over credit hours, need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kpizzle

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Okay, so I am in a dilemma right now. I want to take physics before graduating, but I'm in a limited seat undergrad science program at my university where the college already picks and registers semester classes for me as apart of the program. As a result, if I take physics, I will have to pay excess hours surcharge for both physics courses because I will be going over the hours allowed (120 hours) for graduation, as you probably know. So, should I just take the classes and pay the doubled tuition charge for each credit, or can I take the classes at a community college? Will med schools look down on that? All my other pre-reqs are taken at my university but I really don't want to pay double tuition for 8 credits (3 credits=$638......8 credits=$1702 normally .. x2= $3404 what I'd pay) because I'll be over my credit hours allowed. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

You might have to take the bullet, going to a CC is seen as trying to take a shortcut, and an easier class. (If in university already not starting out at a CC)

You might have to take the bullet, going to a CC is seen as trying to take a shortcut, and an easier class. (If in university already not starting out at a CC)

Hi thanks for the reply.

In high school, I took courses as a "dual enrolled" student. The cost is pretty unfortunate since in FL, tuition is doubled if you have excess hours. So do ya still think I should take them at university? The community college closest is Santa Fe College (apparently the #1 CC in the nation?) or is that considered taking an easier class?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you graduate without taking it then take it post-bacc at the university?

Just saw your reply about being in FL. You get 110% of your graduation total in Florida...so 120 hours to graduate means you get 132 before surcharge hits. Also nothing dual enrollment counts in excess credit. Are you sure you're hitting your excess credit limit?

Sorry...used to work for a Florida school so this stuff was my life for a couple years lol

Can you graduate without taking it then take it post-bacc at the university?

Just saw your reply about being in FL. You get 110% of your graduation total in Florida...so 120 hours to graduate means you get 132 before surcharge hits. Also nothing dual enrollment counts in excess credit. Are you sure you're hitting your excess credit limit?

Sorry...used to work for a Florida school so this stuff was my life for a couple years lol

Hi! Thanks for replying.

Yes, I will be 8 credits in excess with the (132 hours rule applied). I was going to take physics 1 this summer and then I would have 132 hours by graduation and take physics 2 and microbiology +lab at a CC. Or should I just pay the extra surcharge and do it all at university, but $3000 is a lot for a poor pre-med right now...

Hi! Thanks for replying.

Yes, I will be 8 credits in excess with the (132 hours rule applied). I was going to take physics 1 this summer and then I would have 132 hours by graduation and take physics 2 and microbiology +lab at a CC. Or should I just pay the extra surcharge and do it all at university, but $3000 is a lot for a poor pre-med right now...

I would first look into taking them post-bacc at the uni. Sometimes graduating then taking classes as non-degree seeking will let you out of the excess credit issue. I can't remember the specifics but I know I had students do it that way before to avoid the surcharge. Or take just Physics 2 & not the microbio. The school I was at was forgiving about CC classes post-bacc because they understood the excess credit issue. Not sure that they all would be. Out of state would be even more difficult to convince.

I think it will be ok to take it at a CC if everything else academically is good. Like if you have a 3.8+ science GPA, I dont think it will be that big a deal except for the schools that dont accept prereqs taken at a CC.

I think it will be ok to take it at a CC if everything else academically is good. Like if you have a 3.8+ science GPA, I dont think it will be that big a deal except for the schools that dont accept prereqs taken at a CC.

Hi, thanks for replying.

Well... I don't have a 3.8+ science gpa... so will that be a problem? I think I might just take the classes at university.

Hi, thanks for replying.

Well... I don't have a 3.8+ science gpa... so will that be a problem? I think I might just take the classes at university.

I just threw 3.8 as an arbitrary number. I would say if you're science gpa is so so, you should probably not take it at CC as it might look like a shortcut.

I just threw 3.8 as an arbitrary number. I would say if you're science gpa is so so, you should probably not take it at CC as it might look like a shortcut.

What is a so-so sgpa? Sorry I'm just paranoid as heck.

What is a so-so sgpa? Sorry I'm just paranoid as heck.

What are the schools you're aiming for? If its 3.3 ish I would definitely take at a 4 year. 3.5 it can be up in the air. I'd presume if you did very well on the MCAT physics section you can shift my reccomendations down a little.