Osteopathic Orthopedics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrChandy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in orthopedics and was wondering if I'll have a better chance of matching into orthopedics in an AOA program as a DO or in an ACGME program as an MD. (For simplicity's sake, I am not including the possibility of applying to ACGME programs as a DO). I know there are more allopathic ortho programs than osteopathic programs, but I am assuming that a higher percentage of MD students apply to these allopathic ortho programs than do DO's to osteopathic ortho programs.

And so I guess what I am wondering is the following: is the ratio of applicants to available ortho positions for DO's and MD's for their respective programs different? Given that a high percentage of DO's end up in primary care, would this not help raise the odds of matching into an AOA ortho program as a DO if one has the 'right stuff' (ie grades, board scores, and research experience)?

Members don't see this ad.

DrChandy said:
I am interested in orthopedics and was wondering if I'll have a better chance of matching into orthopedics in an AOA program as a DO or in an ACGME program as an MD. (For simplicity's sake, I am not including the possibility of applying to ACGME programs as a DO). I know there are more allopathic ortho programs than osteopathic programs, but I am assuming that a higher percentage of MD students apply to these allopathic ortho programs than do DO's to osteopathic ortho programs.

And so I guess what I am wondering is the following: is the ratio of applicants to available ortho positions for DO's and MD's for their respective programs different? Given that a high percentage of DO's end up in primary care, would this not help raise the odds of matching into an AOA ortho program as a DO if one has the 'right stuff' (ie grades, board scores, and research experience)?

Try looking at the ortho forum. There's even a sticky on osteopathic ortho programs.

I don't think anyone can predict this for you. Ortho is quite competitive whether you're going the DO or MD route (and their respective residencies).

I know a decent # of osteo students wanting/planning on going into ortho, so I don't think I'd automatically count it as less competitive on the DO front. I don't the ratio of applicants to available positions on either front, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone on another forum dollared it out, and I believe they came up with approximately 1:28 and 1:30 AOA vs ACGME. Dr. Mom is absolutely correct in saying that ortho is very competitive. There is no one who works as much or as hard as someone gunning for ortho in the third year. And you really need to start out gunning.

electra said:
Someone on another forum dollared it out, and I believe they came up with approximately 1:28 and 1:30 AOA vs ACGME. Dr. Mom is absolutely correct in saying that ortho is very competitive. There is no one who works as much or as hard as someone gunning for ortho in the third year. And you really need to start out gunning.

Awesome. Thanks for the stats!