OSUCOM Class of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Fenrezz said:
Do they still require proof of pelvic and rectal exams before orientation week?

i'm pretty sure they do.

the screening LP is now optional though :mad:

--your friendly neighborhood almost done with PGY-1 caveman

Members don't see this ad.

petstoreboy said:
I'm flying in to Tulsa this weekend to find an apartment...any suggestions?

Also, I can't remember the name of the hotel I stayed at when I interviewed, can anyone help me out with a good hotel?

Check out the Apartments along Riverside down at 61st and 71st, and along 71st between Riverside and Lewis.

Hmm, thanks on the TB info. As far as apartments go, there are some cool places just south of 15th between Peoria and Lewis. They're a little harder to find--mainly bigger houses that have been converted into apartment units scattered throughout an older/historic neighborhood. (Not terribly hard to find though as they usually have renting info in front of the building.) One of my friends lives around there and its really nice--totally renovated, hardwood floors, and a cool part of town. I have another friend looking at a one bedroom condo a block east of 38th and Peoria. I think they are called the Shannonwood Condominiums? Anyway, they dont have quite the unique personality, but again, are in a pretty cool part of town (Brookside) and are renting for $525/1br and $575/2br. Smith and Smith Realtors I think. I'm too sleepy to fully remember right now. :sleep: Thats all the info I have as far as the "hidden apt. jewels" of tulsa, ha. Most of the other good stuff is pretty easy to find by driving around...message if you have questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I decided to be brave and try out Westport for my first year! Wish me luck!

Wendy11 said:
I decided to be brave and try out Westport for my first year! Wish me luck!

Good luck!

Watch out for the Brown Recluse.....

OSUdoc08 said:
Good luck!

Watch out for the Brown Recluse.....

If you went to Paristology, youd have learned that brown recluses are everywhere, especially in Oklahoma, They are not picky.. Also, that the bite of a recluse is necrotizing to tissue. I have been bitten a spider at Westport, and nothing happend. I still live in Westport and will continue to do so at least through 2nd year. I love it here, you wont find better management anywhere. You also cant beat how close it is to the school. LOTS of COMers live at Westport. Nice gym, free movie rentals, free bike rentals, free office for printing/copying/faxing. If you go anywhere else, dont go to 61st Peoria area, GANGBANGING HOOD. Apts at 91st and Riverside are pretty nice, although a days drive away. Im from Tulsa, there is no such thing as a "crime-free" area. But contrary to popular belief, Westport area isnt even near high on the crime list, ask the police that.. Its actually pretty well monitored, being as that many cops live here...

Good luck home shopping....

BDress1227 said:
If you went to Paristology, youd have learned that brown recluses are everywhere, especially in Oklahoma, They are not picky.. Also, that the bite of a recluse is necrotizing to tissue. I have been bitten a spider at Westport, and nothing happend. I still live in Westport and will continue to do so at least through 2nd year. I love it here, you wont find better management anywhere. You also cant beat how close it is to the school. LOTS of COMers live at Westport. Nice gym, free movie rentals, free bike rentals, free office for printing/copying/faxing. If you go anywhere else, dont go to 61st Peoria area, GANGBANGING HOOD. Apts at 91st and Riverside are pretty nice, although a days drive away. Im from Tulsa, there is no such thing as a "crime-free" area. But contrary to popular belief, Westport area isnt even near high on the crime list, ask the police that.. Its actually pretty well monitored, being as that many cops live here...

Good luck home shopping....

You're right, I didn't go to parasitology.

But I'm not a fan of spiders----necrotizing or not.

Anywhere in Tulsa is ghetto. Your safest in Broken Arrow or Jenks, but I'd rather not drive that far.

OSUdoc08 said:
You're right, I didn't go to parasitology.

But I'm not a fan of spiders----necrotizing or not.

Anywhere in Tulsa is ghetto. Your safest in Broken Arrow or Jenks, but I'd rather not drive that far.

No spiders for me thanks.

I'll be looking for southeast Tulsa, it's worth the drive. BA Expwy is pretty quick.

Just try Central Expy & I635 traffic.

OrthoFixation said:
No spiders for me thanks.

I'll be looking for southeast Tulsa, it's worth the drive. BA Expwy is pretty quick.

Just try Central Expy & I635 traffic.

I tried out 635 today, and remembered why I love Tulsa traffic.

Hwy 75 and Riverside are both quick routes to school from south Tulsa.

Im pretty sure that during the entire year of living at westport that i have seen only 3 spiders. Spiders should NOT be a determining factor if trying to judge westport. If you see one, the complex comes and sprays, no biggie....

First, happy belated birthday osudoc.
Second, an advertisement: Many of you probably know that Mayfest starts today. But, also the "Blue Dome Art Festival" will be going on at the same time down the street at 2nd and Elgin. My friend Kristin Luce will be exhibiting her art, as will many other local artists. with all this talk of new apts, why not go check out some local art to add to your decor? :)
Third, I live way the heck in south Tulsa. I've found two black widow spiders in my garage in the past year. Not pleasant, but not that big of a deal...they're everywhere.

There are some nice apartments in Southeast Tulsa at 81st and HWY 169. Close access to 71st without the traffic, and the on-ramp to 169 north is right outside the gate. Best part is there's a 24 hour convenience store/gas station/burger king across from the main gate. What more can you ask from an apartment complex? Be prepared to pay some rent, tho.

Personally, I think you guys are nuts not to live at Westport for the first 2 years. You can't beat the convenience. I didn't see many spiders in my apartment, but I was probably lucky.

Athena918 said:
First, happy belated birthday osudoc.
Second, an advertisement: Many of you probably know that Mayfest starts today. But, also the "Blue Dome Art Festival" will be going on at the same time down the street at 2nd and Elgin. My friend Kristin Luce will be exhibiting her art, as will many other local artists. with all this talk of new apts, why not go check out some local art to add to your decor? :)
Third, I live way the heck in south Tulsa. I've found two black widow spiders in my garage in the past year. Not pleasant, but not that big of a deal...they're everywhere.

Thanks! I'm packing for Cancun tomorrow!

Members don't see this ad :)
So who all is planning on going to the admitted student day in June?

Fenrezz said:
Personally, I think you guys are nuts not to live at Westport for the first 2 years. You can't beat the convenience. I didn't see many spiders in my apartment, but I was probably lucky.

I saw a few when i moved in, but i dont see anymore around my apartment than I do any other place.

How long are each of the third year rotations? And how many of the electives have to be in primary care?

Congratulations to everyone who made it into the OSU-COM Class of 2009!

Here's a little bit of advice: take a break this summer, travel, just relax and have fun. If you're looking for an apartment or house keep in mind that commuting sucks. I first thought that it was a good idea to live about 15 minutes from school, but after first semester it got really old. Try to live close to school if at all possible. See you all at admitted student day.

Dustin

MechE said:
How long are each of the third year rotations? And how many of the electives have to be in primary care?

Each rotation is one month long, except for internal medicine and community hospital, which are both two months. Our class has to have 4 primary care electives and 4 specialty electives, although that may change or already has changed, so I don't know what the new numbers will be. Probably 3 primary care and 5 specialties.

Athena918 said:
How many of you will be in Tulsa this summer? I'm anxious to start meeting people...

I'll be around.

DireWolf said:
I'll be around.

Athena, listen to everything Direwolf says. He will set you straight about how things really work at the school.

And don't mind the groping. Just pinch the tip of his nose; it confuses him for a moment and he'll let go. :thumbup:

thank you Mr. Wolf and Mr. Chimp.
In response to Wendy, I don't know if I'm going to admitted student day--you? I went to the first one; it's nice in that your visitors get an idea of what the school is like, and you get to say hello to your new classmates, but most of what they talk about are things you probably already know.

Athena918 said:
thank you Mr. Wolf and Mr. Chimp.
In response to Wendy, I don't know if I'm going to admitted student day--you? I went to the first one; it's nice in that your visitors get an idea of what the school is like, and you get to say hello to your new classmates, but most of what they talk about are things you probably already know.

So Kilkenny's this Friday?

DireWolf said:
So Kilkenny's this Friday?

You've been asking me for years, and the answer is still NO!

I got accepted right after the first admitted student day, so I think I'll go to this one. I know it is all stuff I have heard before, but more than anything I just want to check out our classmates!

Wendy11 said:
So who all is planning on going to the admitted student day in June?

June what? As a latecomer to this party, I haven't seen any info yet.

OrthoFixation said:
June what? As a latecomer to this party, I haven't seen any info yet.

18th...thats all the info we have so far

Hey all... newbie to the forum here. Congrats to my '09 classmates, I look forward to meeting everyone! I'm hoping somebody can help me out - I must have my soccer fix in place before school, and pronto... so does anyone out there know of an indoor soccer arena in the Tulsa area that has a competitive league or even outdoor for all I care... I just wanted to go ahead and jump into it!!! Thanks guys... Miranda

oh and, sorry I forgot to add that I am going to try and go to the June 18th thing... :oops:) (just to meet classmates too, of course)

I'll try to make the June 18 gala. We just put a house under contract. The wheels are moving :thumbup:

DrMom said:
:thumbup:

You're not too far from me (91st & Sheridan)

I can't remember...do you have kids?

Yep, 1 kiddo who previously attended Union. School district was the first search home filter. If all goes as planned, we'll move the last week of June.

I saw the graduation pages. Everything looked very impressive. I couldn't figure out which one you were. Did you graduate or do you have one more year?

The match list looked varied and strong.

Dr. Mom, have you heard any talk of OSU getting a standardized patient (PC based)? They seem really useful. I'm hoping that some of the new tax windfall will get us one.

I still have one year left. It was a good match list (along with lots of family medicine to keep the school happy)

Haven't heard of any PC standardized patients. Of course, I'm not really around the school much.

We're in the Jenks district, but right across the street is Union. My kiddo goes to a private school, though.

Good luck with the move. :thumbup: Hopefully it will go smoothly.

Congratulations Class of 2009!

If any of you newbies are older students going back to school after being out of school awhile, give me a holler..... I'm one of the ancients of my class.

Kat

Make that MS II - Class 2008

Kat

What is the name of the lady who works in the financial aid office? I sent in my FAFSA March 1, but haven't heard anything since. Has anyone else made progress with his or her financial aid?

Thanks DrMom. For any other '09ers wondering about financial aid, Sandra said she hoped to get the award letters in the mail by the end of the week, and that the office has been busy setting up the loans for the third and fourth years. Basically, sit tight!

I emailed Sandra last week and she told me the same, but she confirmed she had my FASFA information. She said she was also busy with end of semester events.

They'll have you all taken care of well before school starts. You can always call and ask, though, to make sure that they have everything they need.

Athena918 said:
Thanks DrMom. For any other '09ers wondering about financial aid, Sandra said she hoped to get the award letters in the mail by the end of the week, and that the office has been busy setting up the loans for the third and fourth years. Basically, sit tight!

Thanks athena i've been wondering about our financial aid, i called back in april and she said mid may so i was wondering

I got the admitted student invite for 6/18 (snail and email). It sounds great.

Who's in?

What's this about the summer pre-histology course? Anyone know about length and hrs/day? Is it worthwhile?

I am in for admitted student day. I am really curious about the histo course too. Is it going to be with the bridge students? Also, I know a lot of you guys are married and have kids...are there any other youngsters in the group? :)

I think I am in for admitted day... however I am in Texas taking care of my recently widowed grandmother at the moment.. bit of a drive. :(
I am a youngster (23) but I will be getting married on July 4th. No kids... I assume that you, Wendy11, are also in your early 20's???? I really have tremendous respect for our "married w/ kids" colleagues... kudos to you right from the start!! You should be given a separate metal around your neck at graduation!

Athena918 said:

you stood me up at Kilkenny's. wtf

I'm 23 too, but no wedding bells anytime soon!

I'm 22 and admit that I was a little surprised at the number of "youngsters" starting school next year that are already engaged/married. so young! I think there were 8 people in my small group at admitted student day and 6 of them were wearing rings. I realize 8 people probably isn't representative of the whole class, nonetheless, it was surprising to go around the room and hear "married, married, married, married..." hey, congrats to them for finding happiness so early on.

On a side note, my apologies for not making it to kilkennys. My friends, boyfriend and I have plans to go out tomorrow night. I'll recommend kilkennys as one of the stops. That'd be fun to see some of you SDNers there :) cheers!

Athena918 said:
On a side note, my apologies for not making it to kilkennys. My friends, boyfriend and I have plans to go out tomorrow night. I'll recommend kilkennys as one of the stops. That'd be fun to see some of you SDNers there :) cheers!

bah. :thumbdown:

DireWolf said:
wah-wah. :) Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Anyone have a new topic they'd like to discuss? ...