-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Overall GPA vs. Science GPA
Started by tkhan180
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Science GPA is highly valued.
Some schools I know will look at that before anything else.
If your sGPA is much much lower, consider taking some upper level biology classes to prove you can handle a meds curriculum.
Some schools I know will look at that before anything else.
If your sGPA is much much lower, consider taking some upper level biology classes to prove you can handle a meds curriculum.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
oh ok thanks! do you know if social sci. count as part of a sci. gpa or is it strictly math, bio, chem, and physics courses?
Just BCPM
oh ok thanks! do you know if social sci. count as part of a sci. gpa or is it strictly math, bio, chem, and physics courses?
Social Science does definitely NOT count.
Anything that is BCPM. There's a thread on this subject. Do a search to be sure.
Social Science does definitely NOT count.
Anything that is BCPM. There's a thread on this subject. Do a search to be sure.
BCPM means Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Math, correct?
Unless your sGPA = cGPA then sGPA HAS to be lower. This is just basic math.How much emphasis do med schools put on the science GPA? Mine is lower than my overall GPA, but I was wondering if it was a big deal or not, it would really help in deciding which schools to apply to. Thanks!
Now, if you mean significantly lower it can be a serious issue. How much difference are we talking about here and what was your major in? And yes, that's what BCPM means.
Unless your sGPA = cGPA then sGPA HAS to be lower. This is just basic math.
😕

(geekchick is more polite than me)
cGPA= 3.74, sGPA=3.67. i don't think that's drastically different.
omg you're fine.
your GPA is perfect.
You are absolutely fine.
Unless your sGPA = cGPA then sGPA HAS to be lower. This is just basic math.
Not really sure what you mean here. My sGPA is 4.00 and my cGPA is 3.95...
Unless your sGPA = cGPA then sGPA HAS to be lower. This is just basic math.
..If you do better in BCPM than in humanities and social sciences, which some people do, wouldn't you have a higher sGPA?
Or am I missing some really basic math here

Unless your sGPA = cGPA then sGPA HAS to be lower. This is just basic math.
NightGod also just said in another thread that AMCAS doesn't factor in +/- into the GPA calculations...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
NightGod also just said in another thread that AMCAS doesn't factor in +/- into the GPA calculations...
What do you mean by +/- ?
What do you mean by +/- ?
I assume that he means B+ == B == B-, C+ == C == C-, ...
you must suck at mathUnless your sGPA = cGPA then sGPA HAS to be lower. This is just basic math.
Now, if you mean significantly lower it can be a serious issue. How much difference are we talking about here and what was your major in? And yes, that's what BCPM means.
A- is 3.7 and B+ is 3.3.What do you mean by +/- ?
So does it help you if your science GPA is higher than your overall?
A- is 3.7 and B+ is 3.3.
So does it help you if your science GPA is higher than your overall?
Gotcha. They most definitely do as some A-'s resulted in less than a 4.00 (and they explicitly state that they do 😛)
you must suck at math
aaaaaand this guy is less polite than me
Ya I think science GPA and MCAT are the first 2 things schools look at
a little off topic, but do schools consider senior year GPA? ( I am a rising senior).
a little off topic, but do schools consider senior year GPA? ( I am a rising senior).
My pre-med advisor said schools base it off of your first 3 years...so probably not. I'm not totally sure on that though.
This whole cGPA vs. sGPA has gotten me confused about what schools to apply to now...I thought I had it figured out, but now I'm not sure if I should apply to a school if my cGPA meets their standards but my sGPA doesn't. Anyone have advice on this?
This whole cGPA vs. sGPA has gotten me confused about what schools to apply to now...I thought I had it figured out, but now I'm not sure if I should apply to a school if my cGPA meets their standards but my sGPA doesn't. Anyone have advice on this?
NightGod also just said in another thread that AMCAS doesn't factor in +/- into the GPA calculations...
NightGod also said something about having to explain vaccination to people that are going to be doctors and how this surprised him/her.
For real? haha
Ya I think science GPA and MCAT are the first 2 things schools look at
a little off topic, but do schools consider senior year GPA? ( I am a rising senior).
I'd be interested in knowing this--there are some classes in my major with a reputation for being difficult and I would MUCH rather avoid them given the chance.
NightGod also said something about having to explain vaccination to people that are going to be doctors and how this surprised him/her.
For real? haha
He could make a business out of the signatures s/he's making for others.
I'd be interested in knowing this--there are some classes in my major with a reputation for being difficult and I would MUCH rather avoid them given the chance.
If you're applying before your senior year, those grades won't be on there. If you apply later, they will. Adcoms look at all grades they have, and the only separations they make have to do with grad work, which they still look at, but separately.
Ya I think science GPA and MCAT are the first 2 things schools look at
a little off topic, but do schools consider senior year GPA? ( I am a rising senior).
They're mostly going to be looking at whatever your grades/GPA are when you submit your application. You'll be able to update schools with your fall semester grades once you get them, but that's fairly late in the cycle. That said, if you did well, it may help you get an interview if you're still waiting for one or help you if you're post-interview waiting on a decision or on a waitlist. I can't comment on how MUCH it helps, but many schools are welcome to updates and displays of continued interest.
You'll also have to submit final transcripts to the school where you decide to matriculate, but just don't completely let your grades go that last semester and you'll be fine.
They're mostly going to be looking at whatever your grades/GPA are when you submit your application.
+1. Many schools explicitly state that they will not recalculate your GPA based on fall grades, but they will 'consider them' if you submit them as an update anyway, so I guess it couldn't hurt.
+1. Many schools explicitly state that they will not recalculate your GPA based on fall grades, but they will 'consider them' if you submit them as an update anyway, so I guess it couldn't hurt.
What if you choose not to update 😛
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What if you choose not to update 😛
I don't think that schools expect you to send updates for your fall grades... meaning, if you did not send them I doubt schools would assume that you did poorly in the fall.
Does AMCAS recalculate one's GPA or use the one on the college transcript?
For example, lets sat Student X got a A- in Biology.
If AMCAS doesn't count the +/-, then would that grade translate into just an A (4.0) or would it remain a 3.7 (this is how the college calculates it)?
For example, lets sat Student X got a A- in Biology.
If AMCAS doesn't count the +/-, then would that grade translate into just an A (4.0) or would it remain a 3.7 (this is how the college calculates it)?
Does AMCAS recalculate one's GPA or use the one on the college transcript?
For example, lets sat Student X got a A- in Biology.
If AMCAS doesn't count the +/-, then would that grade translate into just an A (4.0) or would it remain a 3.7 (this is how the college calculates it)?
I was under the impression that pluses and minuses count--just not A+'s. Right?
Does AMCAS recalculate one's GPA or use the one on the college transcript?
For example, lets sat Student X got a A- in Biology.
If AMCAS doesn't count the +/-, then would that grade translate into just an A (4.0) or would it remain a 3.7 (this is how the college calculates it)?
They calculate their own GPA. Yes, they consider an A- a 3.7 (and compensate accordingly for the rest of the +/- grades).
Correct.I was under the impression that pluses and minuses count--just not A+'s. Right?
I was under the impression that pluses and minuses count--just not A+'s. Right?
Correct. Also, the AMCAS will calculate your GPA itself. It may be the same as what's on your transcript or not, but it will probably be pretty close. There have been posts here about how the AMCAS's GPA calculation screwed someone, but occasionally there are posts that the AMCAS raised their GPA slightly.

Correct. Also, the AMCAS will calculate your GPA itself. It may be the same as what's on your transcript or not, but it will probably be pretty close. There have been posts here about how the AMCAS's GPA calculation screwed someone, but occasionally there are posts that the AMCAS raised their GPA slightly.![]()
Some schools have -'s equal 0.66 repeating and +'s equal 0.33 repeating instead of 0.7 and 0.3 respectively for AMCAS. So conceivably if you have more -'s than +'s you will get a slight bump.
Unless your sGPA = cGPA then sGPA HAS to be lower. This is just basic math.
Yes, I know that there are about 10 other posts that point out how incorrect this is, but I just had to weigh in.
My cGPA is 3.04, my sGPA is 3.77. Holy mathematics!
What if AMCAS screws up your GPA from what it is on your transcript? Which one do med schools actually consider the 'real' GPA?
Whatever AMCAS say. It's not a screw-up, AMCAS has conversions for different schools/grading systems.
Schools never see your transcript, so it is whatever AMCAS goes with.
What if AMCAS screws up your GPA from what it is on your transcript? Which one do med schools actually consider the 'real' GPA?
The one on AMCAS.
What if AMCAS screws up your GPA from what it is on your transcript? Which one do med schools actually consider the 'real' GPA?
AMCAS does not "screw up" your GPA from your transcript. It is expected that your GPA will differ from your transcript; this fact is rather heavily pointed out to you in the manual. Your AMCAS GPA is the one considered by med schools.
They're mostly going to be looking at whatever your grades/GPA are when you submit your application. You'll be able to update schools with your fall semester grades once you get them, but that's fairly late in the cycle. That said, if you did well, it may help you get an interview if you're still waiting for one or help you if you're post-interview waiting on a decision or on a waitlist. I can't comment on how MUCH it helps, but many schools are welcome to updates and displays of continued interest.
You'll also have to submit final transcripts to the school where you decide to matriculate, but just don't completely let your grades go that last semester and you'll be fine.
Thanks! Gee should have left all the hard classes till senior year 😛
Similar threads
- Replies
- 14
- Views
- 10K