supershorty
Don't look so vexed, toots.
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I think they prefer a good GPA but it’s not a dealbreaker. I’ve just been following their instagram, and they said that a bad GPA can’t be outweighed with tons of experiences unless you have a good reason for the GPA being lower.I'm debating applying here. Do they have any kind of reputation for looking for anything specific in their applications? Their website is pretty vague.
I'm also from NC and it looks like the majority of their admits are from the western side of the US.
They started doing an internal evaluation/cut of the applicant pool this year they called a preliminary screening. It was confusing and never fully revealed how it was done but GPA did factor into applicants being cutI think they prefer a good GPA but it’s not a dealbreaker. I’ve just been following their instagram, and they said that a bad GPA can’t be outweighed with tons of experiences unless you have a good reason for the GPA being lower.
Just popping in to say don't let geographical factors dissuade you! I'm from the west coast and Washington is a favorite around here as many of the vets in our area went to WSU, so there are tons of applicants from the west. I don't think that means WSU favors the west coast applicants, just that there are that many more so it seems skewed.I'm debating applying here. Do they have any kind of reputation for looking for anything specific in their applications? Their website is pretty vague.
I'm also from NC and it looks like the majority of their admits are from the western side of the US.
An update to this they actually posted an Instagram about it! Out of state applicants are reviewed in this preliminary screening and anyone with a science GPA above a 3.5 and a last 45 GPA above 3.6 were automatically advanced further. Others fell into a different pool for further evaluation on their GPA and extenuating circumstances!They started doing an internal evaluation/cut of the applicant pool this year they called a preliminary screening. It was confusing and never fully revealed how it was done but GPA did factor into applicants being cut
Yes, only for in-state!Hi there! Does anyone know if WSU does interviews for in-state applicants? That's the only timeline I can't find from them.
Thanks a bunch!!Yes, only for in-state!
This link has the timeline: https://hub.wsu.edu/dvm-admissions/apply/admissions-timeline/
No portal until you receive the acceptance. Everything else will be via email for any announcement. The acceptance will also be a phone call too.Hi! is WSU main communications through email? is there also a portal or no? Thank you!
I had a lot of success with UC Berkeley extension. Though any in progress courses should have been listed on VMCAS so you may need to talk to any school that requires this.Need help finding online courses to satisfy biomedical course pre-reqs!
I submitted my VMCAS, have all the neccessary pre-reqs for WSU but realized that I still need another biomedical course. For context, I already graduted with my bachelors so I need to find an online program that allows me to take an upper-div biomedical course. Any suggestions! (also if someone could provide insight about how this may affect my application, pls lmk! thank u)
Last year on 12/06 we were notified if we had passed the preliminary screening (for nonresidents). On 1/16, we were informed if we were waitlisted/accepted, and on 2/20, they told us about the tiered waitlist.Looking at the past cycle in regards to internal GPA cut offs, when decisions date is closer, will applicants be expecting an email if they made it past the cut offs? Can someone clarify? Thank you!
I took an upper div through UC San Diego Extension and also had a pretty successful cycle. I think UCSD's prices were a little cheaper than Berkeley's as of last year. But like Indy said, I would check with any schools that require this, since they usually evaluate your prerequisites based on what you reported as completed or in progress on VMCAS.Need help finding online courses to satisfy biomedical course pre-reqs!
I submitted my VMCAS, have all the neccessary pre-reqs for WSU but realized that I still need another biomedical course. For context, I already graduted with my bachelors so I need to find an online program that allows me to take an upper-div biomedical course. Any suggestions! (also if someone could provide insight about how this may affect my application, pls lmk! thank u)
Hi! Congrats on getting in that is so awesome. So i have a couple questions. I cant find anywhere if out of state applicants are interviewed, i saw on this thread only in state are interviewed which is interesting to me. if so, when did you (or anyone else reading this if you are from out of state for WSU) hear for an interview? and I assume mid january for decisions release as the timeline implies? If anyone here has gotten rejected, when did you hear that by? any earlier than january? thanks everyone! and good luck!Hey everybody! I’m a current first-year vet student at WSU. If you have any questions about the interview process, town, or program in general, feel free to message me!
This is true, only in-state applicants are interviewed. OOS applicants hear whether they have passed the preliminary screening (GPA only) around November/December I believe. Decisions for OOS were released on January 16th last year (both acceptances and rejections).Hi! Congrats on getting in that is so awesome. So i have a couple questions. I cant find anywhere if out of state applicants are interviewed, i saw on this thread only in state are interviewed which is interesting to me. if so, when did you (or anyone else reading this if you are from out of state for WSU) hear for an interview? and I assume mid january for decisions release as the timeline implies? If anyone here has gotten rejected, when did you hear that by? any earlier than january? thanks everyone! and good luck!
I'm a 3rd year, but I got an interview invite the first week of November. I had my interview scheduled for mid-January and then got my acceptance at the end of January (this could be different now)!It says interviews for residents are in January any idea when interview invites usually go out?
Not yet I’m so nervousFirst week of November! Has anyone recieved any kind of letter yet?
Are you in state or OOS if you don’t mind me asking?I got an interview invitation this morning!!!!
Congratulations!! My understanding is that they don't do OOS interviewsI got an interview invite this morning as well. I am in state! I think OOS invites are at a later time, from their website.
Yes, you are correct. No interviews for OOSCongratulations!! My understanding is that they don't do OOS interviews
They don’t offer OOS interviews!I got an interview invite this morning as well. I am in state! I think OOS invites are at a later time, from their website.
Hi, fellow non-trad from a marketing background! Wishing you all the best!I received an interview invitation this morning as well. Very exciting! Congratulations y'all! I put all my eggs in one basket with this application--only WSU for me. I am a non-traditional student and mom coming from marketing .
I am! I haven’t heard anything yet thoughAny WICHE applicants here? 😃

I will be there! I also signed up for the tour before my interview. I'll be TIRED by the end of the day hahaSigned up for the Mixer at 5:30pm on 1/28. Who else will be there? Looking forward to meeting some of you.
Me!!Signed up for the Mixer at 5:30pm on 1/28. Who else will be there? Looking forward to meeting some of you.
Quick question- Does WSU have a laptop requirement? Some schools seem to make you purchase specific computersHey everybody! I’m a current first-year vet student at WSU. If you have any questions about the interview process, town, or program in general, feel free to message me!
We don’t have specific laptop requirement, but the models need to be able to run the programs for exams.Quick question- Does WSU have a laptop requirement? Some schools seem to make you purchase specific computers
Do a lot of students use iPads in addition to computers?We don’t have specific laptop requirement, but the models need to be able to run the programs for exams.
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.