OSUCOM Class of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi Ya'll! Thanks for the great time at Admitted Student Day!! Now to the juicy stuff! My husband and I are relocating to Owasso to be alot closer to school this August, and as a result we are selling our home in Beggs, buying a newer, bigger house so that our three growing children won't become closet children. Also, we need to replace our family car, and because I am starting med school, I wont be able to work any more. I've heard from a couple of people there, but I just want to be reassured by the general consensus, will I be able to get enough money in school loans to make it, or do I start looking at Owasso shanties? Let me know your experiences in getting extra moolah at OSU so that I can rest easy or start looking for a beat-up Toyota!! :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

steponie said:
Hi Ya'll! Thanks for the great time at Admitted Student Day!! Now to the juicy stuff! My husband and I are relocating to Owasso to be alot closer to school this August, and as a result we are selling our home in Beggs, buying a newer, bigger house so that our three growing children won't become closet children. Also, we need to replace our family car, and because I am starting med school, I wont be able to work any more. I've heard from a couple of people there, but I just want to be reassured by the general consensus, will I be able to get enough money in school loans to make it, or do I start looking at Owasso shanties? Let me know your experiences in getting extra moolah at OSU so that I can rest easy or start looking for a beat-up Toyota!! :confused:

it all depends on how much debt you wish to go into, I just bought a 04 Monte carlo with school loans, but I shopped around and got a smoking deal on it. Getting loans isn't a problem, unless you have bad credit

Hernandez said:
Getting loans isn't a problem, unless you have bad credit
Our credit is pretty good, actually. We own both of our cars, have very little credit card debt and usually pay it off within a month or two, and my husband makes great money. Our problem is, the housing in the Tulsa area is alot more expensive than in Beggs. Our house in Beggs, which we are selling for $86K is equivalent to approx $125K in Owasso, and we are already needing a bigger house bcs we have lived here for 6 yrs and had 2 children since we moved in! The cost of daycare in Owasso is about $100/mo more per child ($300/mo altogether) and that is at the least expensive place we have found (not very comforting to be the least expensive, either!) We are pretty frugal people and dont live extravagantly, but we will need at least enough to continue our current way of life, which means at least $25K for the living expense part of the loans due to the increased cost of living. Is this do-able or am I in deep trouble? LOL. I guess this is the curse of the nontraditional med student!

Members don't see this ad :)
steponie said:
Our credit is pretty good, actually. We own both of our cars, have very little credit card debt and usually pay it off within a month or two, and my husband makes great money. Our problem is, the housing in the Tulsa area is alot more expensive than in Beggs. Our house in Beggs, which we are selling for $86K is equivalent to approx $125K in Owasso, and we are already needing a bigger house bcs we have lived here for 6 yrs and had 2 children since we moved in! The cost of daycare in Owasso is about $100/mo more per child ($300/mo altogether) and that is at the least expensive place we have found (not very comforting to be the least expensive, either!) We are pretty frugal people and dont live extravagantly, but we will need at least enough to continue our current way of life, which means at least $25K for the living expense part of the loans due to the increased cost of living. Is this do-able or am I in deep trouble? LOL. I guess this is the curse of the nontraditional med student!

Dr. Mom will have more knowledge about your situation and options (i'm single and only feeding myself), but relax, it is doable, money is easy to get now that your acceptated.

Hernandez said:
Dr. Mom will have more knowledge about your situation and options (i'm single and only feeding myself), but relax, it is doable, money is easy to get now that your acceptated.
:D Thank you for your input nonetheless!

Hernandez is correct that you'll be able to borrow what you need to survive decently. You may, however, have to get into private loans.

You'll want to talk with Sandra Hale and see if you guys can develop a budget to help with acquiring the loans.

DrMom said:
Hernandez is correct that you'll be able to borrow what you need to survive decently. You may, however, have to get into private loans.

You'll want to talk with Sandra Hale and see if you guys can develop a budget to help with acquiring the loans.

:luck: Thanks ever-so-much for the heads up!! This has been the only real concern that we have had and now I feel much, much better! Thank you! Just call me Private Loans Jones!! LOL.

Hm...... Wouldnt that be nice.... yet strangely enough I have grown appreciative of my medical school debt... for in my deepest darkest hours of study it provides my sole motivation. Lets here it for the great motivator DEBT!!!

congrats all on making it in.... now lets make it out alive BwAhaaaaa! :smuggrin:

Luv
BK

ROFLMAO!!! With that in mind, maybe success is proportional to the amount of loans you take out. As it stands, I will DEFINATELY be the top of my class!!!

steponie said:
ROFLMAO!!! With that in mind, maybe success is proportional to the amount of loans you take out. As it stands, I will DEFINATELY be the top of my class!!!

Nah, us poor out of staters have to pay twice as much as you, and thus take out much more......

OSUdoc08 said:
Nah, us poor out of staters have to pay twice as much as you, and thus take out much more......

LOL. This is true! Hey, at least I will not be alone in the deepest regions of school loan indebtedness! We will all just have to band together and pray for torte reform so that we can afford to be doctors! Either that, or a massive attack on credit agencies like what Edward Norton/Brad Pitt pulled off in Fight Club the day after we finish residency!! LOL. :clap:

Congrats Steponie

It is a tortuous road ahead, but you will make it....

If you have any questions feel free to ask...

congratulations

DrDad
Husband to #1 mom in the world
Daddy to three of the best kids (tied for #1)
(if u havent figured it out, They are the support group I turn to)

Hey DrDad, I see that you also have 3 kids. My question to you is, how much time do you regularly get to spend w/ them on a given day? Also, what is the best way that you have found to include them in your school life so they dont feel left out?
Thanks for the Congrats!!
Mel

Members don't see this ad :)
I spend most of two days/wk with the kids and my wife... it works out well.... but there are many nights typically mon-thurs that I dont get home until 10ish and may see the two year old and of course my wife.... She is very understanding.... She also makes the relationship better with the kids by keeping me involved in their days.... I wish you the best and feel free to email me, I will likely be able to reply faster

COngrats

DRDAD

steponie said:
LOL. This is true! Hey, at least I will not be alone in the deepest regions of school loan indebtedness! We will all just have to band together and pray for torte reform so that we can afford to be doctors! Either that, or a massive attack on credit agencies like what Edward Norton/Brad Pitt pulled off in Fight Club the day after we finish residency!! LOL. :clap:
They would be great! :cool:

So Who is nervous right now????

DrMom said:
whatcha got coming up next?
GO Spring Break!!!!!!

then we enter back into the thick of it with two tests the first week back then NeuroAnatomy the next week

Can any of you offer info on good places to raise a family in the Tulsa area. I have a daughter in middle school. I've searched the net for areas, but haven't found much info. I don't want to comute more than 30 min to OSU-com. Any ideas?

Frogmed said:
Can any of you offer info on good places to raise a family in the Tulsa area. I have a daughter in middle school. I've searched the net for areas, but haven't found much info. I don't want to comute more than 30 min to OSU-com. Any ideas?

1. Broken Arrow
2. Jenks

Frogmed said:

good school districts that meet your criteria include Jenks, Union (which is partially in Tulsa & partially in Broken Arrow), Broken Arrow (some schools in this dist are better than others), and Owasso.

DrMom said:
good school districts that meet your criteria include Jenks, Union (which is partially in Tulsa & partially in Broken Arrow), Broken Arrow (some schools in this dist are better than others), and Owasso.

In addition, there is also, Sand Springs or other places west...

(my wife and I are raising 3kids 23 miles west of the school, (25 min drive))

DrDad

It also Greatly depends on how close you really want to be to the school and how much you have to spend....

There are great Tulsa Schools also, such as Elliot (36th btw Peoria and Utica) or Eisenhower (incredibly hard to get into unless u live in the neighborhood, but a fantastic magnet school)

Good Luck

DrDad

My son went to Union and I have good things to say about it. I went to BA, Jenks, and Tulsa and would suggest Jenks for the second choice. There is a more parental money in the Jenks district, sometimes yielding snotty kids. But you can find that anywhere, if you look hard enough :eek:. Both have great tax bases: Union (mall and shopping corridor) and Jenks (powerplant).

If I get in the upcoming class, we will go back to Union. Be careful about the traffic situation in south and southeast Tulsa. There is no good way to downtown without major congestion or tolls. If you can get to the BA Expressway (51), the rest is not too bad since they widened it.

So count me in to the class of 2009! I was accepted in January but have been weighing all the options for a few months now. I guess I always knew this is where I'd be at the end of all this. It has just seemed like the right choice ever since I visited OSU. It was a little hard to let go of some other schools, but now its time to leave all that behind and move to Oklahoma. My wife is flying out there this next week to audition for the Fine Arts program at OSU Stillwater. So here's a shout out to all my new classmates!

MagnumDR said:
So count me in to the class of 2009! I was accepted in January but have been weighing all the options for a few months now. I guess I always knew this is where I'd be at the end of all this. It has just seemed like the right choice ever since I visited OSU. It was a little hard to let go of some other schools, but now its time to leave all that behind and move to Oklahoma. My wife is flying out there this next week to audition for the Fine Arts program at OSU Stillwater. So here's a shout out to all my new classmates!

Congratulations on gettin in and you picked a great school!

lata

DrDad

Does anyone know how many seats are still open for the class of 2009? I'll be interviewing up at OSU-COM this Thursday.

aahhhh. it's been awhile since i've stepped into the osteo forum-- another year, another class of XXXX thread. :)

just remember-- skip as much as you can and enjoy medical school and the free time it allows, 'cause once you hit the real world you'll be wishing you did if you didn't. i spend every day thankful i took the time to enjoy myself. :thumbup:

good luck everyone

go 'pokes

--your friendly neighborhood 2004 alum caveman

MechE said:
Does anyone know how many seats are still open for the class of 2009? I'll be interviewing up at OSU-COM this Thursday.

I don't know what the number is, but even if technically every seat is filled at this point, there is a lot of turnover between now and August. They'll be pulling quite a few off of the waitlist *after* the class is technically full.

In my class, for example, something like 6 people interviewed on the very last day of interviews.

DrMom said:
In my class, for example, something like 6 people interviewed on the very last day of interviews.

Wow, that's great to hear. I may have picked the last interview date (4/1) when offered the whole week. Interviewing on April Fool's Day :confused:. I might have been wondering if they had picked this day! Just imagine showing up with your suit on and the admissions department was MIA.

I've always been comfortable being different in a crowd. When racing motorcross, I used the number 13. On the first day of freshman class, a psych professor mentioned that people sitting in the back row usually made F's. So guess where I sat while earning my A that semester:thumbup:? Just call me a closet rebel. Different but centrist / conservative.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Hey guys! I'm joining the class of 2009! Just wanted to say hello to all!.

Wendy11 said:
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Hey guys! I'm joining the class of 2009! Just wanted to say hello to all!.

congrats wendy

Wendy11 said:
Congrats.....

DrDad

Wendy doesnt deserve congrats... hehehehe :laugh:

Dont get mad Wendy.. You know Im kidding!!!

BDress1227 said:
Wendy doesnt deserve congrats... hehehehe :laugh:

You are so funny..... :smuggrin:

C'mon OSU, pick me pick me! still waiting....

-Bill Brasky
"Third Friend of Brasky: He had nine children, all of 'em boys!

Second Friend of Brasky: Hell, he sired a baseball team.

Third Friend of Brasky: An orchestra, if you count the bastards!

Second Friend of Brasky: To Bill Brasky!

All Three: Bill Brasky!"

Does anyone know the approximate size of OSU-COM's waiting list now?...just curious.

I finally received a letter from OSU telling me I'm waitlisted. And since it seems OSU takes quite a few from the waitlist I just might get in this year. :thumbup:

turnerm37 said:
Does anyone know the approximate size of OSU-COM's waiting list now?...just curious.

I'm curious too since I joined the w-list today. Any info from the SDN OSU crowd?

OrthoFixation said:
I'm curious too since I joined the w-list today. Any info from the SDN OSU crowd?

The only information that I know is that all of the people on the last couple of interview days from last year are current students, and they were all waitlisted.

Other than those 10-12 people, I don't know anything else.

Corresponded with Leah; she said that there was some small movement on the waiting list, but nothing significant. She expects the movement to begin in late May or early June.

Wait-list.....means I'm waiting

-Bill Brasky
"One time I was with Brasky in the back of a pickup truck, along with a live deer. Brasky goes up to the deer and says, 'I'm Bill Brasky! SAY IT!' Then he manipulates the deer's lips in such a way as to make it say, 'Billbrasky' ... It wasn't exactly like it, but it was pretty good for a deer!'"