OT: Q's about puppies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dee vee emm

Future DVM
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hopefully these questions are okay to ask on here ...
So I have been thinking the past little bit about getting a puppy. And for those of you that have dogs already and have gone through this, would you say it's better to get a male or female? (I'm thinking a mini female dachshund, that's what I've got my heart set on--and I promise the next one I get will be a rescue dog!).

Also, I have a 1 1/2 year old cat so if any of you have any tips or hints on how to introduce the puppy to the cat, without the cat getting mad (if you've gone through this too) I'd appreciate it... [again if this is against forum rules I apologize]. When I go and visit my parents I bring her with me and they have a cat that was a stray I caught a month before I got my cat so she's cool with him... but she's not too fond of other cats (I brought a cat home from my clinic a couple weekends when we were looking for a home for that cat--just so she could get out of the cage, and my cat "tolerated" the other one...they had hissing and staring matches... but I know that takes time too for them to get used to each other if I would have kept that other cat--she was an older cat too). Anyways... I'm hoping my cat will adjust if it's a puppy (she's not a huge fan of the chihuahua my parents have either). Or would you think I don't have a good chance of her accepting another animal?

And finally... if you've gotten a dog training book before what would you recommend is the best one??

Thanks so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

My family has had dogs of either sex, and I honestly don't think it matters what the sex is as long as it is spayed/neutered. A lot of the issues people have that are related to a dog's sex is if it is un-neutered, but that shouldn't be an issue for you. Also, just to keep in mind, make sure you check petfinder.com for dachsund puppies that could be adoptable in your area, and check with your humane society- it's amazing the number of purebred dogs that are without a home. With regard to introducing a new puppy to your cat, I would look up an puppy/dog raising type of "handbook"; a good all-around dog book is the ASPCA guide to dogs by Dr. Fogle. It's a good one to have since it introduces you to the majority of dog breeds, common behaviors, common illnesses, etc. It also gives instructions on introducing new animals into a home. You could also ask your veterinarian or local accredited dog trainer. Hope this helps!