Out-of-state tuition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mnnative

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just received an offer from CSU and am having a really hard time deciding if I should accept it. For non-sponsored students (outside of the WICHE group), we have to pay an additional $25,000 on top of tuition for all four years. It just seem ridiculous to me, but an offer is an offer and I'm afraid that if I turn it down this year I won't get in next year. I also didn't get in to my in-state school so not accepting CSU would mean waiting another year to go through all this again, and we all know how bad this sucks. Does anybody have any advise? How are other out-of-staters dealing with $50,000 a year in loans?!

Members don't see this ad.

If that were me, I would take it. At least it's a sure thing. There's no guarantee you'll get accepted to CSU again next year or your in-state school. This situation sucks, but that is because the system sucks. I really think schools are gouging out-of-state students. Does it really cost twice as much to deal with out-of-state people? I know this has to do with what federal/state money the school is getting and out-of-state tuition is an easy thing to raise and not hear complaints, but when most people have only 1 in-state school to hope for, we don't have a lot of choices other than out-of-state schools.

I'm broke anyway, so to me it is just a bigger loan. When the time comes, I will try to think of it as just a number on a piece of paper and not that I'm in debt up to my eyeballs.

I was/am in a similar situation, and I'm attending the out of state school. The money is intimidating but you'll be able to get by you just need to develop some fiscal sense and anti-spending resolution is you don't already. You probably won't be able to drive a new car or order the lobster at dinner for a while longer than others but you won't be sitting on your butt not don't what you love either....

Members don't see this ad :)
GO FOR IT!

Some of us have academic costs of $50k+ per year as in state residents (Penn anyone?). CSU is a great school and I strongly considered attending there myself. When all is said and done, you're going to have a substantial debt anyway, educational debt is "good debt" as they say anyway. Think of it as a small(er) home mortgage, and you can always consolidate and spread the repayment period out over many years. Its a gamble as far as whether or not youll get into your state school next year so I would say take the chance that youre being offered! :)

Good luck!

If you don't do it be preparred for admission anywhere else to get much harder. First VMCAS specifically asks you if you have gained acceptance, so it will be hard to hide. Why would you bother applying somewhere that you would not go to if accepted? You knew when you applied how much tuition was right? Some admissions committees will question your dedication to the field.

As for how you will deal with such a high tuition lots of us do it. I currently borrow 50000+ per year for my education and know I will be paying back loans for a long time. Trust me if I was in this field for the money I would have went MD and not DVM.
CSU is a great school. Congrats on your acceptance :thumbup:

I am basically here to echo what everyone else has already said.
CSU is a great school and Colorado is a really beautiful location. CSU was my first pick for veterinary school, but by the time I made it off the alternate list I had already committed to Cornell.
I am from Alaska which means I am not eligible for in state tuition anywhere. I pretty much just accepted the fact that veterinary school is going to be expensive, but I've wanted to go for as long as I can remember, and I know I am not going to ever be sorry.
I would say take your chance to go to CSU and be excited about it. You can be especially glad you found out now, instead of in July or August. Also, there are no guarantees that you will be accepted into your state school next year either as every school is just looking for something different.
Good luck!

PAThbrd said:
Think of it as a small(er) home mortgage, and you can always consolidate and spread the repayment period out over many years.

Smaller my butt! My debt will be worth more than my house by the time I'm done. I've been telling people, "Yeah, I could have had a really nice house for what I'm paying in tuition!" :laugh:

But anyway. I say go for it. Vet school is vet school and at least you're spending money on something that can never be taken away from you.

eaglemeag said:
Smaller my butt! My debt will be worth more than my house by the time I'm done. I've been telling people, "Yeah, I could have had a really nice house for what I'm paying in tuition!" :laugh:

But anyway. I say go for it. Vet school is vet school and at least you're spending money on something that can never be taken away from you.

Lol, well I guess it just depends on the area of the country you live in. Around where I live, 200k would not get you that great of a home... Maybe ten years ago, but prices in our area have skyrocketed over 200% since then.

PAThbrd said:
Lol, well I guess it just depends on the area of the country you live in. Around where I live, 200k would not get you that great of a home... Maybe ten years ago, but prices in our area have skyrocketed over 200% since then.
You can't even buy a condo for 200k here!

I agree with everyone else - Go For It!! Also, school loans are the most "forgivable" of loans meaning that when you apply for a home loan, little attention is paid to school loan debt. Also, the interest rates are much lower then other types of debt (ie, credit cards). It's a small price to pay considering you get to live your dreams. I am gladly taking on a few years of school loans for a lifetime of being a DVM.

Also, I second Chris03333 on the home prices - I live in Southern CA and am currently trying to buy a condo - so $$$!!

Congrats on your acceptance!!

Congratulations!! I know what you are going through, though. I, too, will be an out-of-stater at CO with that hefty fee. It's all relative, though. Many schools will cost more than that! Just remember that people do it all the time and come out shinning on the other end.

I say go for it too. To reiterate everyone else's points on here, there are no guarantees that you'll get in next year. Think of it as an investment. It's probably the biggest and most risk free one you'll ever make.