OT: Goals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scb44f

Llamas and cattle and sheep, oh my!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I know we have the Rave thread, which is awesome for sharing what we've accomplished, but I figured we could share some of our current personal goals for the short- and long-term.

My goals:

Get a 4.0 this semester
Surpass 100 hours of LA vet experience (I have 75)
I'd say "Get into vet school" but I think that's a "duh" at this point
Plan a wedding...
Go dress shopping to appease my mom in the meantime

Go!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I would join in on the 4.0 goal, but a low B and a high C on the two tests in a non-curving class have ensured that I am not capable of making an A in the class. So, um... 13 hours of A and 3 hours of B? Blah.

Otherwise... hmm... I would like to read some books over Christmas break. Let's say... five? They have to be classics though. Tolstoy, Dickens, Austen. Ya know.

I also... would like to get back to playing my French Horn. It's sad to have a $3000 piece of metal sitting around.

Other than that... maybe a goal to make a few Christmas presents that I've been putting off? Things that involve sewing and drawing. Plus there's that necklace for my sister...

My goals are a bit silly. :hungover:

My goals are a bit silly. :hungover:

Nah, not silly. I actually just finished reading a book that I started way back before we went on the VIDA trip... and then put down for MONTHS. That whole reading thing is kinda nice to have around :thumbup:

I wish I could get back into playing music, but the only thing I was ever decent at was tuba, and I sure as heck don't have the funds to do that.

Also, I keep forgetting about Christmas shopping... maybe that should go on my to-do list...

Members don't see this ad :)
Here are some of my goals:

Short term:
Get at least an 85 average (We don't go by the 4.0 whatever scale here)
Get my drivers license
Figure out what I'm going to do with my life if I don't get into vet school
Get a social life (I've been working on that for sooo long though... I have no luck :( )

Long term:
Learn a second language
Own a dog
Earn enough for a living so that I can do some travelling
Learn to cook

Get at least a A- in immunology and pathophysiology
Start volunteering at the aviary
Start working out again

1. Get my butt to the gym and get back in shape. I lost my momentum this fall with applications and everything, and I feel icky.
2. Riding more - this coming season is likely to be my last show season with my horse. I'd KIND of like to move up a division, but I don't know if he'll hold up at 3'. Although achieving goal 1 might help! :rolleyes: Either way, the goal is to improve and end next season in the points for my division (aka win).
3. Get through my online animal nutrition course, which is so effing disorganized I haven't even started. :mad:
4. Go to Arkansas this spring to visit my best friend and her new baby! I haven't seen her in nearly 3 years because really, who goes to Arkansas, and they are so busy with the farm they haven't been able to come on our yearly excursions with our college friends.
5. Spend more quality time with my super-neglected boyfriend. Who is a super boyfriend, especially since he puts up with being neglected any time I am stressed with sick cats/dogsitting/classes/work/vet school applications. Which is most of the time... :laugh:
6. Maintain my A in endocrinology - just one more section exam, then the final in December to get through!

There are SO many more, but this list is about to get really long.

because really, who goes to Arkansas

Ahah, funny you should say that! My mother and I went to Arkansas for no particular reason a couple of spring breaks ago. We wanted to go somewhere and my mom likes to go to states she hasn't been to before. And really, who goes to Arkansas? So what better a place to go! We actually had a really awesome time: we went to the Peabody hotel where they have this adorable little duck parade and the ducks swim around in the fountain in the lobby. We also went to Oaklawn Park and saw Eight Belles run and had some epic road food (Roadfood.com, for those interested!) All in all, a good trip :D

Hah, good to know! My friend keeps trying to convince us that Arkansas actually has stuff to DO, but I'm dubious. ;) She and her hubby have an organic farm and horses, so I'm sure that'll keep us busy, but it's good to know that other people go, and have fun! I would LOVE to go to Oaklawn for a graded stakes day, though.

Short Term
1. Survive 1st year
2. Read the rest of Jane Austen's books (Just finished Pride & Prejudice)
3. Get some much needed sewing/house decorating done

Long Term
1. Survive Vet school
2. Get a job
3. Start a family

1. Get through this week! Genetics exam and paper due this Friday and an orgo quiz on Wednesday.
2. Make it home safely for Thanksgiving (10 hour drive :().
3. Research loan repayment options for LA vets. Parents recently told me that they will cover half of tuition!:D
4. Find an apartment for next year.
5. Try to get a 4.0 this semester. I will get 4.0's in orgo and physics lab, even if it kills me!

Short-term:
Get a B or higher on my chem exam coming up.
Take my dog to the dog park, before he goes crazy :laugh:
Go sledding.
Go to the Zoo.

Long Term:
Get a B or higher in at least one of my chem classes, I have a high C in Gen Chem 1 and it looks like it might happen again :( in Gen chem 2.
Get some LA experience this summer.

My goals:
1. Hopefully get a 4.0 this semester, but it's highly unlikely -- I have to do really good on my biochem final (aka - like a 100) to get an "A" in that class, and I have to do really really good on everything else in my herpetology class (like, 95+ on everything left) to get an "A", so I might have to settle for 1 or 2 "B"s :(
2. Lose 10-15 lbs. and get back in shape!
3. Ride both my horses consistently, and go to a few shows
4. Attempt to get second horse sold sometime (before May)

Out of all of those goals, #2 is going to be the hardest. I had lost about 7-8 lbs. back whenever the semester started, but the stress of school and applications caused me to gain it back, but I am determined to lose it! I just have to actually think about what I eat and take time to plan it out...

Members don't see this ad :)
Twelvetigers, don't tempt me!

Oh yeah, I forgot one...

Stop having this stupid cough so I can work out. Whoo trying to get in shape!

Short term: Survive this week.
Long term: Make it through the end of the semester.

Not that I don't have other goals, those are just the big ones right now.

Oooh, good thread!

Short Term:
1) Get accepted into this prestigious conference I'm submitting an abstract for. That would be awesome.
2) Get everything square away for my internship at a specialty hospital in January :love:
3) Get a 4.0 this semester (taking genetics, marine biology, and environmental chem and so far it's looking good :) )
4) Start my 7 year old pooch with agility training
5) Figure out a way to keep my cat from chewing my curtains (if anyone has any suggestions, positive reinforcement methods only please)--he does it while I'm sleeping and I've already pulled them out of his reach, he's a sly cat.
6) HARRY POTTER ON FRIDAY AT MIDNIGHT!!!!
7) TNR training at my shelter on Wednesday--so excited

Long Term
1) Get a job as a tech somewhere to boost my vet exp hours
2) Write my thesis (and get an A :xf:)
3) Present research at some national conference
4) Apply to vet school
5) Get accepted to vet school (see #4 if confusion ensues)
6) Get certified by an organization for Animal Disaster Relief--and go help out (I've wanted to do this since I've known they existed)
7) Learn how to cook
8) Find some LA vet experience
9) Get a boyfriend (ha)

Wow...that is really long. Sorry :)

Last edited:
short term:

1) Increase my average... well on my way if it was not for Organic Chem
2) Master mechanisms in organic chem so I can do well on the final
3) volunteer at a clinic
4) christmas shopping
5) Finish application for vet-med
6) Plan for a summer job/ animal experience

Long term:
1) get into vet school
2) travel
3) Buy another puppy

Good thread, scb44f! :) Most of my short term goals are distraction oriented because I am officially going crazy from waiting to hear back from schools. I'm a little ashamed that I only stayed calm for a month and a half after submitting. Sometimes I'm a little jealous that I don't have classes to take my mind off of things, which shows how seriously ill I must be. :p I'm going totally insane!! I'm obsessed... coming unglued... :oops: Must. Achieve. Zen-like. State.

1. Learn how to crochet. I vow to do this nearly every winter. One of my grandmas that I hardly knew was great at it. Now that she's gone and I know I'll never get to know her better, I somehow feel that learning how will bring me closer to her. Plus I like being crafty. :D I started my first project last week!!

2. Lose 15ish pounds... always hard to do, but it will be much harder now that the holidays are near! I've lost a lot over the past year, but things have plateaued for sure. Hopefully I can get past it and finally be at my goal weight! I want to try some odd forms of exercise like bellydancing! And I've always wanted to take up yoga.

3. Cook more. Could be kind of counterproductive to my last goal, but I want to make healthy foods and try new recipes and new ingredients.

4. Make a personal cookbook. All of our family recipes are scribbled on scrap paper and are stained and such... generally disorganized. If I am lucky enough to be accepted anywhere it definitely means I'll be leaving the only home I've ever known, so it might be nice to be able to make some things that remind me of home.

5. Take more day trips. I'm always ashamed that people who have come here from other states have seen more of my own state than I have! Even though that Arizona is not the most exciting place on earth, it certainly does have beautiful spots. I went up to Sedona and the Grand Canyon last week (both places I have been a few times) and they reminded me that I have much to explore.

6. Finish my research project. I'm still working on it even though I graduated in May and it was for course credit, but after coming this far I would never think of not finishing it! I just need to finish writing up my paper and then submit it to a journal... I'm so pumped.

7. Read more. I always say this, so it's a goal I will probably always have. I'm ashamed that I have yet to read many vet staples (Herriot, anyone??). I think I might start on this goal today. :D

8. Try not to focus on "the lasts". I have already found myself doing the "this could be my last ______ living here" thing (ex: Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years). Hopeful thinking. Hopeful but sad thinking, that is.

9. Take more baths and/or take up soap making! I don't know when I turned into such a girl.

10. Go to the midnight showing of Harry Potter and then NOT sleep through work the next morning. :laugh: I'm scheduled to work at 8 AM. It's going to be a rough day.

OMG... I wrote a lot. :oops:

1. Get only As and Bs this semester. GCII lecture is a high C and GCII lab is a low C but if I bust my butt (especially in lab), I should be able to swing Bs in those two classes (with my other three classes being As).

2. Tying into my first goal: go to chemistry lab help every week from here on out! I don't care if I feel awkward in their poorly organized room with no visible TAs. I will drag a friend with me and how that helps.

3. No more junk food for lunch. If I must buy at school, it will be salad or sandwiches. No more fast food.

4(?). Find something fun to do over winter break. Trip, activity, something.

While I like to plan for the future, I'm doing my best to take things one step at a time and keep myself focused, so I'm not going to post any longer term goals. Maybe once this semester is over and done with, I'll post a new set of goals. It will help me stay on track :)

Short term:
1. It's a long shot, but a 4.0 this semester was my initial goal... I have an 88 in both microbiology and physics. My chances of an A are MUCH higher in micro than in physics though! (funny I should say that, I'm posting right now while I should be studying for micro).

I'm just afraid of saying "I can't make a 4.0 this semester" because then I won't try. If I say "I WILL make a 4.0 this semester." Then I'm a lot more likely to put in the effort necessary because I'm actively trying to make that 4.0 rather than having a laid back attitude that I can't so why bother trying.

2. Really really short term: make a 95-100 on the microbiology test on tuesday.

3. Get in to vet clinics and start shadowing/volunteering. I have ZERO clinic experience hours... and I'm going to be applying for the first time next fall now! (thanks to my adviser who pointed out that all I have left after next semester is organic and bio chem, and I can take organic in the summer back home).

4. Start working out as often as possible. Not committing to every day because in the days leading up to exams I don't work out.

Long term:

1. REALLY long term - lose 50 lbs

2. Bring my average GPA up to a 3.75 (currently at a 3.65).

3. Get in to vet school! (always a good goal to have when you're pre-vet, I suppose... lol)

Gah, I'll be driving 12+ hours from Boston to Ohio to visit my parents at their new house for Christmas...

I'm going the opposite direction for Thanksgiving - Ohio to Boston to visit the family! I've been doing crazy, crazy long drives alone since I was 18, and I actually really love it. My boyfriend is coming with me, and don't tell him, but I honestly prefer doing the drive alone! It gives me time to think, listen to music, and when I have a headset, talk on the phone :rolleyes:
Just take your time and be careful. Make sure you have lots of good music, plenty of water and snacks easily handy in the front seat, and that you know where you're going!

Short term:
1) 4.0 (or higher) semester this semester (we're on a 4.3 scale)
2) 3.7 next semester (I have to take Org Chem II, and I'm hoping to squeak out a B-...)
3) Get an AVC interview (Okay, that's out of my hands now, but I can post it and hope for the best, right?)
4) Ride more! Life is getting in the way of ponies far too often.

Long term:
1) Lose 20 pounds
2) Move to the next division with my mare and try to get another championship on her
3) Get accepted to AVC
4) Graduate (finally!) with distinction

I see a lot of diversity in this thread!

here it goes!

Short term goals include
1. Ace Biochem and Animal nutrition to increase overall GPA
2. Figure out how I am going to repay my student loans if I do not get into vet school next year (see#5).
3. Get into vet school!
4. Run a half-Marathon
5. Find a new Job related more to my Master's (Lab Animal Science)

Long term goals
1. Do well in Veterinary school and land an awesome residency in Lab Animal Medicine.
2. Buy a house!
3. Travel more!
4. Run a marathon
5. After several years practicing Lab. Animal Medicine at a University or in Industry, find a position working with one of the regulatory affairs organizations (NIH, USDA, FDA)

I'm going to start Couch to 5k over the winter break. I found a podcast the other day that has everything timed out for you so you don't have to keep looking at your watch (what turned it off for me the first time I tried). I know there's apps for that, but I don't have a smart phone (not willing to pay an additional $15 - $30 / mo.) so they don't help me. At the very least, my dog will love it.

Otherwise... hmm... I would like to read some books over Christmas break. Let's say... five? They have to be classics though. Tolstoy, Dickens, Austen. Ya know.
Ditto, except not so much on the classics bit. My reading list is long and varied and if I can finish just two or three over Christmas, I'll be happy. Also have a computer game or two I'd like to get through.

I also... would like to get back to playing my French Horn. It's sad to have a $3000 piece of metal sitting around.
I tried getting back to playing mine in college and it takes a long time to get the ambesure (however the hell you spell it) back. Also cut up my lips a lot from the stress on them and gave me hella mouth ulcers. Hope you can stick it out better than I! Play the adcoms a sweet serenade on the most beautiful sounding instrument ever.

:thumbup:

4. Run a marathon

I hope to have completed Philly Marathon 1 week from today!

Other goals:
- Get a good start to my thesis lit review (soon).
- Try to see as many friends as possible over thanksgiving break

Longer term:
- apply and get into vet school (and graduate!)
- complete a triathlon
- qualify for the Boston marathon
- maybe audition for my college's philharmonic orchestra?

I don't have any real short term goals that are really major. Mostly just getting through this quarter with as good of grades as I can manage.

For a really weird long term goal, I've decided that next year, my New Year's resolution is gonna be to try at least one new thing a day. It can be something as silly as trying something new off a menu or something as hard for me as, say, saying hello to everyone that I make eye contact with. (I think up things like this far too early.) My ultimate goal with that is to lessen my fear of new things. XD I'll probably start small and work my way up to harder things.

I also want to learn another language, learn archery, and learn how to use throwing knives. Random, useless, and dangerous, but it seems like it'd be fun. :laugh:

Ditto, except not so much on the classics bit. My reading list is long and varied and if I can finish just two or three over Christmas, I'll be happy. Also have a computer game or two I'd like to get through.

I'm dead-set on classics, or at least critically-acclaimed novels (like the Time Travelers Wife, that was worth my time for sure). I feel like a dolt because I have never read Pride and Prejudice or Of Mice and Men, so I'm trying to catch up. And I do read quickly, even through the thickest of dialogue (like Tess of the D'urbervilles by Hardy) so I might as well take advantage of that!

I tried getting back to playing mine in college and it takes a long time to get the ambesure (however the hell you spell it) back. Also cut up my lips a lot from the stress on them and gave me hella mouth ulcers. Hope you can stick it out better than I! Play the adcoms a sweet serenade on the most beautiful sounding instrument ever.

Embouchure. :) I can't imagine it giving me mouth ulcers! I get it out every once in a while. I can still play several of the scales, but my upper range sounds terrible. I need to go get a couple of music books when I go to the city next. What I really miss, though, is playing in a group. I still remember the warm fuzzies I would get from playing the epic horn parts in Irish Tune from County Derry by Grainger... probably my favorite orchestral piece of all time...

http://www.amazon.com/Irish-Tune-from-County-Derry/dp/B001P5N4WA

Last edited:
TT, you HAVE to read Pride & Prejudice. I read it over and over and it never gets old.

I think I'll just stick to the short term goals since it feels like time is measured in exams rather than days.

1) Achieve a 4.0 semester. This one might be a reach, but that's what goals are for, right?
2) Morph said semester into some form of clinical application while working this winter
3) Feel like a normal person again: work, read things I will not be tested on, routinely cook real dinner- nothing frozen!, spend time with the fam and non-school friends, increase proficiency with my newest piece of metal at the range, snuggle with my dog without assessing what muscle or nerve is involved in (fill in the blank) pose
4) Sleep without dreaming of Manchurians and their ANS, or their acid/base abnormalities

Short term:

1. See Harry Potter :D
2. Pass Gen Chm 1 with a "C"
3. If (2) does not happen, retake Gen Chm 1 to get a "C"
4. Earn my AA in Biology at the end of winter term
5. Transfer to FSU for my junior/senior year
6. Get an animal related summer job

Long term:

1. Survive another semester away from my boyfriend
2. Do some kind of study abroad trip
3. Earn massive amounts of experience hours
4. Get my BA
5. Live with boyfriend
6. Apply & get accepted to vet school!

And experience a perfect state of euthanasia.

Hmmm.....vet school's bad but it's not *that* bad (yet!). You should seek alternatives.

I'm going to start Couch to 5k over the winter break.

My mom did Couch to 5k and successfully completed two or three 5ks! I was so proud of her because, though I love her, she never was the running or exercising sort. She's going to do another "Turkey Trot" this year on Thanksgiving :p

Good luck to you!

I did the Couch 2 5K this summer and ran 2 5ks in the following months. It was great. I've NEVER been a runner and the only athletic thing I've ever been good at is riding horses, so to accomplish that was a huge deal for me. Running is now a hobby of mine, something that I never would have dreamed was possible. If you just stick with it through the first couple of weeks it becomes addicting.

I did the Couch 2 5K this summer and ran 2 5ks in the following months. It was great. I've NEVER been a runner and the only athletic thing I've ever been good at is riding horses, so to accomplish that was a huge deal for me. Running is now a hobby of mine, something that I never would have dreamed was possible. If you just stick with it through the first couple of weeks it becomes addicting.

I've not known anyone personally who completed C25k, so it's good to know you guys like it. My interest has been piqued.

Haha, everything I posted is a direct quote from our physiology professor. Apparently, you haven't lived until you've experienced euthanasia, the happy death.

I think I need to add drinking beer in the jungle to my list. You know, add a little adventure to my life. lol. and then eat some heroin, because, you know, it's delicious!

You guys are going to make people think that all the professors here are insane, when really, it's just the one... haha. And you know it makes your life more interesting.

1. Sounds terrible but at this point I just want to pass all my classes this semester. I don't know what happened, its like I won the lottery for the worst professors this semester.
-Microbiology only 9 students of 159 passed the last exam
-My genetics professor just told me he lost my exam I took on Thursday
-My Stats class is so disorganized.
I do believe I will get an A in physics and Orgo atleast.

2. Get more equine vet experience.

3. Move up a level in eventing on my horse.

Short term goals:
Accepted to vet school, sell the house, find one big enough and cheap enough to rent 15 miles north of me. Resign my commission, terminate jump status, take 80 or so days of leave.

OR

Move to Augusta, GA for 6 mo, living life as a nomad by sleeping in my truck, in a tent, or on someone's couch.
Hope that I get stationed back at Ft. Bragg, but not with the 82nd Airborne.

Long term
Vet route: Assigned to Ft. Bragg as my initial duty station. Move the the UK branch for my second. This puts me at 6/10 years until retirement. Move back to Bragg to finish out and retire to the Wilmington area and open a mobile clinic focusing on live stock.

Other route: Continue to apply to vet schools. Finish up Army career in some field. Retire in 2021 and move to Wilmington. Let wife earn the money while I teach scuba diving.

I don't know what happened, its like I won the lottery for the worst professors this semester.
My wife has a prof who asked for the mechanism of some action on an exam. She gave him the entire cellular process. He marked it wrong because he was looking for the physiological response, not the mechanism. He said she was right, but it wasn't what he was looking for.

My wife has a prof who asked for the mechanism of some action on an exam. She gave him the entire cellular process. He marked it wrong because he was looking for the physiological response, not the mechanism. He said she was right, but it wasn't what he was looking for.

That sounds terribly upsetting! Oh professors, they sure know how to push buttons.