"Overcoming" adversity?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meretalking

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I hate to start another adversity essay thread, but I haven't really found an answer to my question.

I have been considering writing about my mother's cancer for my adversity/challenge essays, specifically about having to go back to school during her treatment (across the state), maybe how hard it was to see my mother who has always been superwoman in my eyes become physically weak, hearing her cry on the phone, etc, and my coping skills. Lesson's learned: how to continue with what I need to do even when emotionally distressed, to accept things that are out of my control, to be strong when others need me to be, even if I don't feel strong

I'm stuck on how to talk about this as something that I overcame, though. I didn't really overcome anything; I just got through it, and luckily so did my mom. Is that okay, or should I instead write about something that had an actual solution to it? For example: I had a summer where I was really tight on money and nearly didn't make rent. I couldn't get more hours at my job and hadn't been able to find another one, but luckily I won a scholarship essay contest that I entered during that time and it got me through. Lessons learned: be resourceful, never give up?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should write about your mother. That could be a really moving story.

Sometimes overcoming adversity isn't about defeating it. It's just about getting through it.

I think you should write about your mother. That could be a really moving story.

Sometimes overcoming adversity isn't about defeating it. It's just about getting through it.

Thanks! I guess I hadn't thought about "overcoming" like that.