osteopaths on HBO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sandj9397

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sure everyone remembers the episode of the Sopranos that sparked some anger. A couple of days ago on another show on HBO called Curb your Enthusiam was on( I'm not sure if its old or not, the main character was attending a support group for those molested as children. Anyway, the point is he was molested by his uncle who is an osteopath. The show is a comedy but I was wondering if this was already discussed or is this HBO's response to the protest of the Soprano episode.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by sandj9397:
•I am sure everyone remembers the episode of the Sopranos that sparked some anger. A couple of days ago on another show on HBO called Curb your Enthusiam was on( I'm not sure if its old or not, the main character was attending a support group for those molested as children. Anyway, the point is he was molested by his uncle who is an osteopath. The show is a comedy but I was wondering if this was already discussed or is this HBO's response to the protest of the Soprano episode.•

Some response... :rolleyes:

I don't watch Sopranos but that doesn't sound good :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't watch the episode, but I just wanted to remind you guys that what someone does as a career is completely different then what someone behaves at home. Within the allopathic ranks we have our share of child abusers and equally sick people, people should not assume that just because someone is a physician they are respectable people at home or in the office. Now whether or not HBO is "picking" on osteopaths, I don't know, but I didn't even understand the outcry with the mention of osteopathic schools in the episode of sopranos. The character didn't say anything was bad about osteopathic schools, he was only talking about his chances for admittance into medical school in general. It is a fact that some people, not everyone, but some people only look into osteopathic schools because their grades may not be acceptable at most allopathic schools. He didn't even say that he was "good enough" for osteopathic schools either, only that his grades were not so good so he was looking into them, but that he actually didn't even think that his grades were good enough for osteopathic schools either. Just my 2 cents...

I saw both of those shows. The Larry David show Curb Your Enthusiasm wasn't really offensive. It was pretty funny. Don't forget the context it was in. it actually gave some publicity to our future profession.
On the other hand, the Sopranos comment didn't shed the brightest light on the profession. The AOA took note of it and along with individual DO's sent a letter to HBO. HBO responded and basically apologized
for any negative tone it may have conveyed.

This shows the uniques position we're in as DO students and why it is so important to support the AOA's marketing campaign. We need to put out positive information about our profession to make a good, (virtually, first)impression.
Dan
NSUCOM 2005

There's great positive Osteopathic Exposure in Stanley Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut.

At the dance, when Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman arrive, they are greeted by the host who complements Tom Cruise (an M.D.) about his referral to an "osteopath" who finally gave him relief from his shoulder pain.

So I guess the late Stanley Kubrick was informed about the merits of osteopathic medicine.

And if you have not seen the movie, Nicole Kidman is excellent

:)