General Admissions & OTCAS OT schools in Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tsunamiBae07

Reaction score
Hello guys,

Can someone tell me which schools they get accepted in Illinois?
Also, can you please share your stats and what is the advice you can give to other applicants? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

hi! i got accepted to North Central and Lewis University in Illinois, and will be attending Lewis University in a few weeks. I got waitlisted at Midwestern, and at Elmhurst, however Elmhurst contacted me in July saying they would be starting to take people off the wait list if I was still interested. I had already committed to Lewis University at that point so I declined. I got rejected at UIC, and I declined the interview for Rush because they wanted me to pay additional money to interview there.
Here are my stats:
Undergraduate: Elmhurst College
GPA: 3.55
GRE: Verbal: 154 Quantitative: 148 A.W.: 4.0
Volunteer: volunteering in church nursery since 2007
Shadowing Hours: 150 total: 100 pediatric (school), 30 geriatric (nursing home), 8 hospital (inpatient and outpatient), and 12 alternative (Adaptive water skiing)
Work: 3 years working as a one on one aide within a regular park district camp for a child with special needs
Letters of rec: anatomy and physiology professor, 2 OT's, volunteer supervisor, Abnormal psychology professor

What i recommend is get your application in early. Don't wait until October or November to turn in your apps even if the school is not rolling admissions. The schools look at how quickly you get in your application and it can make you seem more efficient. Be prepared for group interviews at Elmhurst and Rush. I may be biased, but the best programs (that I applied to and visited) have seemed to be Lewis University and Midwestern University because they are extremely professional there about everything.
Don't worry if admissions doesn't get back to you right away, it takes awhile. I sent everything in August and didn't hear back from my first school until November.
Ask questions during your interview, it makes you look more interested in the program!
I hope that helps! It is stressful, but you will get through this!!

hi! i got accepted to North Central and Lewis University in Illinois, and will be attending Lewis University in a few weeks. I got waitlisted at Midwestern, and at Elmhurst, however Elmhurst contacted me in July saying they would be starting to take people off the wait list if I was still interested. I had already committed to Lewis University at that point so I declined. I got rejected at UIC, and I declined the interview for Rush because they wanted me to pay additional money to interview there.
Here are my stats:
Shadowing Hours: 150 total: 100 pediatric (school), 30 geriatric (nursing home), 8 hospital (inpatient and outpatient), and 12 alternative (Adaptive water skiing)
Work: 3 years working as a one on one aide within a regular park district camp for a child with special needs
Letters of rec: anatomy and physiology professor, 2 OT's, volunteer supervisor, Abnormal psychology professor

What i recommend is get your application in early. Don't wait until October or November to turn in your apps even if the school is not rolling admissions. The schools look at how quickly you get in your application and it can make you seem more efficient. Be prepared for group interviews at Elmhurst and Rush. I may be biased, but the best programs (that I applied to and visited) have seemed to be Lewis University and Midwestern University because they are extremely professional there about everything.
Don't worry if admissions doesn't get back to you right away, it takes awhile. I sent everything in August and didn't hear back from my first school until November.
Ask questions during your interview, it makes you look more interested in the program!

Hi! Thank you for responding!!

Congrats tho! I just wanna get into the OT program. I’m just worried about Lewis and north Central College because they are not yet accredited. But I’m still going to apply there tho.

You have a great stats tho! I’m just worried about my GRE scores because I only have 3.5 in AW and most schools accept 4 above scores . :| but my Undergrad GPA - 3.8 and prerequisites GPA - 3.5.

I have over 200 observation and volunteer hours.
I work as a paraprofessional educator among students with special needs
My Recommendation letters are from my work supervisor, OT, and a professor.

I’m just hoping I get into the OT program for next year. (Crossed fingers)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Thank you for responding!!

Congrats tho! I just wanna get into the OT program. I’m just worried about Lewis and north Central College because they are not yet accredited. But I’m still going to apply there tho.

You have a great stats tho! I’m just worried about my GRE scores because I only have 3.5 in AW and most schools accept 4 above scores . :| but my Undergrad GPA - 3.8 and prerequisites GPA - 3.5.

I have over 200 observation and volunteer hours.
I work as a paraprofessional educator among students with special needs
My Recommendation letters are from my work supervisor, OT, and a professor.

I’m just hoping I get into the OT program for next year. (Crossed fingers)

With those stats you'll be fine to get in. Lewis and North central will receive accreditation most likely, I have never heard of a school not passing the ACOTE certification. I am sure that with a good personal statement and all of the prerequisites done, you should at least get interviews to the schools. Be patient, as it takes FOREVER for them to get back to anybody. You can do it!

Here are my stats:

How do you like Lewis University so far?

Reactions: 1 users
Here are my stats:

Hey how are you doing in the OT program?

I got an interview at North Central College last week of October. I wonder if you still remember some interview questions and tips on how to prepare for the interview. Thank you

Hey how are you doing in the OT program?

I got an interview at North Central College last week of October. I wonder if you still remember some interview questions and tips on how to prepare for the interview. Thank you
I love Lewis University!! the teachers are absolutely amazing there and care so much, and the classes are super interesting. Congratulations on your interview to North Central!! To be honest, I really don't remember the interview questions, my suggestion is to look up typical interview questions online and go through those and think how you would answer them if you were asked. Don't be that person though who comes in with a notebook full of your prepared statements on what you want to say, because that makes you seem more like a robot than a person.
Now for me anyways, the interviewers at north central were not teachers, they were actual OT's from the field, I am not sure if this will change or not for this year. Heads up, I don't want to discourage you from going there, but they are a bit disorganized. I'm sure though that it is because they are a new program and just starting out. Bring a notebook with you and be ready to take notes. Also ask questions! you will look better as a candidate if you ask questions about the program.
Please let me know what happens with the interview!! Best of luck!!

How do you like Lewis University so far?
I absolutely love their program!!!! The teachers there are fantastic!!!! The head of the program actually built Midwestern's doctorate program, so she totally knows what she is talking about. Another teacher came from Elmhurst college as well.
We have the opportunity to do level 1 fieldwork in Ecuador in the spring which is pretty awesome for level one!
The teachers at Lewis care a lot about us, and have let us do retakes and rewrites on things we didn't do well on to help us get our grades back up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I love Lewis University!! the teachers are absolutely amazing there and care so much, and the classes are super interesting. Congratulations on your interview to North Central!! To be honest, I really don't remember the interview questions, my suggestion is to look up typical interview questions online and go through those and think how you would answer them if you were asked. Don't be that person though who comes in with a notebook full of your prepared statements on what you want to say, because that makes you seem more like a robot than a person.
Now for me anyways, the interviewers at north central were not teachers, they were actual OT's from the field, I am not sure if this will change or not for this year. Heads up, I don't want to discourage you from going there, but they are a bit disorganized. I'm sure though that it is because they are a new program and just starting out. Bring a notebook with you and be ready to take notes. Also ask questions! you will look better as a candidate if you ask questions about the program.
Please let me know what happens with the interview!! Best of luck!!

Thank youu! So Lewis University emailed me and told me to repeat my GRE for higher chances :(
I might retake it next year tho.

Does Lewis University has interview?
I’m so nervous I just want to get into the program.

Thank youu! So Lewis University emailed me and told me to repeat my GRE for higher chances :(
I might retake it next year tho.

Does Lewis University has interview?
I’m so nervous I just want to get into the program.
the average GRE score for our program was a 297. there was no interview for our cohort, i don't know if they will change that for the next one. if you can get your gre up to around 297, your chance should be decent!

How far after applying, and receiving the verification e-mail, to Midwestern did people hear back for an interview? I received the confirmation e-mail on 9/27 and haven't heard anything yet.
my friend sent in her application in august and got an interview invitation last week. i had applied to midwestern in august also and didnt hear back from them until october last year

the average GRE score for our program was a 297. there was no interview for our cohort, i don't know if they will change that for the next one. if you can get your gre up to around 297, your chance should be decent!

When did you know that you get accepted?

When did you know that you get accepted?
because our program didn't receive pre accreditation status until May 1st, I didn't hear back until May 10th ish. I know it will be a sooner decision this year than last year most likely.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone hear anything from UIC yet? My application status on their website says "Under Review with the Department." Is this a standard status or is it actually being reviewed? Their website says they may begin reviewing in October, so not sure.

It says the same thing for me. I'm not sure when that will change, but getting antsy!

I just got an e-mail this morning from UIC that they received my OTCAS application for review (even though I submitted it in August) so maybe they are starting reviews?

I got that email as well! Hopefully they are starting.

I received an email for UIC today as well. Good Luck!

What are your stats if you guys don't mind me asking?

Mine are

GRE: 308
GPA:3.3 (low I know)
Prereq GPA: 4.0
Shadowing: Over 500 hours Mostly outpatient Pedes, and some Hand therapy
LOR: 1 OT that I worked with for years, 2 Professors, one is a department head for Health Admin Masters program

Did anyone apply to Rush for their early application deadline, 10/15? I wonder how soon notifications will be now since the date has passed.
I heard back from Rush today (10/18) about receiving an interview. I'm not sure if they sent out their invitations in bulk, but hopefully you hear back soon if you haven't already! Good luck!

I heard back from Rush today (10/18) about receiving an interview. I'm not sure if they sent out their invitations in bulk, but hopefully you hear back soon if you haven't already! Good luck!
Did Rush email you or call you about receiving an interview?

Has anyone heard back from UIC aside from the email stating they received our applications?

Last edited:
Has anyone heard back from UIC aside from the email stating they received our applications?
Nope. I don't anticipate to hear from them until January... The wait is killing me!

When did you submit?
My OTCAS was verified mid-September. The deadline to accept the interview was last Friday so they may be allowing more people in soon if the spots are not all full. Good luck!

I have known people who haven't heard back from Rush until Spring, so I don't think they finalize decisions far before Christmas.
Oh sorry I meant an interview spot not a spot in their program yet. I'm sure they will be doing multiple rounds of interviews

Does anyone know what the group interview at rush entails??

I heard UIC started sending out some acceptances, has anyone heard from them?
I was accepted on Tuesday! I think they typically send out the bulk of their acceptances in March so there's still plenty of time. Good luck!

How far after applying, and receiving the verification e-mail, to Midwestern did people hear back for an interview? I received the confirmation e-mail on 9/27 and haven't heard anything yet.
I got an interview invitation from Midwestern exactly a week from receiving confirmation that they received my OTCAS application.

Some additional information you or others may find useful:
On the interview day, admissions told us that last year they received 800 applications, and they typically receive about 1,000. However, they only interview 150 candidates, and there are only 50 spots. They also told us that they have conducted interviews into March and April in previous years. Additionally, if you get wait listed, it's not a ranked system by your stats or anything. They only pull people off the wait list who have continued to show interest in the program by contacting them, sending additional LORs, and sending letters of interest.

I heard UIC started sending out some acceptances, has anyone heard from them?
UIC has a set date for notification of acceptance (or rejection) for their program. However, I spoke to one of their admissions reps, and if your application is really strong or really poor they notify early. I think their notification date is March 15th though, but have a look at their website, it's listed there for sure.

Did anyone apply to Governors State and if you did have you heard back? Their deadline was 10/31

I applied to UIC and have not heard back.

Also, heard back from North Central and got accepted!

Last edited:
Also, unlike UIC where you have to wait a couple semesters before doing things like ROM and MMT, Lewis had us doing those already and its only the 6th week of the school year. If you have any other questions, please let me know!!

I’d caution people pretty severely against taking this anecdote too seriously. I’m a UIC alumnus, and it’s true that I didn’t do ROM or MMT until the second semester if I recall correctly, but I am more than capable of performing MMT and ROM with my patients and I have tens of thousands of dollars less debt than I would at a different school.

Choose your school for whatever reason you’d like, but I wouldn’t advise choosing it based on starting ROM or MMT earlier. Personally, I’d recommend UIC or Chicago State above all others for cost saving alone - UIC has the nice bonus of being so well regarded, but ultimately very few employers will care where you went to school.

Yeah I read that on the website, but I read blogs from last year's cycle and people heard back on many different dates ranging from early November, to mid December, to early Jan, to the March date, so I think its pretty scattered! And they label it ask "modified rolling"
I have heard back from UIC, and I gave been offered admissions. I applied in early September.

Does anyone know if it is possible to interview at Rush for a different interview session than you are offered? I was offered an interview for 1/4 but will be out of the country on this date. I sent an email and left a voicemail but have not heard back. Kind of weird considering they want an answer by tomorrow.

Received my acceptance to Rush last night. Just need to decide between there and NAU. Good luck to everyone who is waiting.

Received my acceptance to Rush last night. Just need to decide between there and NAU. Good luck to everyone who is waiting.
Congrats!! When was your Rush interview?

Did anyone apply to Governors State and if you did have you heard back? Their deadline was 10/31

I applied to UIC and have not heard back.

Also, heard back from North Central and got accepted!

Are you going to attend north central?

Congrats on your acceptance! Could I ask what your stats are?

Congrats on your acceptance! Could I ask what your stats are?

Undergrad University: Whitworth University
Major: BA in Community Health. Graduated in May 2018.
Overall GPA: 3.85
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: 310 combined, 4.5 W

Experience: 2 summers as a camp counselor with muscular dystrophy association, 1 year mentor for high school students with disabilities, currently employed full-time as a direct support professional for adults with disabilities

I know this is for Illinois, but has anyone heard from UW-Madison or Carroll? Last year, people started hearing from them around this time.

I haven’t heard from those two, but I did get an email about filling out an online scholarship form for UW. Did you get that email also?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I haven't heard from Carroll or Elmhurst yet! I know last year Carroll sent out acceptances on January 15th, so hopefully we will be hearing back soon!

Hey, yes I accepted! HBY?

Hi! Congrats on your acceptance to North Central! When was your interview and when did you hear about being admitted? I had an interview there on January 11th, so I'm just curious on what the timing is.

Thanks!

Just got waitlisted at Elmhurst. Anyone else?!