OT: Plays.. Any good ones in NYC?

Started by CatPartay
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CatPartay

Ross 2015
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, I am not a play person, but I have to see one and write a paper on it for an english class. Just wondering if anyone has seen any good plays in NYC or long island area. I looked for the last hour online and can not find any that look decent. ugh.
I really need to be studying biochem and clinical pathology instead of wasting my time on a play. Plus they are so expenisive!🙁
 
So, I am not a play person, but I have to see one and write a paper on it for an english class. Just wondering if anyone has seen any good plays in NYC or long island area. I looked for the last hour online and can not find any that look decent. ugh.
I really need to be studying biochem and clinical pathology instead of wasting my time on a play. Plus they are so expenisive!🙁

Does it need to be a straight-play or can it be a musical? If it's the latter, I know lots 🙂
 
I'm not much of a play person either, but I was part of this club in high school and we occasionally went to see plays on field trips. I know this is a really popular one, and probably more expensive, but Wicked was honestly very good. I also saw Julius Caesar when Denzel Washington was starring in it and I'm trying to think of the other one I saw, which was actually pretty funny but it's probably not running right now.

According to a Broadway site, The Lion King, Mary Poppins, Chicago, Phantom of the Opera, etc are playing and I would imagine those all to be good as well.

If you go Off Broadway, it looks like they have the Blue Man Group (they were interesting) Avenue Q (i think my friend said that one is good), Stomp and Rent which I would think to be alright as well. Of course, these are all fairly well known.

Sorry, I'm not too helpful. I have a friend who is really into musicals and whatnot so I have a vague idea of ones that are supposed to be decent.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Try Theater Three in Port Jeff. Always a good show, cheap ticket prices, and probably not too bad a walk from the train station if you dont want to drive.

There's also nice little theaters in Northport and Smithtown, but I havent been there in ages. They might not even be around anymore.

Or look for a high school play. They're generally cheap. Chaminade puts on some pretty amazing ones- or at least they did when my brother was running the show there lol.
 
Try Theater Three in Port Jeff. Always a good show, cheap ticket prices, and probably not too bad a walk from the train station if you dont want to drive.

There's also nice little theaters in Northport and Smithtown, but I havent been there in ages. They might not even be around anymore.

Or look for a high school play. They're generally cheap. Chaminade puts on some pretty amazing ones- or at least they did when my brother was running the show there lol.

Ahh. I can't even escape Chaminade on these boards. I went to undergrad with like a million of them...one ended up becoming a best friend though. I act like I hate the place just to annoy him. =)
 
It has to be a play.. I wish I could see a musical. War horse looks good but prob sad. I'm thinking Freuds last session but I know the SO will fall asleep.. I will check out the playhouses in long island. I have to go this friday because paper is due November 4 and that is like my only night free between work and school. So I will have to miss my Friday night shows Fringe and blue bloods. I am very upset! Lol
 
My favorites are:

Chicago
Avenue Q
Phantom of the Opera

If you're looking for a timeless classic, definitely Phantom and Chicago. However, Avenue Q is really funny and wildly entertaining. Never thought I'd witness puppet sex ... but I did. :laugh:
 
My favorites are:

Chicago
Avenue Q
Phantom of the Opera

If you're looking for a timeless classic, definitely Phantom and Chicago. However, Avenue Q is really funny and wildly entertaining. Never thought I'd witness puppet sex ... but I did. :laugh:

Those are musicals...OP said he has to see a play 😉
 
My parents saw "How to Succeed in Business" a few weekends ago (with Daniel Radcliffe) and really enjoyed it.

There is some box office that you can visit the day of and get cheaper tickets. This might be it:
http://www.tdf.org/TDF_ServicePage.aspx?id=56

This is also a musical. Lol

Broadway.com has a list of plays and musicals. These are the current plays, Broadway and Off-Broadway. You can read synopses and reviews online (broadway.com, browadwayworld.com, playbill.com)




I've also heard the War Horse is excellent. Unfortunately, I can't be of much more help than that because I don't see straight plays enough to have an opinion. Good luck!
 
Disney's the Lion King (personally, I've seen it four times in various cities, including NY). It's incredible how the production crew generated Mufasa's ghost and the Wildebeast stampede on stage. You'll love the opening sequence.

War Horse (although I haven't seen it yet, I did see a fabulous TED talk detailing the amazing puppetry used in the production. This play won numerous Tony Awards, and achieved rave reviews from the critics. I can't wait to see it!)
 
If you have to see a play, I would recommend either taking cowgirla's advice (Yes, Theater Three is still standing!) or finding an Off Broadway (or even Off Off Broadway) show. Nice cheap seats. 🙂

I personally would LOVE to see Mountaintop, but I think getting tickets might be difficult considering the headliners. Also, there are some fun looking ones like Say Goodnight Gracie and the well reviewed Other Desert Cities.

Here are a couple of links for NYC plays (have reviews and other goodies).

http://www.newyorkcitytheatre.com/index_plays.php

http://www.nytheatre.com/listings.aspx?t=plays



Good luck!! :luck: And let us know what you end up seeing!!