Overall GPA Vs Science GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Agent47

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
WHAT if your Overall GPA is good and Science is not good? Does it make big difference. Let's see if Overall is 3.7 and Science 3.3 or 3.2. Does that limit someone's choice from getting into med school?

That someone is ":confused: "

Members don't see this ad.

Try the search. Cue armybound's little graphic thing.

Yes, that would definitely be a red flag. Med schools want to see that you can handle rigorous science classes. Usually one's science GPA is slightly less than their overall GPA but a discrepancy of 0.5 is quite significant.

Members don't see this ad :)
To have such a gpa you'd need B+ in all the sciences (or some Cs balanced with A/A-) and almost all As in the non-science courses (to balance the poorer science gpa). Some might ask, "does this person belong in a science intensive program or are they better suited for some other career path?"

One might also consider where the As came from. If it looks like the great grades are in mickey mouse classes then the entire gpa is discounted.

WHAT if your Overall GPA is good and Science is not good? Does it make big difference. Let's see if Overall is 3.7 and Science 3.3 or 3.2. Does that limit someone's choice from getting into med school?

Take more Science courses!

my science is .22 less than my overall and i didn't get any crap for it in interviews. but basically i just do really well (much better) in non-science and also my science breakdown was A in biochem, As and A-s in upper level bios, B+s and Bs in intro bio, Bs in physics and labs, As in chem and orgo so it wasn't that bad. i didn't really have any fake/easy sciences. All As and A-s in all the rest of the labs. depends on your breakdown, personally i think its okay if your worse grades are in intro classes and you do much better in upper levels. oh and i'm a bio major so there are a helluvalot of upper level bios to balance it out. so as the person above said, take more sciences that you are good at.

I have the opposite problem. 3.2 overall, but a 3.9 science. Luckily when I was f---ing up in school, I wasn't taking sciences, but still - its an upward battle. :(