because you like the looks of M.D. better than D.O. after your name (or the opposite of course).

I knew the school I wanted before I applied, (I applied to two others just in case) but I knew it was right for me, and apparently they thought I was right for their school.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice.
If you don't mind my asking, what year are you in? And do you have any words of wisdom that you'd care to share with an undergrad?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was a high school teacher for 5 years before I decided that I wanted to dedicate my life to medicine. I am only just beginning, so I can give you my thoughts/discoveries on the whole application process, but I don't officially start until this coming August.

I would be happy to comment on my experience during the application process/secondaries/interivews/deciding, but I am still on this side of the threshold for med school itself.

If you have specific questions about my particular experience, I would be happy to answer them for you.

Take care.

I had to go back and repair a few doosie spelling errors...

[This message has been edited by Peregrin (edited 11-14-2000).]

I humbly recommend applying to both. If you gain admission to both, then ask yourself what you see yourself doing in medicine. If you think you want to specialize in a competitive field, then I recommend the M.D. Don't get me wrong, an osteopathic education will more than prepare you for any field and your degree will both, be respected and open the doors wide open to anything. But, nevertheless, the M.D. is absolutely undisputed. There are still a small but real bunch out threthat either do not know what D.O.s are or who consider them second tier. Whether right or not ( which they are not), never theless it is true. However, if you find the osteopathic philosophy of medical practice, including OMT appealing, then go for it. But, make an informed decision, and an honest one. Don't apologize for wanting the M.D. if that is what you really want; there is nothing wrong with it. Everyone is entitled to their own desires. IF your goal is primary care, then osteopathic medical training will probably give you a better foundation. However, the differences are so blurred, especially during the clinical years and then later in practice that, unless you use OMT both are the same. However, OMT is an invaluable tool for a primary care physican. Go to the best school you can, and the one where you think you'll be the happiest. Size them up during you interview. In the long run, if you are good, you are good, regardless of your degree. The MD will give you more recognition right off the bat, the DO will give you an extra tool, especially in primary care. And in clinical practice, it probably wont matter one way or the other. Your patients will call you Doctor, either way.