OU-HCOM vs KCUMB, should I go to KCUMB interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tourocom2008

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, looking for advise here. I was recently accepted to OU-HCOM, and have an interview coming up in a week for kansas city university (KCUMB). I was wondering if I should cancel and save the flight mileage for something else (I am flying from Ohio). In state tuition is cheaper at OU, but the tuition hike for years 3 and 4 at OU-HCOM only makes it 10,000 dollars cheaper overall in tuition. I also really like OU and their opportunities, and am not sure if I will like KCU as much. Please let me know what you think. Thank you for the help ahead of time

Members don't see this ad.

If you're from Ohio and want to stay in Ohio, go to Ohio. It's a public DO program with many opportunities in an awesome state for medicine. Don't know why you'd want to leave

If you're from Ohio and want to stay in Ohio, go to Ohio. It's a public DO program with many opportunities in an awesome state for medicine. Don't know why you'd want to leave
Just trying to figure out the best options. I am open to living out of state. I also would like to go to the best school I can, meaning the one that is a best fit for me and has the most opportunities. Would you say that a public school has more opportunities? Thank you for the help

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just trying to figure out the best options. I am open to living out of state. I also would like to go to the best school I can, meaning the one that is a best fit for me and has the most opportunities. Would you say that a public school has more opportunities? Thank you for the help

Definitely public has more opportunities. Ohio is a great state to learn medicine if you're from Ohio. I wouldn't consider anything else if you have an acceptance from OU-HCOM already.

Definitely public has more opportunities. Ohio is a great state to learn medicine if you're from Ohio. I wouldn't consider anything else if you have an acceptance from OU-HCOM already.
Okay thank you! I was thinking that but I wasn't sure, nice for some reassurance

Both good schools but with you being from ohio and OU-HCOM being a state school, going to OU-HCOM should be a no brainer!

Personally I would interview at KCU as well just to see if it's a better fit

If the interview won't put you in a tough financial spot, I'd still go. Options are nice.

Worth noting that KCU and OUHCOM actually share some rotation sites in Ohio (along with a few others). I ran into students from both on my last rotation. OUHCOM is slowly pushing out the others from their Cleveland sites though as they expand that campus.

OU is a great school. An ENT DO I got my LOR from is an alumni of their osteopathic school and he is a phenomenal physician!

If the interview doesn't put you in a tight financial position, I would go to the KCU interview. Options are great plus the tuition difference of 10k overall is nothing in the grand scheme of things. You should go where you fit best and what school you think will provide the best opportunity

I don't know why people are saying go to KCU for interviews. Options are nice when there are pros and cons of each. What pro does KCU have over OU-HCOM? Not saying KCU is bad in any way, just don't see any pros for why KCU over OU for an Ohio resident specifically

I don't know why people are saying go to KCU for interviews. Options are nice when there are pros and cons of each. What pro does KCU have over OU-HCOM? Not saying KCU is bad in any way, just don't see any pros for why KCU over OU for an Ohio resident specifically

I am open to living out of state. I also would like to go to the best school I can, meaning the one that is a best fit for me and has the most opportunities.

That's why. If he/she is open to it and wants to go to the best fit school, he can't do that if he doesn't take the interview. He can still accept the OH offer and go to the KCU interview too

That's why. If he/she is open to it and wants to go to the best fit school, he can't do that if he doesn't take the interview. He can still accept the OH offer and go to the KCU interview too

I feel you. I think what makes me biased in this scenario is because Ohio is a public school, and I know how huge that is. If Ohio's DO school was public I would agree with you to tell OP to consider best-fit. I only wouldn't go to Ohio for OP if he/she REALLY didn't have a good experience at OU-HCOM to begin with.