OSUCOM Class of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there a difference between the waitlist and the alternat list?

Members don't see this ad.

Is there anyone who is buying/has bought a condo/ house who can recommend a good realtor to work with. I have seen some houses on the Internet for 50K to 80K which seem pretty decent, and Im hoping to get in touch with someone to help me begin the process. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I was officially added to the class of 09' on April 7th, can't wait to get there!!! Anyone know any good bars in Tulsa?

heisman32 said:
I was officially added to the class of 09' on April 7th, can't wait to get there!!! Anyone know any good bars in Tulsa?

McNellie's

Kilkenny's

The Stadium

Blue Turtle Tavern

Gray Snail

Sideline Sports Bar

Suede

Baja

Crow Creek

many more......

Glad to see there is a big list....I am not sure how much time I will have to go to any, but you have to relax somehow right!!!

heisman32 said:
Glad to see there is a big list....I am not sure how much time I will have to go to any, but you have to relax somehow right!!!

you'll have time

heisman32 said:

Congrat's to you :cool: Were you on the waitlist at all?

No, I was lucky enough to get an acceptance!

I have been looking at PDA's recently, would you all suggest having one for your first year or is it really not necessary until rotations? If you would suggest having one for your first year, is there a certain one you would suggest? I have been looking at the Dell Axim X50v and the HP iPAQ 4705.

Hey everyone, I look forward to working with you next year. I have met four or five other OSU 2009ers on facebook.com. It's a pretty good resource for meeting new classmates! By the way, with finals around the corner, how stressed are you current medical students right now??

heisman32 said:
I have been looking at PDA's recently, would you all suggest having one for your first year or is it really not necessary until rotations? If you would suggest having one for your first year, is there a certain one you would suggest? I have been looking at the Dell Axim X50v and the HP iPAQ 4705.

You definitely don't need one first year...and will only use it a tiny bit at most during second year. After that, they're wonderful. I use mine daily.

thank you for the info...I was looking forward to spending the money to buy one!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry, that is supposed to say was NOT looking forward...

heisman32 said:

Don't buy a PDA until you begin your 3rd year. Anything you buy now will be obsolete.

My PDA has been collecting dust at home since the beginning of the semester.

What you do need is a laptop, for sure.

Athena918 said:
Hey everyone, I look forward to working with you next year. I have met four or five other OSU 2009ers on facebook.com. It's a pretty good resource for meeting new classmates! By the way, with finals around the corner, how stressed are you current medical students right now??

There are several 1st years and a few 2nd years of facebook. PM me for the names, if you want to talk with some people on there.

Athena918 said:

Not very stressed. The longer you are in medical school, the more acustomed to the pace you get. As the great Dr. Paul Evans once said to my class, "at first it feels like trying to drink from a fire hose, but eventually you learn to surf the waves."

Luv
BK :luck:

bck said:
Not very stressed. The longer you are in medical school, the more acustomed to the pace you get. As the great Dr. Paul Evans once said to my class, "at first it feels like trying to drink from a fire hose, but eventually you learn to surf the waves."

Luv
BK :luck:

Interesting quote. I met Dr. Evans at GA-PCOM. He seemed like a really nice guy. Sharp too.

Hey anyone doing anything interesting this summer?

Does OSU have test blocks like OU has or are they spread throughout the year?

MechE said:
Does OSU have test blocks like OU has or are they spread throughout the year?

We have them all throughout the semester.. i dont know the exact numbers, but this semester we had like 25 tests in a 16 week period. Only liek 3 weeks without a test, 2-3 tests on many weeks...

After much thinking I decided that OSU-COM was the right school for me and I just wanted to give congrats to everyone else who got in. I look forward to meeting everyone!

BDress1227 said:
We have them all throughout the semester.. i dont know the exact numbers, but this semester we had like 25 tests in a 16 week period. Only liek 3 weeks without a test, 2-3 tests on many weeks...

Believe it or not, this has improved. My class had 30 exams in 13 weeks in that semester. We told the profs that it really needed to be reduced. I know that it was better last year than what we had & it looks like its even a little better for you guys.

btw: MS1 2nd semester is the craziest one. all downhill from there :thumbup:

only two problems are the combination of endocrine and GI
and the tests right after spring break, It would have been nice to move the neuro test back two or three days, i intend to mention it to next years first years here in a couple months, all the professors seem really good about schedule movements if needed... thanks to them
other than that, it is mostly a perfect schedule

BDress1227 said:

Most weeks are just 1 test.

Multiple tests in a week only happened a couple of times.

I got accepted back in early March for Class of 2009, just too busy to post on the board! Looking forward to seeing all those that have posted next year. DrDad knows who I am, been spending some time with him up at OSUCOM while taking Biochem this semester. Can't wait to leave my financially secure job so I can rack up some debt!

Determined :oops:

-Just wondering if anyone has come off of the waitlist yet...anyone?

They accept people off of the waitlist pretty much every month. There is a lot of turnover even well into the summer, so if you're on the waitlist, be patient. :)

turnerm37 said:
-Just wondering if anyone has come off of the waitlist yet...anyone?

When I spoke w/ admission last Tuesday, they had an open seat in the process of being filled from the waitlist. I don't know how fast they move to fill newly opened slots. I'm sure they open up all the time, with most around 5/15 since that is a common deadline date.

OrthoFixation said:
When I spoke w/ admission last Tuesday, they had an open seat in the process of being filled from the waitlist. I don't know how fast they move to fill newly opened slots. I'm sure they open up all the time, with most around 5/15 since that is a common deadline date.

Come the end of May, they make another cut. They will cut the waitlist down to the FINAL WAITLIST. This is where many seats come from. I know of probably 10 ppl in our class that got in during the second week of june or so, and 1 that got in the week before orientation in august. But at the beginning of June they cut again, and the ppl left on the FINAL list are at a decent chance of getting in. GOOD LUCK to all on the waitlist..

Determined said:
I got accepted back in early March for Class of 2009, just too busy to post on the board! Looking forward to seeing all those that have posted next year. DrDad knows who I am, been spending some time with him up at OSUCOM while taking Biochem this semester. Can't wait to leave my financially secure job so I can rack up some debt!

Determined :oops:

Determined to be a smart......

:D

DrDad

ALMOST THERE.... One more test and 2nd year here I come

Wooohooo :D

Just got back from Vegas and I had a FedEx acceptance waiting for me. I'm pumped to be joining you guys at OSU. I'm sending in my paperwork immediately!

For those of you still waiting, I recently sent a letter of interest and had a chem prof send a LOR.

Congrats Ortho. :clap:

MechE said:
Congrats Ortho. :clap:

Thanks. I'm a ME too. Your avatar is kool :cool: It reminds me of ugrad ME logo at Fayetteville.

When is orientation? All I can find is the 2004/05 catalog and calender.

Congrats, Ortho. :) The orientation will be somewhere around the 2nd week of August...they'll send you a schedule before too long or you can call the student affairs office.

Should I email the letter of intent or send it by snail mail, since the May 15th deadline is right around the corner?

You can snail mail it. If you want, you can also send an email version or call the school on Monday as a backup, but that shouldn't be necesary.

Orientation is the week of the 15th-19th, and congratulations Ortho!!!

hey ortho and congratulations, looking forward to meeting everybody in august!!

Congrats ortho! I'll see you boys in August!

How many of you will be in Tulsa this summer? I'm anxious to start meeting people...

Oh yeah--has anyone turned in the immunization records yet? I went and got my TB test a couple weeks ago and when I took my records to be signed by my dr., she said they need two seperate TB tests within six months. She probably knows best, but I thought i'd double check because it seemed a little excessive to me. I called OSU but haven't heard back...who will respond faster...the campus or the forum... :)

I just had my physical today and found out that yes, we do need two TB tests. They can be done as early as one week apart though.

I'm flying in to Tulsa this weekend to find an apartment...any suggestions?

Also, I can't remember the name of the hotel I stayed at when I interviewed, can anyone help me out with a good hotel?

petstoreboy said:
I just had my physical today and found out that yes, we do need two TB tests. They can be done as early as one week apart though.

I had the same experience while volunteering at Parkland Hospital in Dallas. They wanted two tests also.

I'm driving up to house hunt Sat-Mon.

Do they still require proof of pelvic and rectal exams before orientation week?