osteopathic medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HUMA KAUSAR

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just wanted to know what kind of discrimination if any that osteopathic medical graduates might face as opposed to allopathic graduates. Also, are osteopathic physicians limited of any kind of employment opporunities of any kind.

A response from someone with a big exposure in thewo distinct types of medicine is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Woohooo! I was dying for another MD/DO flame war! :D

To answer the question, there is very little discrimination and you won't be limited in as far as opportunities. You may hear different on here, but it's nonsense. Plus asking pre-meds or even medical students for that matter if there is any discrimination against DO's probably won't get you the most accurate answer. We've only heard from real world DO's. Your best bet is to go to the source and ask MD's and DO's about what they think on the subject. Then make an informed decision based on what they tell you, not what we tell you.

Anyway, welcome to SDN, and good luck with your decision.

My prediction: by the time we get to page two, the thread will turn nasty.

My experience (on SDN, in the classroom, and on the wards) has been that premeds and preclinical MD students think less of DO and DO students.

During the clinical years of med school, the allopathic students start to lose the discriminatory attitude.

When you reach residency, people really only care about what kind of doctor you are, not what kind of degree you have.

But I agree with Fenrezz...talk to MD's and DO's. Talk to residency program faculty at allopathic and osteopathic programs. They will be able to give you the best idea.

EDIT: To clarify, by "what kind of doctor," I mean how well you do what you do, the decisions you make, how competent you are, etc...not what specialty you are.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, there is no difference in being a DO or MD. They both learn the same thing, just DOs have to learn osteopathic manipulation. Some people think it's a little bit harder to specialize from DO, but this is opinion. From what I've seen it's really not that much harder.

I agree with Fenrezz...by page two this thread should be a nice one.

Page 2 - HA :laugh:

Begin "Operation MD ego check"

YES, there are lots of discrimination

for example

in hospitals - all DOs are given scut works. In fact, the allopathic medical students and residents assign all the scut work for the DO attendings

during trauma cases, the task of checking rectal tones and potential blood in the stool goes to the DOs

HMOs pay DO less than their MD counterpart because HMOs really care about average undergrad GPA/MCAT scores of their specific medical schools

during grand rounds - DOs are forbidden to participate because we all know that their medical schools have lower gpa/mcat scores than their allopathic counterpart

all DOs are quacks who prefer chelation therapy and voodoo art. MDs have never produced any quacks or questionable procedures

as a DO, the neighborhood pharmacist will laugh at all prescriptions that you write because you have lower than normal intelligence (indicative of lower gpa/mcat scores), DOs can't write, and have trouble reading (that's why DOs tend to work in groups)

as a DO, you'll have to face countless premeds who will tell you the types of discrimination that you face every single day

you will not get the immediate "awe and respect" from your neighbors when you place that "John Doe, DO" sign on your mailbox (in font size 72) as oppose to "John Doe, MD"

as a DO, you're limited to patients that the MDs reject

as a DO, you're not allow to wear the white labcoat because only true doctors (MDs) are allow to weat the white labcoat - yours will be slighty gray to indicate your lower than average GPA and MCAT scores

as a DO during night calls, no one will ever page you because no one will ever trust a DO to handle emergencies

So you see, DOs face a lot of discriminations. I suggest that we organize a witch hunt, and randomly point fingers at people and accuse them of being "osteopaths". In fact, I'm starting to see little birds - the osteopaths are making me see little birdie - someone stop them. Let's tar and feather those osteopaths.

... for me to poop on.

Originally posted by Fenrezz
...Plus asking pre-meds or even medical students for that matter if there is any discrimination against DO's probably won't get you the most accurate answer.

HUMA KAUSAR,

we haven't had one of these in a while. oh well :rolleyes: .i totally agree with fenrezz though. i actually work for a DO neurologist in private practice and have a good family friend that's a DO emergency med doc at a level I trauma center. both are great docs and are treated equal to MDs in the clinical setting by staff (including fellow MDs). however, location and cheap tutition at my state school has thrown me on track for the MD route instead of DO.

the reason i quoted only Fenrezz's one sentence is because he is absolutely correct. don't listen to anyone here on this thread about their opinions regarding DOs...even me. you need to go and meet some DOs for yourself and see them in action. then you can decide if there's any difference.

get ready though, because the trolls are probably going to start chiming in in a few hours when they wake from under their bridges. so get ready for the flame war and i'm sure it will get ugly. :rolleyes:

When I see this kind of talk, it makes my blood boil. What a load! If you want to believe this third-rate analysis, go ahead, you might as well clap your hands for Tinkerbell. It's only a flame war when both sides have an arguable point, and as far as I can tell, it is reason versus fairy tales here.

So, to set the record straight:

True, HIPPA was designed to augment the "portability" of medical records across platforms, as well as address the concerns that increased access to said records would degrade the confidentiality of the medical interaction. Forces within the insurance industry, as well as academia... hey wait a minute.

Wrong thread. Sorry.

group_theory,

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Careful someone might believe this!:D

Originally posted by Fenrezz
there is very little discrimination and you won't be limited in as far as opportunities. You may hear different on here, but it's nonsense. Plus asking pre-meds or even medical students for that matter if there is any discrimination against DO's probably won't get you the most accurate answer. We've only heard from real world DO's. Your best bet is to go to the source and ask MD's and DO's about what they think on the subject. Then make an informed decision based on what they tell you, not what we tell you.
Yes I agree you should do as Fenrezz states and go directly to the source and ask DO's if there is any discrimination. So take things w/a grain of salt when a DO student says there is "little discrimination and you won't be limited in as far as opportunities. You may hear different on here, but it's nonsense." Check out this thread http://www.studentdoctor.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=61585

CaliGirlDO states:

"For those of you who are planning to apply to anesthesia next year and are interested in the west coast programs for more than just the weather/location....here is my take on the CA programs as it applies to DO's (since I have found it very difficult to find objective data about this):

They are basically split into your big name programs and the strong programs. Namely, UCSF, Stanford, and UCLA are "big name" and tend to only interview extremely competitive candidates with the whole package. They are also pretty DO unfriendly, meaning you can try to apply, but they will rank you lower just for being a DO regardless of your scores. I don't know any DO's who got an interview at UCSD. UC Irvine sometimes interviews DO's, I don't know many that have been accepted, unless you are a very strong candidate. Harbor-UCLA is also know to be pretty DO-unfriendly."

Yes, you need to go directly to the source, both MD and DO. I asked a local doc in California who has a MD/PhD from Stanford on any discriminatory issues with DO vs MD. He said he saw no discrimination out in the practice, but realistically you won't see a DO in a Stanford program, but that you also won't see anyone from any smaller name medical school at Stanford- meaning they are going to pick all the Yales and Harvards first.
And in response to the previous post, perhaps there is some discrimination on the west coast, but then how do you explain the fact that a graduate from my school UHS-COM is on the residency panel for the neonatal dept at UCLA. Another recent UHS grad landed an anesthesiology residency at Harvard. I think the discrimination is going by the wayside and it really amounts to board scores and performance.