Overall cost of the residency process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreamstar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a P4 student and I am preparing for the residency application process this upcoming winter/spring. I have looked into some sites that I'm interested in that are around the west cost (OR, WA), IL, UT, and CO. I am curious to know how much money is spent into the process with the interviews, going to mid year, and other expenses.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Most likely you'll spend 1-2.5k, depending on many different factors. For me, all the midyear costs added up to $800 (I had nothing subsidized by the school, but did not do PPS), spent about $300 on interview costs (only 1 that I flew to, and had miles for that thanks to opening a Delta credit card--first year is free), and I believe the Match fee was $119. Also 6 bucks per transcript for 9 transcripts. So thats $1273. Would be more if I got more than 4 interviews.

Depends on how many interviews you have, where they are, and whether you are able to "string" them together. I applied to two and interviewed at two that required a cross-country flight x 2. Here are my costs:

1) New suit + tailoring = $300
*make sure you get good tailoring...more important than the suit itself

2) Interview 1 flight = $280 RT
3) Interview 1 hotel = $110 (via Priceline)
4) Interview 1 car rental = $50

5) Interview 2 flight = $330 RT
6) Interview 2 hotel = $100 (via Priceline)
7) Interview 2 car rental = $40

8) Transcripts x 2 = $20
9) Thank you cards, misc. postage = $10
10) Thank you gifts for LOR's x 3 = $50

11) ASHP Match registration = ~$110

Total = $1400

Midyear is +/- now that I think about it...but hell go cuz it's fun, add another $1k. Also, miles will help...I actually didn't spend all of the above as cash, some of my flight legs and hotel stays were free from all the miles/points I've accrued over the years. If you don't have that luxury, then you'll have to pony up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did 11 interviews, which 6 required long distance traveling. I spent approximately $3k on hotels/car rental/airfare/applications (postage, thank you letters, etc). I probably would have saved a little had I traveled solely for interviews, but I usually stayed the entire weekend at most of the cities to do some sightseeing.

I probably would have saved a little had I traveled solely for interviews, but I usually stayed the entire weekend at most of the cities to do some sightseeing.

Eh, you did the right thing. Your fixed costs were going to be the same, the marginal addition of an extra night or two of hotel + car wouldn't add *that* much. Besides, one should consider the location of the program as well as the program itself. If you spend 12hrs a day on duty, the other 12hrs are in the city you're in, think about that.

The biggest cost will be your grades.
Clinical rotations are tough and a few B's will be an end to your pharmacy career.
I earned myself a Cplus and an B during interview period due to excessive travelling.
I've failed on the past 4 matches.
I really have no more possibilities open.
Matching is an exceptional opportunity for the exceptional few unfortunately.
The hotel costs and airfares are pennies compared to the rest of your career.

The biggest cost will be your grades.
Clinical rotations are tough and a few B's will be an end to your pharmacy career.
I earned myself a Cplus and an B during interview period due to excessive travelling.
I've failed on the past 4 matches.
I really have no more possibilities open.
Matching is an exceptional opportunity for the exceptional few unfortunately.
The hotel costs and airfares are pennies compared to the rest of your career.

uhm :eyebrow:

My Goddess, I went all out for my seven interviews. It all came out to a little over 4.5K which I will be writing off next year on taxes for a job hunt. I am also including my portfolio for each of the sites that was bound and covered (including my presentation). Don't forget about year (that was about 1K) and PPS.

My Goddess, I went all out for my seven interviews. It all came out to a little over 4.5K which I will be writing off next year on taxes for a job hunt. I am also including my portfolio for each of the sites that was bound and covered (including my presentation). Don't forget about year (that was about 1K) and PPS.

You itemize greater than your std. deduction? Rare for fresh grads.

On that note, anyone itemizing this expense making the argument that their intern job as an rx student counts for qualifying the "same occupation" restriction?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently a P4 student and I am preparing for the residency application process this upcoming winter/spring. I have looked into some sites that I'm interested in that are around the west cost (OR, WA), IL, UT, and CO. I am curious to know how much money is spent into the process with the interviews, going to mid year, and other expenses.

Thanks

well...do you live on the east coast or west? i'm gonna assume east.

midyear: definite must-do. easily a grand based on registration, airfare, hotel, eating/drinking, and CV/business cards/professional gear. more if you need proper attire (a well fitted suit goes a long way). and if you go to have fun as well, you better bring another grand for gambling, clubs, etc.

application BS: after you come home from midyear you have to register with the match which is about 115 IIRC. then, you could send stuff via first class mail but as a student, you will probably be neurotic and want tracking. so figure $6 bucks for each flat rate priority mail envelope. don't forget that everything has to be on fancy paper and nicely printed, and you have to run around and collect letters of rec and transcripts. don't forget thank you cards as well.

assuming you get interviews...figure airfare, taxi, hotel, a little food. figure about $300 for a round trip flight (probably more since it will probably be <30 days notice). some programs i've seen have made accommodations since they remember what it's like to be a student and offered a sofa to crash on, transportation, bought lunch and took us out for dinner/drinks, etc. if not, rental car is $50 bucks (more if you're under 25 and have no insurance), taxis are pricey, and you gotta get a hotel room.

lost wages: i had a solid part time job even thru rotations. doing all this stuff -> no dinero coming in (although i was able to work on CV, print stuff, etc at work).

Great input, what's the safest number of residencies a student should apply for, especially if considering applying to multiple states?

Great input, what's the safest number of residencies a student should apply for, especially if considering applying to multiple states?

There is no safe #.

I've known people who applied/interviewed at 10-14 and went unmatched. I applied to two and interviewed at both and matched.

If you vary your institutions, applying to 8-10 would be considered safe...12 if you're really nervous. Remember, you can always turn down interviews later. If you're a strong candidate and you don't apply to all top programs, 8 is a good #.

I used to say 4-5, but it is so competitive now. I think you need to apply to at least 10 programs. Chances are you won't get interviews at all of them.

There is no safe #.

I've known people who applied/interviewed at 10-14 and went unmatched. I applied to two and interviewed at both and matched.

If you vary your institutions, applying to 8-10 would be considered safe...12 if you're really nervous. Remember, you can always turn down interviews later. If you're a strong candidate and you don't apply to all top programs, 8 is a good #.

This is a good estimate. I applied to 12 and interviewed at 6 (didn't match). I think it's important to remember that you might not get interviews at every place you apply to, especially when programs are getting boatloads of applications. Though I wasn't the most competitive applicant...it all depends on how much you want to hedge your bets.

I used to say 4-5, but it is so competitive now. I think you need to apply to at least 10 programs. Chances are you won't get interviews at all of them.

What would you consider applying broadly? How do we know competitive programs versus less competitive? I was thinking that a good thing to do would be to apply to some "reach" residencies, some UMCs, and smaller/lesser known residencies. I know VAs are probably considered competitive, right?

Is there a way to tell who interviews first? I'd hate to run out of money for "top choice" type residencies (even if they don't end up top choice after becoming more familiar with them).

What would you consider applying broadly? How do we know competitive programs versus less competitive? I was thinking that a good thing to do would be to apply to some "reach" residencies, some UMCs, and smaller/lesser known residencies. I know VAs are probably considered competitive, right?

As you do more research you'll become more familiar with which programs are competitive vs less competitive. IMO large academic centers that have large programs PGY1s, PGY2s, been around for a long time, good reputation etc would be considered more desirable. It'll be obvious when you're at midyear and you have crowds of people surround specific programs.

I applied to 10 programs, 2 were "reach" programs where I wasn't sure if I would be invited to interview, the rest of them I felt competitive enough on paper to get an interview. 1 program I was sure they would rank me, and 1 was what I considered my "safety" b/c it was least competitive among all 10 imo.

Funny enough, I was rejected from 2 (1 reach, 1 middle), matched at my 1 reach program, and received no correspondence at my safety school (no rejection, no interview, only acknowledged they received my app)

Is there a way to tell who interviews first? I'd hate to run out of money for "top choice" type residencies (even if they don't end up top choice after becoming more familiar with them).

Some sites list the dates they'll be interviewing on their website. Most of the time its a few weeks after their application due date that they send out interview requests. Most places will give you a few dates to select from or to rank preferred dates so you'll have options. If you're worried about running out of money then schedule your top choices early... however, I recommend using less desirable places for your first 1-2 interviews to "prep" for the process, to become comfortable answering questions, asking questions, overall, being comfortable going through the interview day.

My first interview was with a site I knew very well b/c I had 2 rotations there, I knew everyone that was interviewing me so I was supposed to be comfortable.... but it was really nerve wrecking. By my third interview it was a breeze... which was important b/c this site was my no 1 choice.

I'm on the east coast and was able to drive (5hr was the furthest) to all my interviews. I also had friends/relatives in nearby towns to stay with so I didn't have to spend too much money, I recommend doing this! :D

Last edited:
I know VAs are probably considered competitive, right?

Depends on the VA. I interviewed at one that said it only got about 7 or 8 apps per spot, and ended up scrambling both of its positions. The one in which I matched had 20 apps per spot and matched all its positions, and many VAs have more applicants than that. Just depends on the quality of the program. Not all VAs are created equal.