Osteopathic Ophthalmology Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phelanpi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone i just wanted to start this thread to see if there was anyone else on here that matched into a D.O Ophtho spot. I matched at OU-COM Doctors Hospital. Hope everyone had a successful AOA match Day.

Members don't see this ad.

Let me ask an important question: How Do?
But yes, why do you think you managed to get into one of the 30 optho positions? Publications? Auditions? Comlex? Not to derail the thread, I'm just interested as optho is one of the areas I'm interested in.

But yes, why do you think you managed to get into one of the 30 optho positions? Publications? Auditions? Comlex? Not to derail the thread, I'm just interested as optho is one of the areas I'm interested in.

30? I don't think there are that many.

Congrats on landing a spot Phelanpi, that must be a big relief.

Members don't see this ad :)

I recently spoke to someone who matched AOA ENT. Most important thing is the audition rotation. If they like your character, you get along with the dept you're basically in. He had a sub 600 comlex, decent grades, no research.

why do you think you managed to get into one of the 30 optho positions? Publications? Auditions? Comlex? Not to derail the thread, I'm just interested as optho is one of the areas I'm interested in.

So for this match season there were 11 D.O Ophtho spots eligible on ERAS (rumors are that the Florida program took people outside the match), next year hopefully there will be more, when it comes to osteopahic ophtho spots they are looking for more of the entire package relative to MD spots. Your COMLEX scores matter, but not as much as you would think. You need to do something to separate you from the rest of the applicant field (volunteer, publication, research) and an audition rotation is an absolute MUST. The best piece of advice i have ever received..........."don't be a tool", the residents have to work with you for the next 4 years so they are watching how you interact with office staff, fellow students, other residents, and lastly the patient. Also, I wrote my personal statement over a 2 month period with countless drafts, for D.O you only have 1 shot to impress so you have to grab them right off the bat. Hope this helped.

So for this match season there were 11 D.O Ophtho spots eligible on ERAS (rumors are that the Florida program took people outside the match), next year hopefully there will be more, when it comes to osteopahic ophtho spots they are looking for more of the entire package relative to MD spots. Your COMLEX scores matter, but not as much as you would think. You need to do something to separate you from the rest of the applicant field (volunteer, publication, research) and an audition rotation is an absolute MUST. The best piece of advice i have ever received..........."don't be a tool", the residents have to work with you for the next 4 years so they are watching how you interact with office staff, fellow students, other residents, and lastly the patient. Also, I wrote my personal statement over a 2 month period with countless drafts, for D.O you only have 1 shot to impress so you have to grab them right off the bat. Hope this helped.

Congrats on getting into an ophtho program! This is sound advice.

You suggested doing something to stand out from the rest of the crowd. May I ask what you did to do this?

You suggested doing something to stand out from the rest of the crowd. May I ask what you did to do this?

I was in the right spot at the right time, I went to morning lectures at an esteemed Ophthalmology institution near my school. I asked every attending if they had research/volunteer experience that i could be part of, i did this for 2 weeks straight until i was given the opportunity to apply for a spot as one of their CME-question writers, and was accepted. Everyone has to make their own way. The programs want proof of interest, dedication, and drive, that's what research/volunteer work provide. Hope this helped.

Hey Guys, I am one of the three to match in Miami. To clear any "rumors" up, they did not take people outside of the match. They interviewed about 16 of us the first week of January. The Miami program was my first choice. I am excited to work with the other two great candidates that landed spots at the Miami program. Congrats to everyone that matched into a program this year. It was a tough year for ophtho due to the declining number of spots.

Congrats Ophthogirl08 , i started this thread to see if i could get all the new ophtho residents in a single thread so that we can kind of have an open forum to discuss residency/ophthalmology related questions.

Hey Guys, I am one of the three to match in Miami. To clear any "rumors" up, they did not take people outside of the match. They interviewed about 16 of us the first week of January. The Miami program was my first choice. I am excited to work with the other two great candidates that landed spots at the Miami program. Congrats to everyone that matched into a program this year. It was a tough year for ophtho due to the declining number of spots.
Congrats! Do you happen to be a nsu student? Do you think being an nsu student improves your chances of getting into the Miami program? Any additional advice you could give on getting an optho spot and what kind of board scores we should have to have a realistic chance. Thanks!

Thanks heroes31! I don't necessarily think that being an NSU student really factored into me getting that spot and the other two candidates that got the other spots were non-NSU students. I think what really helped me get the spot was spending a few days with the program director this way he was able to get to know me. In the DO world that is huge. Getting your face seen at a lot of programs is what really helps. Also my application was heavy in ophtho experience. Ive been shadowing ophthalmologist since high school. My research was minimal, I had one organic chemistry poster and one poster ( non-ophtho related) in med school. Board scores are important but in the DO world they see past that.

Thanks heroes31! I don't necessarily think that being an NSU student really factored into me getting that spot and the other two candidates that got the other spots were non-NSU students. I think what really helped me get the spot was spending a few days with the program director this way he was able to get to know me. In the DO world that is huge. Getting your face seen at a lot of programs is what really helps. Also my application was heavy in ophtho experience. Ive been shadowing ophthalmologist since high school. My research was minimal, I had one organic chemistry poster and one poster ( non-ophtho related) in med school. Board scores are important but in the DO world they see past that.
Thanks for the advice! Best of luck!

If you do a D.O. ophthalmology residency can you do an ophthalmology fellowship? Are there D.O. ophthalmology fellowships? How does that work? Are D.O.s limited after they complete the osteopathic residency? Obviously I'm jumping way ahead of myself but just trying to get an idea about different fields. :)

Congratz to both of you that matched into optho! I'm sure you worked extremely hard and must be relieved to get a spot when there's so few!

If you do a D.O. ophthalmology residency can you do an ophthalmology fellowship? Are there D.O. ophthalmology fellowships? How does that work? Are D.O.s limited after they complete the osteopathic residency? Obviously I'm jumping way ahead of myself but just trying to get an idea about different fields. :)

as far as i know there are no restrictions to osteopathic ophthalmology resident completing alleopathic fellowships (glaucoma, occuloplastics, retina/vitreous, medical retina, cornea, uveitis, neuro-ophtho, pediatric ophtho) , after residency D.O are on equal ground as MD's

There is now, or soon will be restrictions. See the latest ACGME changes.

There are not any restrictions at present. The changes are hanging in limbo at the ACGME. AOA trained residents can still do ACGME fellowships, but it's a little unnerving to think about them revoking that privilege in the future...because it could happen.

Last edited: