OSU-COM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, meanwhile I'm still stuck in limbo. Good luck on your interview. If I could do it over again I would not stress as much.

Members don't see this ad.

Am not stressed I'm trying to enjoy the trip. My wife and kiddo's are going with me and they are going to watch a movie, and look at houses in the area to get a better feel of what's available. Good luck with the waitlist I think there will be alot of movement in the upcomming months.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, we were on the 2nd page! What's up with that? Anyway--start posting people!

I signed up for the MCAT - April 5, 2008. Kinda scary!

I'm on the 19th of april. Here i come!

if you want suggestions about where to or not to look, school districts, etc, feel free to PM me

You can PM me as well. (I've lived in Tulsa/Broken Arrow for 18 years.)

am in doubletree right now interview tomorrow. thet give discount to 95 night to those interviewing.

pham you interviewing in april?

I'm on the 19th of april. Here i come!

April 5th for me. I have to drive 3 hours, but it's not that bad. Are you taking any MCAT courses or anything?

WOO HOO!!! I'm rootin for you saylorsdad!!!!! You are going to do great!!!!!! Let us know how it goes!

Thanks for the support just got finished eating at my cousin's house here in tulsa. Am looking forward to tomorrow

Is the april interview date for the bridge program, or do they do the bridge program interviews in may?

I think it is april for the bridge program. I talked to sarah today and she said that the next round of interviews aren't for another 3 weeks. She also said that between 20 and 30 people are on the wait list so far.

April 5th for me. I have to drive 3 hours, but it's not that bad. Are you taking any MCAT courses or anything?

Originally I signed up for may because of my heavy courseload, but I decided to shift things around and so I am taking a somewhat lighter, but the same amount of hours, course load. When I went to switch dates, the local test center was full so I get to drive for a 1.5 hours to a test center in woodward now.

Im all the way through physics 1 material now and I am starting physics 2 stuff soon. I am not taking any courses, just have my own plan to get 'r done.

I finished my interview and am waiting on reply. The class is around half full according the OSU admissions office, and there will be some upcomming announcments on the status of the teaching hospital. The interview was very conversational, and I have posted my feedback so it is available for others who will interview. The one question I am glad I did not get was finish this sentence; I believe. The other group got that one, and everyone thought it was a tough one. Now I am just waiting on a phone call or ups truck. The admissions office said they have started calling some people and giving the good news. The bad news still arrives via the mail.

The admissions office did say they would not accept more than 88 this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck saylorsdad. I am interviewing on Friday.

best of luck the interview really is very relaxed, the onlything that will wear you out is the length of the day. food is pretty good and everyone is pretty nice.

I'm trying to be proactive in the case that I don't get off the waiting list, so I tried calling several doctors on the list that OSU COM sends out. Hardly any of them answered! One that did told me the doctor was a busy surgeon so I should try to find a family practice physician instead... another one the doctor talked to me and was sooooo rude. Any suggestions?

You live in norman, right?

Try SW Medical Center run by Integris.

Call this number: 405-636-7195.

The secretary name Amber Louch will answer and she is the secretary of the Emergency Medicine Residency program. Ask her to set up a shadowing gig and she will have you come in and fill out stuff and you may need to provide a shot record and the results of a TB test. Took me about 3 weeks to get stuff done because I had to have a TB test done which takes about 3 weeks.

GL

I agree. That is pretty much the route that I took. I called down that list and happened to get an amazing doctor that agreed to help me out and she happened to be affiliated with Integris Southwest and that residency program. I filled out that paperwork, too and was good to go in about a week!!! Seriously, try them!

Just a quick note, it appears that there's a new deal for the hospital. I got a brief look this morning at a letter they were giving the staff & it's something along the lines of the hospital being donated to OSU by Ardent and Ardent will continue to manage the hospital. This is good for the hospital and the training programs.

does any one know the stats for the out of state matriculants? isn't it like 17 spots out of 90 for out of state??? i want to see if its worth even appying as a CA resident.

if this question has already been asked in this thread, i ask that you please just attach a link to the response as opposed to insulting me for not reading the entire 11+ page thread or using the search option....thank you all :):)

I can only speak for my class, but the OOS folks didn't have significantly different stats from the in-state folks (and there was a range of stats...although chances aren't great if an applicant is at the lower end of things...I'd say it's worth your while if you're near or above the matriculant averages listed on the website somewhere). About 15% of each class is OOS, so that's not bad for a state school.

I can only speak for my class, but the OOS folks didn't have significantly different stats from the in-state folks (and there was a range of stats...although chances aren't great if an applicant is at the lower end of things...I'd say it's worth your while if you're near or above the matriculant averages listed on the website somewhere). About 15% of each class is OOS, so that's not bad for a state school.

on the website they show about 17% spots are out of state.....BUT....nearly 1400 non-state applicants for 15 spots!!! That's 1 percent acceptance!! how do you even begin to choose? especially with many qualified applicants that might for sure get in if from oklahoma.

Keep in mind that a number of folks with bad stats broadly apply to DO schools. Your stats are important, but don't have to be crazy high to have a chance.

The secretary name Amber Louch will answer and she is the secretary of the Emergency Medicine Residency program. Ask her to set up a shadowing gig and she will have you come in and fill out stuff and you may need to provide a shot record and the results of a TB test. Took me about 3 weeks to get stuff done because I had to have a TB test done which takes about 3 weeks.

GL

Yeah, I'm in norman. I would ask the doctors I previously shadowed, but I would just feel bad to bother them again. Thanks for the help! I will call the number Monday. No school for OU on monday! woohoo!

GL

Yeah, I'm in norman. I would ask the doctors I previously shadowed, but I would just feel bad to bother them again. Thanks for the help! I will call the number Monday. No school for OU on monday because of the ice storms... woohoo!

Sorry for the double post... cable keeps messing up

Keep in mind that a number of folks with bad stats broadly apply to DO schools. Your stats are important, but don't have to be crazy high to have a chance.

true. but i imagine this happens quite a bit for a school with an in-state mandate "he/she has pretty good stats, good ECs, LOR, etc.....but hey so does person X and he/she is from oklahoma so person Y from out of state is out..." or maybe i am just being pessimistic

true. but i imagine this happens quite a bit for a school with an in-state mandate "he/she has pretty good stats, good ECs, LOR, etc.....but hey so does person X and he/she is from oklahoma so person Y from out of state is out..." or maybe i am just being pessimistic

I am an out of state applicant with a 3.4/30 (including a C and C+ in 2 semesters of Organic Chemistry). I interviewed in November and am now on the waitlist. My extracurriculars aren't super impressive and my clinical experience is pretty limited. Yet, somehow I got an interview and I am very optimistic about an acceptance from off the waitlist. (They take 50% of their class from the waitlist and I just need one spot out 44.)

I say go for it. It is an awesome school and very much worth the application fees to get a shot at an acceptance.

But they hold a certain # of spots for OOS, so it isn't quite that scenario.

I am an out of state applicant with a 3.4/30 (including a C and C+ in 2 semesters of Organic Chemistry). I interviewed in November and am now on the waitlist. My extracurriculars aren't super impressive and my clinical experience is pretty limited. Yet, somehow I got an interview and I am very optimistic about an acceptance from off the waitlist. (They take 50% of their class from the waitlist and I just need one spot out 44.)

I say go for it. It is an awesome school and very much worth the application fees to get a shot at an acceptance.

where are you from? I'm from Cali, kinda worried about the weather change :rolleyes: ive been in southern california most of my life and we pretty much only have one season

But they hold a certain # of spots for OOS, so it isn't quite that scenario.

yea i see what you are saying. but my thinking was that since the number of spots held is so small, the stats would be higher than in state applicants just b/c there are so many out of state applying for so little spots. ohhh well. thanks for your input! i appreciate it

In oklahoma, you will experience all four seasons in a day or two. For example, Last week we hit 79 degrees at my house (summer) in the mid-afternoon and by midnight it was 23(winter) degrees outside and the next day we had strongs winds and temps in the 50's in the morning (fall) and then by the afternoon we were in the low 60's with thunderstorms and even tornadoes (spring).

where are you from? I'm from Cali, kinda worried about the weather change :rolleyes: ive been in southern california most of my life and we pretty much only have one season

I am from Utah, so the weather wont be too much of an adjustment for me, except the Summers are hotter in OK and overall it is more tornado-y there.

Just be sure to invest in a good coat.

Tornadoes aren't the real problem here because they are so short lived and they only affect a small area... it is the ice storms that cause all the damage! We are still trying to clean up the mess a month later.

I interviewed on Friday and it went really well. The day is well organized. The students and staff are all very positive and proud of the school. They informed us the morning of the interview day that there are 33 spots left and the next interviews will be at the end of January.

For those of you waiting for interviews, the next interviews are the week of January 28th.

I called to check to see if anyone had been called yet, and they said they reviewed the applications today and should be calling in the next few days.

How long before they start calling for acceptances from this last round of interviews?

I'm assuming today or tomorrow. I heard that the committee met yesterday afternoon. They are reviewing the wait list applications with them.

I got my call from the admissions office today and I am in!

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!

Was watching my phone all afternoon and nothing just crickets chirping in the background. I wonder if they contacted everyone by phone that was accepted? Hopefully I'll get the call tomorrow if not what's the odds of a waitlist then acceptance this late in year?

I bet they got all the calls done today, but I could be wrong. I didn't get a call that I'm off the wait list either. I'm going to start buying new MCAT books to study again...

After taking several strolls thru SDN the past two years, I finally decided to register the day of my offer for admittance to OSU, Class 2012. Many of you have been a world of help and I apologize for procrastining to register until now.

Not sure how much help I can offer in medical world but if anyone needs to know anything about Tulsa, from homes to schools, I've lived here over 40 years. Tulsa is the one thing I do know.

It’s a strange feeling tonight. Though I was excited when I first received the offer, now reality has set in. I finally made it – now what? Ironically, sometimes it’s the journey getting there that is the real learning experience. The offer seems almost anti-climatic.

If curious, I interviewed at OSU on 1/11 and received a phone call this afternoon.

Congrats to One Old Man. We interviewed together and I knew you would make it. They called me this afternoon to let me know I was accepted. See you in the fall for classes.

WOO HOOO!!!!!!! I am SOOOO happy for all of you!! Congratulations! I know what you mean about it being anti-climatic.....it's such a weird feeling. You're SOOOOO happy but at the same time its hard to let it actually set in. If those of you that have been accepted have a facebook, PLEASE JOIN the OSU-COM Class of 2012 group that I created. We only have 16 members so far and I know more have to have been accepted. Those of you on the waitlist, BE PATIENT....it will come!!!!! Let us know as soon as it does! :)

Well, you would think that if I waited to post for two years, the least I could do would be to proofread the first post. Make that procrastinating...

I'll see all that have been admitted later this year (if memory serves, they have a late spring get acquainted and give you the run down) and thank you for the congratulations, especially to you premedinnv since we interviewed together.

Of all the things I have been most impressed with OSU-CHS, it is the quality of the students I have interviewed with (both times) and the "family" environment of the university. According to my acquaintances currently enrolled at the college, the family is for real.

And for those who haven't been accepted yet and still in waiting, hang in there. There are still several positions to be filled. Two of my friends last year in the class of 2011 were accepted after being put on the wait list.