OSU-COM class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Great party last night, huh? :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :D

if there was any of you OSU-COM med students today at OSU health care clinic thanks it was a nice time, i wish i would have asked if you guys go on SDN, thanks and let me know your nick on here!

Members don't see this ad :)
You would have met some of my classmates, then :thumbup: Off the top of my head, I don't think any SDNers are at the clinic this month, although a few of us are at the hospital. :)

DrMom said:
You would have met some of my classmates, then :thumbup: Off the top of my head, I don't think any SDNers are at the clinic this month, although a few of us are at the hospital. :)

2nd core :thumbup:

--your friendly neighborhood holiday working caveman

Homunculus said:
2nd core :thumbup:

--your friendly neighborhood holiday working caveman

2nd core is the way to go. :thumbup:

--your friendly neighborhood got 4 days off for Christmas wolf

it was kristopher, philip, and some other guys i can't remember their names all extremely nice and helpful. I really didnt expect the medical students to do that much on rotations but it seemd like they were full docs other than having to talk to the attendings and residents about what they saw.

Philip is one of my good friends & my best med school friend is also over there this month. Kris is a good guy, too, as are all of the other folks I know of over there this month.

I'm glad you had a good experience. :D

Abe said:
philip was definitely the nicest guy up there, he really likes dentistry =p.

i always thought of myself as a pseudodentist on my ER blocks. you *know* someone is really in pain (or they really really really need their lortab) when they're willing to let a medstudent do a nerve block in their mouth :scared:

--your friendly neighborhood bupivicaine using caveman

Members don't see this ad :)
good luck on this semester and also with rotations....... all OSUCOM'rs

Everybody ready for this?!?!?! :scared: :scared: :scared:

:D

DrMom said:
Doesn't really matter at this point. It's all coming at you starting tomorrow :laugh:

I had intended it as a rhetorical question, but that is a good point! :laugh:

DrMom said:
Well, I just meant it to be mean :smuggrin:

;)

I didn't think you were capable of such depravity! :D

Hernandez said:
well with less than 100 posts, you obviously don't spend enough time on SDN to know what she's capable of :D

Don't let my small number of posts fool you; I prefer to lurk in the shadows and only show myself when I am ready to strike! .......or maybe I just don't have anything interesting to say most of the time..... :(

:D :D :D :D :D

DrMom said:
never stopped me ;)

Actually, it usually doesn't stop me, either. Just ask my classmates! :oops:

Can someone please tell me about the rotations offered at OSUCOM? I can't remember if you stay in OK both 3rd and 4th yr. Also, how are the affiliated rotations sites?

The required rotations are all in OK. You can do electives wherever you arrange. If you want to do local ones, the clinical education office has a list of physicians that take students.

You're going to have to be more specific than "how are the affiliated rotation sites." What kind of info are you wanting?

I'm wondering if the rotations are done in larger teaching type hospitals or smaller settings?

petstoreboy said:
I'm wondering if the rotations are done in larger teaching type hospitals or smaller settings?

OSU res/internships

OSU-COM is associated with 2 hospitals which we use for core rotations, TRMC which is in Tulsa and St. Anthony which is in OKC. the Core rotations (4 rotations) are done at 1 of these 2 spots. The remaining required rotations are in affiliated clinics, i.e. the OSU clinic which is down the street or in various smaller clinics around the city in which you're doing the core. The rural community rotations are done in other cities (durant, bartsville, Owaso, etc) for 2 months. And the rest of the required rotations are in other parts of the surrounding area, but the majority (if you have the TRMC core) are very near to tulsa, or close to OKC if you have the St. Anthony core.

Hope that makes sense

petstoreboy said:

The "core" months (2 months of internal med, 1 month each of ob/gyn & surgery) are done at TRMC or a hosp in OKC (can't remember which one since I opted fot Tulsa). We do a 2 month rotation at a smaller "community" hosptital. The other rotations vary as to the type of setting, although we get a variety of hospital and office settings & do a 1 month rural FM rotation.

Is anyone going to the Lake Tahoe/Reno Conference?

It is Weds or Thurs-Sunday during our Spring Break, so you still have the first half of the week to visit family or whatever.

I wasn't going to go because of money, but I talked to the president of UAAO, and she said that airfare, hotel, conference fees, and even some meals are all going to be paid for. All you have to pay for is some meals, and the optional skiing.

She also said that she would take care of all of it and would assign us to share rooms with each other.

The application is due on Monday.

I was just curious if there were any other MS-I's going.....

Later....

OSUdoc08 said:
Is anyone going to the Lake Tahoe/Reno Conference?

just for clarification, the UAAO will not know how much will be paid for until we hear back from our grant's. Last year we did have everything but the skiing and food that wasn't provided by the conference paid for. So while it's likely we are not saying that everything will be paid for and we won't know for a few weeks at minimum and the deadline has been pushed back to (I believe) Monday.

If you enjoy the manipulation and would like to learn some new stuff and/or meet fellow students from other schools you should go. Last year we had a blast, except for the ride home, but that's another story. You can afford to go even if something happens and none of the money comes through and you have to pay for everything, you'll just have to budget your money. and keep in mind, minus the flights, it is cheaper the more people that go.

So, for what it's worth

So what should us MS1's expect for exams this semester? We've got Neurophys I coming up next week...any thoughts on Finn's test? What about immunology?

Thanks!

DrCoreyOSU said:
So what should us MS1's expect for exams this semester? We've got Neurophys I coming up next week...any thoughts on Finn's test? What about immunology?

Thanks!

is it Kall teaching Immuno? if so, just stick to her notes, you may not be able to understand much of what she says, but her questions were straight forward last year and all in her notes.

just prepare for lots and lots of prison sex jokes this semester, it is the hardest thing you will ever do. You better have already started studying for neuro, phys and micro............

Hernandez said:
just prepare for lots and lots of prison sex jokes this semester, it is the hardest thing you will ever do. You better have already started studying for neuro, phys and micro............

Agreed. The exam schedule is brutal. The good part is that it gets much better after this semester. :)

this is a walk in the park,
granted central park, at night, alone, and HIGHLY windy but a walk in the park

;)

DrDad

I just had a few questions for you guys at OSU I hope you can answer. Right now I am trying to decide between OSU and Nova, and am leaning towards OSU at the moment. I was wondering first of all, what the general happiness level of students there and do you wish you would have gone somewhere else? If I want to specialize in say, dermatology, would I be better off at a school that doesn't focus so much on primary care/rural medicine? Is there a good student/administration relationship? Does the smaller class size make a difference when it comes time for help getting rotations set up? Are there any plans in near future for student activity center or gym(campus seemed small and without much in the way of amenities)? How is living in Tulsa, ie weather, activities etc.? I didn't really get to see much of the city because of an ice storm that caused a lot of low clouds and made me weary of doing a lot of driving. I'm from CA, so tuition is not a factor. Any thoughts on your experience would be appreciated. Sorry to invade the 2008 thread to ask.

MagnumDR said:
I just had a few questions for you guys at OSU I hope you can answer. Right now I am trying to decide between OSU and Nova, and am leaning towards OSU at the moment. I was wondering first of all, what the general happiness level of students there and do you wish you would have gone somewhere else?

I can't speak for everyone, but I really can't think of anyone that regrets choosing OSU-COM, it really is a good school and I've enjoyed my year and half here immensely.

MagnumDR said:
If I want to specialize in say, dermatology, would I be better off at a school that doesn't focus so much on primary care/rural medicine?

medicine is medicine, and truthfully I don't see how the first two years affect you specialty choices other than having an impact on your board scores and at the moment OSU-COM leads the osteopathic schools in that.

MagnumDR said:
Is there a good student/administration relationship?

with few exceptions, yes, and I can't think of any of those exceptions off hand

MagnumDR said:
Does the smaller class size make a difference when it comes time for help getting rotations set up?

rotations are set up through TRMC & St. Anthony in tulsa, and from what I've heard about other schools, the process is must less painful, we even had a guy in charge of that who seems to take care of us, I'll know more in 5 months when I actually start. I'm sure Dr. Mom will be along before long to give a more deffinitive answer since she's in her rotations.

MagnumDR said:
Are there any plans in near future for student activity center or gym(campus seemed small and without much in the way of amenities)?

there has been attempts to get an on campus gym, but I don't think it's going to happen within the foreseeable future, we do have access to the OSU-tulsa facilities which are ~3-4 miles north of the OSU-CHS campus.

MagnumDR said:
How is living in Tulsa, ie weather, activities etc.?

whoever designed tulsa was a generous, the streets are laid out in a nice grid pattern, the street naming follows a pattern, there are plenty of activates that you can get into, but for more info you need to get specific about what you're looking for.

and the weather, well, it's Oklahoma, so you can't predict the weather

MagnumDR said:
I didn't really get to see much of the city because of an ice storm that caused a lot of low clouds and made me weary of doing a lot of driving. I'm from CA, so tuition is not a factor. Any thoughts on your experience would be appreciated. Sorry to invade the 2008 thread to ask.

don't worry about invading the '08 thread, it could use some livening up, what else do you want to know?

In response to your question about landing a posh residency spot, OSU has some of the highest board scores in the country, with a 100% pass rate on the boards last year. That really says something about the quality of education, and that fact, if nothing else, will help you land a nice residency. As for the concentration on family/rural medicine...I know of one person in my class that wants to to FP, and while there might be more, I think the majority of '08ers want to specialize in other fields. As for the other questions, there's a great student-admin relationship, the small class size is really nice, OSU-Tulsa has a nice gym/rec center that is available to OSUCOM students, and as for Tulsa, you can't find a city that has a nicer combination of culture and down-home friendliness. The Med school is in a...more interesting part of town, but the rest of T-town is great. Finally, as for the weather, as Will Rogers once said, "if you don't like the weather in OK, give it a moment, it'll change."

Just my thoughts, hope they help

Looks like most everything was covered well, but I'll add a tiny bit to the rotations info. All of your required rotations are set up for you. There is a clinical education office that has information that you can use to help you set up your electives (ie: evaluations from previous students that rotated with the docs and pretty extensive lists of physicians in various specialties & their contact info) or you can set them up on your own (which is what I have done so far). They've made the process relatively painless (although, anywhere will have some bumps in the road on scheduling...I've not run into anyone having any significant issues). You can do local or out-of-state (or even international) rotations for electives as long as you have a physician agreeing to supervise you for the month.

Because the school's mission is primary care, you will end up doing approx 5 months of required family medicine rotations, but the settings are different for most of them (urban, school clinic, semi-rural, rural, community hospital) so it's not exactly the same scenario each time. Also, you will have to spend 1-3 months in a rural setting (not a commutable distance from Tulsa). Housing is arranged for you for almost all of these rotations.

Hope that helps you out some. I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have. :)

Anyone else just not really motivated to study NeuroAnatomy right now.....?

BTW, we have six weeks left after Spring break......!!!!

YEAHHHHH!

hey all,

A quick question for the MS 1'ers, or anyone for that matter. What does your typical day of school consist of for the most part? By that, I mean, do you go to classes all day everyday? Are you able to skip some classes and read the material to catch up? Do you go to classes at 8 am and leave classes at 5 pm? Just curious. Thanks!

Krazed_Medic said:
hey all,

A quick question for the MS 1'ers, or anyone for that matter. What does your typical day of school consist of for the most part? By that, I mean, do you go to classes all day everyday? Are you able to skip some classes and read the material to catch up? Do you go to classes at 8 am and leave classes at 5 pm? Just curious. Thanks!

http://centernet.okstate.edu/calendars/ms1-courses.html

go to the above to see what we are doing this semester, further to answer your question, We are able to skip some classes, Others, it would BE BEYOND DUMB to skip.... They vary....

If you have a specific question feel free to email or PM

lata

DrDad

BTW, There is no such thing as "catching up" if you do fall behind..... least that is the way I see it, just not enough hours in the day

DrDad said:
http://centernet.okstate.edu/calendars/ms1-courses.html

go to the above to see what we are doing this semester, further to answer your question, We are able to skip some classes, Others, it would BE BEYOND DUMB to skip.... They vary....

If you have a specific question feel free to email or PM

lata

DrDad

Which class is this? Other than Histo of course.

OSUdoc08 said:
Which class is this? Other than Histo of course.

more of a statement toward specific lectures this semester than last, that is sure.... Last semester it was Histo as u said...

DrDad said:
more of a statement toward specific lectures this semester than last, that is sure.... Last semester it was Histo as u said...

Yeah but like which lectures?

I've really not seen anything on the tests not already written in the notes this semester.