~~~ OSU-COM Class of 2010 ~~~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
From what I understand, they are actually going to start requiring tablets for first year medical students. It will "highly recommended" for the class of 2010 and be required for the class of 2011. I think they are working with Gateway right now on getting a deal set up for the 1st year class.

Members don't see this ad.

Wendy11 said:
From what I understand, they are actually going to start requiring tablets for first year medical students. It will "highly recommended" for the class of 2010 and be required for the class of 2011. I think they are working with Gateway right now on getting a deal set up for the 1st year class.

This is the first I have heard anything about needing a tablet. When are they planning on "highly recommending" this?

I'm not sure to be honest. I work up at the school and that is what the professors have told me.....

Members don't see this ad :)
im really comp dumb is a tablet the same as a normal laptop but u can write on the screen right? It has windows and what not correct? They seem to be pricy at least the sony ones.

Yes its the same as a laptop but you can write on the screen.

I'm kinda disappointed that they would make them "mandatory". I'm hoping this isn't the case. I've heard laptops are useful for some but not for others.

I think they are trying to make Histology virtual...hence the need for a tablet.

Okay, I think I'm following. I've heard that they are trying to make histology virtual and that the 2010 class are probably going to be the "test subjects". Well, if that's the case, I'm all for tablets! That way, we won't have the same problems with some of the slides as past classes. I may be misinformed, but does that mean we may not need microscopes, or will we still need them for another class?

futured.o. said:
Okay, I think I'm following. I've heard that they are trying to make histology virtual and that the 2010 class are probably going to be the "test subjects". Well, if that's the case, I'm all for tablets! That way, we won't have the same problems with some of the slides as past classes. I may be misinformed, but does that mean we may not need microscopes, or will we still need them for another class?

don't know exactly what it mean for you in terms of tablets or microscopes, but i do know that there is little reason for a specific tablet aside from price. As far as it being virtual histo, this should be a good change, It will definetly give you the exact picture that everyone else sees, as opposed to having a path ridden slide that you cannot discern normal from.

good luck entering 1st years

DrDad

Not all of the slides are virtual, and its still in the trial stages of being part virtual, so you will still need the ole microscope.

DrMom said:
Hey, I'd have paid for a tablet PC to avoid all of those hours with my box of slides! I just don't like looking through a microscope.

I didn't look through the microscope when I was in the class anyway. You can study everything from websites.

OSUdoc08 said:
I didn't look through the microscope when I was in the class anyway. You can study everything from websites.

Well, I think things have changed some, but we actually had to use our scopes during the entire lab time. We didn't have lab in a room with screens/tvs like you do now.

DrMom said:
Well, I think things have changed some, but we actually had to use our scopes during the entire lab time. We didn't have lab in a room with screens/tvs like you do now.

Although everyone did have their scopes out, I always brought my laptop to class, and referenced labeled images on the web.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to the last one but I am going again. Who else will be attending this Saturday? :thumbup:

jx2sx2 said:
I went to the last one but I am going again. Who else will be attending this Saturday? :thumbup:
I went to the last one too and I will also be attending this saturday!!!!!!!! :cool:

ladydoc74403 said:
I went to the last one too and I will also be attending this saturday!!!!!!!! :cool:

Yay! Me too!

dumb question, but i got work right after admitted student day its suppose to end at 1:00 does it end exactly at 1:00? And whats the dress like is it business casual? should i be in a suit, i just need to know if i need to bring another pair of clothes for work thx.

Abe said:
dumb question, but i got work right after admitted student day its suppose to end at 1:00 does it end exactly at 1:00? And whats the dress like is it business casual? should i be in a suit, i just need to know if i need to bring another pair of clothes for work thx.

1. You can leave early.

2. I wore a polo shirt.

I attended the last one and will be there again. Most people just wore khaki pants and a nice shirt (no suits).

OSUdoc08 said:
Although everyone did have their scopes out, I always brought my laptop to class, and referenced labeled images on the web.

Well, we didn't have a wireless network my first semester. I'd have loved to be able to do that.

Enjoy admitted students day, everyone! Then go enjoy your summer. :)

If there is anyone that might like to get together Friday night let me know. I will be driving into Tulsa Friday around 7:00 pm.

[email protected]

Marshall D. Early

jx2sx2 said:

I went to the last one and I will be there this Saturday as well

So, how was Admitted Student Day #2? Did everyone have fun and meet new people?

I am getting really excited to meet everyone!

any ideas on health insurance? Bluecross is still like $70.00 a month, i didnt know health insurance was so high =o. I checked soma it was like 80.00, im not a smoker or have any type of health risks just seemed high to me.
and yea admitted day was alright, i didnt really learn anything new, but it was nice meetin some of the class of 2010

Abe said:
any ideas on health insurance? Bluecross is still like $70.00 a month, i didnt know health insurance was so high =o. I checked soma it was like 80.00, im not a smoker or have any type of health risks just seemed high to me.
and yea admitted day was alright, i didnt really learn anything new, but it was nice meetin some of the class of 2010

$80/month?

I had SOMA - the cheapest plan - for a single person in my 20s - healthy, non-smoker - and the rate was $153/month

Not sure where you are getting the $80 figure.

Great thing about residency. Family of four/child-bearing age...i think privately my insurance would be >500 a month. I can get it for $115-$200

DireWolf,
Are you female? Your rate is pretty standard for a female with pregnancy coverage, his rate is right for a healthy young male.

BobBarker said:
DireWolf,
Are you female? Your rate is pretty standard for a female with pregnancy coverage, his rate is right for a healthy young male.

I can't wait for Wolf's reply to this one.

BobBarker said:
DireWolf,

I know this is none of my business, but I think I remember DireWolf attempting to hit on Athena about a year ago. So, I think it's safe to say DireWolf is very much a male.

BTW: I hadn't noticed this info showing up in this thread yet (although I've been away & may have missed it)

The arrangement between the state and OSU-CHS to fund and maintain our teaching hospital is now funded.

State lawmakers late Thursday reached a budget agreement that includes appropriations to support our graduate medical education programs – $20 million this year and $20 million over the next four years.

With this final hurdle cleared, OSU College of Osteopathic Medicine and Tulsa Regional Medical Center can move forward with plans to improve facilities and equipment at the hospital and, by doing so, enhance our residency programs.

Watch for more detail in the coming weeks as TRMC makes the formal transition to OSU Medical Center.

Background

Gov. Brad Henry on June 7 signed the Oklahoma State University Medical Authority Act (Senate Bill 1771). The act establishes an authority and trust to administer the terms of the academic affiliation agreement reached May 5 by OSU-CHS and TRMC.

:thumbup:

That is SUCH a relief for those of us wanting to stay in the Tulsa area!! This is really going to be huge for TRMC also, especially since they are deeply underfunded. Will this mean that we will have more spots for the residency program? I certainly hope so!! I love the idea that I can do my Family Practice residency here w/o having to go into a MD program.

There are plans to add some spots, but according to Dr. Fernandex a number of them will be combined programs (ie: EM/FM, EM/IM, IM/Peds). It all is very good for the school, students, residents, and community.

What is a combined program? Like a double specialty? How much time would, say, an IM/Peds residency take vs. just IM?

steponie said:
I love the idea that I can do my Family Practice residency here w/o having to go into a MD program.

The Family Med residency was never in trouble, but it is rather exciting that they're starting to bring in IM subspecialties as well, They started a Cards not too long ago, and starting this year they will have an invasive cardiology. there is also talk of Pulmonology around the corner and perhaps a GI

Hernandez said:
The Family Med residency was never in trouble, but it is rather exciting that they're starting to bring in IM subspecialties as well, They started a Cards not too long ago, and starting this year they will have an invasive cardiology. there is also talk of Pulmonology around the corner and perhaps a GI

And don't forget that the nephrology fellowship is starting this July, too.

I have to agree with Idio on the pulmonology service, though.

DrMom said:

I've not had anything to do with the pulm servc, so I have no idea what it's like, just spreading more rumors and how could I forget about Nephrology, :laugh: the poor fellow was looking a little ragged a few months back.

DrMom said:
And don't forget that the nephrology fellowship is starting this July, too.

They had a fellow this past year, so it seems as though that fellowship already started. Also, I guess you are right about med/peds and I am very surprised...4 years total to become board certified in two specialties? Are you sure you dont have to do a separate internship? It just seems crazy.