Osteopathic Pathologists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

mojo

Are there D.O. Pathologists? How do you land a residency in that? What would you have to score on the boards, would it help taking some phd classes in it to show interest?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Tony Clifton:
•Are there D.O. Pathologists? How do you land a residency in that? What would you have to score on the boards, would it help taking some phd classes in it to show interest?•

Currently there are no DO residencies in pathology but there are several DO pathologists. MD pathology residencies are one of the easiest if not the easiest specailty to match into. As for the boards, just pass. You don't really need to do anything else extra. However I do think the number of US grads applying to path went up this year, but I think it was still an easy year to match.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Pikevillemedstudent:
•Currently there are no DO residencies in pathology but there are several DO pathologists. MD pathology residencies are one of the easiest if not the easiest specailty to match into. As for the boards, just pass. You don't really need to do anything else extra. However I do think the number of US grads applying to path went up this year, but I think it was still an easy year to match.•

So, despite there being no Osteopathic residencies in pathology, it would still be one of the easiest allopathic residencies to match into? Thanks Drusso for the site.

Yes there are D.O. pathologists out there!! Example: Capt Glen Wagner, the director of the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology. He is a Medical Examiner. Pathology is very interesting and relatively easy to match in. If you are pretty sure that this is the specialty you want, I recommend to take an HPSP scholarship with the military. Very good deal for that specialty!

Ed Adickes, DO, is a pathologist at creighton university and on the pathology faculty there. I also know that two of our (DMU) grads this year matched to their (Creighton's) Pathology residency. From the people that I talked to in path, it is pretty easy to get into... at the moment anyways.

Originally posted by Hippocrates:
•Yes there are D.O. pathologists out there!! Example: Capt Glen Wagner, the director of the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology. He is a Medical Examiner. Pathology is very interesting and relatively easy to match in. If you are pretty sure that this is the specialty you want, I recommend to take an HPSP scholarship with the military. Very good deal for that specialty!•

That's what I'm thinking of doing: HPSP. It's great to see that there are good opportunities in this field.

Would it be good to major in microbiology to get the residency later on, or just for learning's sake? Do they need good science backgrounds?

The HPSP scolarship does not allow you to specialize in pathology. Only IM, Ped, OB/GYN, FP and I think EM. I am interested in pathology and that is why I did not aplly for the HPSP. check there web site ofr more info.

Pecan, is this something new with the HPSP? I know of several AirForce pathologist who went through this scholarship. I hope one can still choose pathology under HPSP. It is a very good deal for pathology! You get to see alot of interesting things and use the latest technology!

I think pecan has the HPSP and the NHSC scholarships mixed up....

As far as I know, you can be absolutely anything you want to be if you choose the HPSP. I applied this year for the HPSP and that is what they told me. The NHSC, on the other hand, limits you in Primary Care.... I applied for the NHSC as well.

So I'm not sure where Pecan got his information.... :cool:.... where did you get the info, pecan? or did you just accidently mixed HPSP with NHSC?

There are several pathologist D.O's out there. Our own Dr. Cyrus Parsa at Western University is a D.O. and head of the Pathology Department.

Do you need to have taken General Physics in college to get a pathology residency? For pathology phd programs, General physics is required. Do they care about your undergraduate coursework at all?
bounce.gif

AT DMU Class of 2001, I have a good friend who interviewed everywhere he wanted for Path. Big places like Mayo, Univ Ariz, several California schools, and most of the big midwest U's (Neb, Missouri,Kansas) and matched at number one choice. All you need to do is be interested and you'll match, but make sure you do a path month someplace you like to make sure path is your thing. This is a specialty where the quality of your training is probably more important than many others. They teach you all you need to know when you get there. No prereq's needed.

Originally posted by theanswer:
•AT DMU Class of 2001, I have a good friend who interviewed everywhere he wanted for Path. Big places like Mayo, Univ Ariz, several California schools, and most of the big midwest U's (Neb, Missouri,Kansas) and matched at number one choice. All you need to do is be interested and you'll match, but make sure you do a path month someplace you like to make sure path is your thing. This is a specialty where the quality of your training is probably more important than many others. They teach you all you need to know when you get there. No prereq's needed.•

Wow, thanks for the info. And, welcome to SDN.

I was talking with my doc and he said that pathology is not such a great field to pursue because it's a 5-year residency and, when you come out of it, you're not insured a job anywhere. Most hospitals only have one pathologist, they're not in high demand. And he said that the jobs just aren't there because it has reached its saturation point, however, there are guys who do retire. He said that the learning could be great, but in reality, I'd be wasting a lot of time in my life.
pukey.gif

Originally posted by Tony Clifton+:
•Do you need to have taken General Physics in college to get a pathology residency? For pathology phd programs, General physics is required. Do they care about your undergraduate coursework at all?
bounce.gif

Did you get into a medical program that does not require General Physics and its respective lab?????? Just fulfilling the core pre-med requirements should take care of the physics required to get into any residency program you desire.

I read it on some prior post about the scholarship, spoke with the recruiter, and read it on the HPSP website. They are pro primary care. I will double check!! They were also talking about the years in service being 6 and more if the service supports you through residency. I will post it once I check the web site again. I remember reading that if you do not go into the specific area you will have to repay three time the amount plus intrest. I am really think about going into pathology, and currently volunteer at the county morgue. I may change my mind, but if I do i do not want to pay the USA govt' back!!