OSU-COM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You will hear of a lot more acceptances com mid March to April when the final acceptances are announced nation wide and all the geniuses who apply everywhere & get accepted everywhere announce their school of intent and therefore open slots up. \

GL to all of you who are waiting to hear and/or already waitlisted.

Members don't see this ad.

Several of those who interviewed when I was at OSU were sitting on other acceptances, and were scheduled to interview at OU in the upcomming weeks. If they are accepted to OU they said they would have a difficult decision "I read that to mean they would likely take it" so I am not terribly concerned about spots opening up in the future. I am still waiting to hear if I have been waitlisted or asked to leave them alone for a year.

Several of those who interviewed when I was at OSU were sitting on other acceptances, and were scheduled to interview at OU in the upcomming weeks. If they are accepted to OU they said they would have a difficult decision "I read that to mean they would likely take it" so I am not terribly concerned about spots opening up in the future. I am still waiting to hear if I have been waitlisted or asked to leave them alone for a year.

I can't remember when I got my wait list letter. I bet they mailed the letters today and you will get it by Saturday. I know it didn't take very long. Nevertheless, I ordered all the examkrackers books last night! I used TPR last time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gave them a call and they said that waitlist letters would be mailed Thursday.

I just watched the first part of Nightline tonight and OSU physicians were on there! It was about something called Morgellons disease (fibers growing out of the skin causing lesions, and the feeling of bugs under the skin) that all other doctors believe is a psychiatric thing, but OSU physicians and scientists are actually looking into it. It's pretty interesting! Anyone else see it?

Just wanted to chime in. I read some stuff about Morgellon's a few months back and they mentioned OSU. It was so interesting that I looked up everything I could find about it. I feel so awful for people who seem to be experiencing real symptoms and pain and are just told that it is psychological bc the doctors can't explain it. It ticks me off. Yay OSU!

Was watching my phone all afternoon and nothing just crickets chirping in the background. I wonder if they contacted everyone by phone that was accepted?

hey saylorsdad, just wanted to tell ya to hang in there.......and not everyone will get a call when they get accepted........i had to find out by seeing a UPS envelope sitting on my front porch....so don't lose faith.....and congrats to everyone that got accepted

That's good news I thought they would call everyone who was accepted.

They do call everyone now. They just started this year, though. So that is probably why he didn't know til the UPS truck.

nice kill sookie, let the man keep his hopes up! I mean, you never know..

LOL I was gonna say that but I didn't want to kill it, either. For some reason they started calling everyone this year. But you guys have to understand, a waitlist is pretty much a delayed acceptance. I know its nice to know and get it over with but PLEASE don't be discouraged!!

haha it wasn't a kill... sorry saylorsdad. I know what you're going through, so I would want to know the truth. I keep meeting people who are holding on to acceptances to both OU and OSU and not making any moves yet, so there is still hope for the wait list for some.

Im feeling confident! I am half way through EK stuff for the mcat and my diagnostic put me at a 11R 10BS and 9 PS = 30; now when you apply that to actual scores its typically +- 3 so worse case i got 27. I just took the midway progress check and I made a 12R 15 BS and 11 PS! I was so excited when I saw that! I can only keep going up i hope cuz I still have some Physics to learn which really screwed me on the midway because there was some optics...

Members don't see this ad :)
I received reply from OSU yesterday in email that they had contacted everyone so I already knew that. Also at this point in the process we all have done everything we can do so am not worried about acceptance.

Not being admitted this year to OSU isnt the end of the world, I doubt it would even rank a close second to passing the STA indoc in the USMC and not being accepted due lack of slots.

Im feeling confident! I am half way through EK stuff for the mcat and my diagnostic put me at a 11R 10BS and 9 PS = 30; now when you apply that to actual scores its typically +- 3 so worse case i got 27. I just took the midway progress check and I made a 12R 15 BS and 11 PS! I was so excited when I saw that! I can only keep going up i hope cuz I still have some Physics to learn which really screwed me on the midway because there was some optics...

Those are good scores. are you studying anything other than EK?

Wow, phlame! You're so lucky! I just took my first full-length (Kaplan diagnostic) and I made an 18 [i haven't studied AT ALL!]. So, I'm not feeling as good as you. But, I have nowhere to go but up. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'd really just like to get a 29 or 30. That would be amazing. I'm going to start taking AAMC's here in a few weeks, hopefully that'll be a little easier.

I am using exam krackers as my main material but I am using class notes and last years kaplan guide to re-enforce materials that I either don't fully understand or that I need more depth of understanding on. This month was biology, next month is chemistry, march I am going over physics again since I've taught myself the majority, and then april I am taking three CBT's a week and studying my weaknesses. Then my test comes april 19th!

BTW if your wondering about verbal, I am just reading alot of high level material and will be happy as long as I get a 10 in it. Bio is by far my strength and PS will be my middle ground.

My Kaplan MCAT instructor is HOTTTTT.

I had to do something to bump this thread! I hope everyone had a great holiday weekend!

how does OSU treat the OOS resident tuition? Is it OOS tuition for the first year or all four years?

You have to work in Oklahoma full time for at least a year before you start school to qualify for in state tuition. I believe you can also get in-state if you marry an Oklahoma resident.

There has been only one interview session since I was wait-listed... should I still have hope?

On another note... the foo fighters concert was postponed! How lame!

almo... I'm glad you have some eye candy while you are studying for the mcat. My instructor was an ass.

Hi All! I'm a die hard OSU-COM hopeful and interview 1/30! I applied last year, interviewed in March, and was placed on the wait list. I wasn't ever rejected or accepted when classes started last August, so here I go again!

Since I'm interviewing almost 2 months earlier than last year, I have high hopes for this year!

Hi All! I'm a die hard OSU-COM hopeful and interview 1/30! I applied last year, interviewed in March, and was placed on the wait list. I wasn't ever rejected or accepted when classes started last August, so here I go again!

Since I'm interviewing almost 2 months earlier than last year, I have high hopes for this year!

Are you a member of Chi O?

almo... I'm glad you have some eye candy while you are studying for the mcat. My instructor was an ass.

Yup, it makes it so much easier to study MCAT stuff. :cool:

Yeah, I was a Chi Omega at East Central University in Ada, OK

Yeah, I was a Chi Omega at East Central University in Ada, OK

Hi there! I'm at ECU right now, I'm a junior. How long ago were you at ECU?

You have to work in Oklahoma full time for at least a year before you start school to qualify for in state tuition. I believe you can also get in-state if you marry an Oklahoma resident.

Sorry to cut in on your discussion as I am not an OSU-COM student nor an Oklahoma resident, but I might be able to shed some light on this because my spouse is.

I was told (a few years ago) that you could get residency from a spouse if he was an established resident prior to you moving to the state. If you move there as a married couple, your residency status is locked in for the duration when you start school. So even if he was gainfully employed during your first year, you are seen as having moved there for educational purposes and thus ineligible for resident tuition. They are required to be more forgiving if one of you is in the military, however.

If Oklahoma is like Texas (which I am much more familiar with), then simply living there for a year without enrolling in school should do the trick independent of employment. Just bear in mind that I think you'd still be considered oos on the application until you can demonstrate otherwise.

I may do a residency in Oklahoma (my family and in-laws live there), so I might revisit your discussion for some housing advice later on if that's okay.

Why thank you UTBME :)

I just graduated May 2007 with a degree in Biology.

I interviewed today, thought it went pretty well. It was a lot different than last year though. Hopefully I'll be getting that call next week!

Received denial in mail last week, looks like I will be taking more classes and reapplying next year. Best of luck to those on waitlist, and yet to be interviewed.

I am sorry! Maybe we'll get accepted together! :)
Are you retaking the MCAT?

To my understanding the MCAT isn't what kept me out this year, it is a lack of current upper division courses. I am going to fix that by taking anat and physio this summer.

So I have a plan on fixing what they didn't like this year. I also will be in touch with admissions at osu and they will direct me to strengthing my application for next year. I have no doubt I will be at osu in 09.

I will probably be reapplying with you, saylorsdad. Did they say in the letter what happened, or did you have to ask?

I'm going to retake the MCAT in July if I don't get taken off the wait-list.

Thanks for the contact at SW Integris, Phlame. I'm going tomorrow to fill out paper work!

I only received a letter of denial, I contacted them and will be meeting to find out how to strengthen my app. I know that I need more upper division credits so have made arrangements this summer to get 2 more, and am working on at least on in the fall or spring giving me 3 upper division credits in the year leading up to school.

Sounds good! By application period, I'll have 2 upper division courses and by marticulation, if I get accepted this time around, I'll have 5. Currently I've complete microbiology and am currently in human anat. This fall Ill be taking genetics and next spring Ill be in human phys and biochem.

Hopefully the prospect of those will strengthen my app.

Oh, and congrats sookie on SW! Its alot of fun there and dont be afraid to approach doctors and introduce yourself. The guy to watch out for is Dr. Marty McBride. Everyone calls him McB (mick bee) and he would be an awsome doctor for an LOR.

any other OSU undergrads here? I'm a sophomore zoo major at the main campus.
I'll definitely be applying at OSU-COM when the time comes.

I dunno of any other OSU undergrads, but there are plenty around from other universities.

Southwest Med Center is amazing. Dr. Shelly Zimmerman came to speak at UCO today with her husband (who is a 4th year OSU-COM) student. They are super nice and they made me REALLY excited to be going to OSU-COM. They have SEVEN kids!!!!! If they can do med school with that many kids, I don't know why people complain!

For those of you that interviewed in this last round, I talked to Sarah Quinton this morning and the committee has not met yet. So no phone calls have been made and no letters have been mailed. Good news for those of us waiting on that call!

Did you find out when the admissions committee is meeting?

Good news for us on the wait list, too! Thanks for the info Chi-O

They said they're not meeting till next week, but didn't give me a day. Oh the torture! :)

If they are having interviews next week, then it will probably be on the last day of interviews... that's how they did it when I interviewed.

I interviewed on Wednesday, and they told us the committee would be meeting after the interviews on Friday too, but that's been a week and a half ago! I guess they just meant sometime after the interviews, not necessarily that day :(

I just talked to Sarah Quinton and the admissions committee has met on this last set of interviews. She said letters should be going out tomorrow, and no calls have been made. She said she hadn't heard when they would be making the calls for sure. Good luck to those of us still waiting!

They made at least one call for acceptance today that I know of.

Were you that one call?

Just thought I'd checkin with Myo, DrMom, etc.... Figured I would check out how the semester is going.. Did anyone hear of a final number of acceptances?? I turned all my FAFSA stuff in last week so we could get our loans filled out for our house in Bixby.

On the house note, we went through Simmons Homes and Swift Home Loans. If you are interested in a house I suggest you log onto Simmonshomes.com and check out their "neighborhoods" and floor plans. We haven't decided on the exact plan (Hawthorne or Kennedy), but the houses come with granite in the kitchen, laminate wood throughout, nice appliances, etc... and about 1420 sqft for about $134,000 depending on what options you choose.

Chi-O... did they tell your interview group to not worry if you were placed on the wait list and all that hoopla like they told us? Just wondering if they already took a lot of people off the wait list.

They said that over half the class is pulled from the wait list. I was on the wait list last year, then the final wait list, and was neither accepted or given a letter of reapplication when classes started. But I didn't interview until March either. I haven't gotten a call, so I'm assuming I'm on the wait list yet again. But I'm not giving up hope. My sister is an OSU grad, and she was pulled off the wait list in June when she started, and my brother-in-law is in his second year and he was pulled off the wait list too. So I'm hoping we have the same luck!