This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sgardner1414

future student doctor
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted to both Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine-Dublin and The Ohio State University College of Medicine. My goal is to stay in Columbus but (praise the Lord) I was accepted to both schools in the Columbus area and I now have the (good) problem of deciding which one to attend.

Here are my thoughts so far:

Both are great schools, OUHCOM may be better (in my opinion) than some of the others schools in Ohio (NEOCOM, Wright State & Toledo). Yes there is still that stigma with DO's but I'm not sure how much that carries over into the professional world. I know that the OSU Wexner Medical center highers DO's and has some of them as research faculty (which surprised me quite a bit...)

But in favor of OSUCOM, it is one highly ranking medical schools in the country according to US New and World Report, if that matters. Also, it is relatively more affordable than OUHCOM with tuition at OSUCOM begin ~$160,000 and OUHCOM being ~$200,000. OSUCOM has an academical medical center so there is sure to be more research and other opportunities available to students that wouldn't readily be available to a student at OUHCOM.

Lastly, students at allopathic medical schools can only take the USMLE while an osteopathic medical student is able to take both the COMLEX & USMLE. So, if a DO students scores highly on their board exams, this actually opens up more possible residency opportunities for them than it does for an MD student.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

You will get a great medical education at both, but OSU wins financially, and the resources available with their medical center and teaching hospital are invaluable. Also an MD degree is nice not having to contemplate whether to take both COMPLEX and USMLE.

Reactions: 1 user